Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations - Book Excerpt by John L Turner

All eyes in the operating room were on me. All ears waited. What was I to do?...

God Giveth, God Taketh Away:

Mrs. Ibarra’s Gift

humanbrain (40K)In operating room 3, the only audible sounds were the soft wheeze of the anesthesiologist’s respirator and the occasional soft click of instruments being passed between rubber-gloved hands. Through the lenses of the operating microscope, I could clearly see the magnified stereoscopic images of Mrs. Ibarra’s brain tumor, a large peach-sized outgrowth of the dura (a thin leather- like membrane) that covers the brain. This benign lesion was behind this 72-year-old woman’s right eye; total removal would be a cure. For the past four hours I had been slowly, but steadily, removing the growth piecemeal-the hard way-with electric forceps and wire-cutting loops (small circular heated wires on the end of a plastic wand). As the loop sliced through the tumor, smoke and vapor obscured the field. My assistant, Dr. Peterson,sucked the smoke away with his metal suction tip. I longed for the ultrasonic aspirator that I had used in training; it would have made this job much easier.

Four hours had elapsed since Mrs. Ibarra’s surgery began and I had one remaining portion of tumor left-a small, scraggly clump of cells at the bottom of the operative field hardly bigger than a pencil eraser.

"Just one little piece remaining," I told Dr. Peterson. He could see it too; he had an excellent view through his observer’s eye­pieces. I easily sliced through the remaining tumor with the cut­ting loops and then suddenly, like an explosion, the field of view turned bright red.


Eventually, through the process of suctioning away the ob­scuring blood, I came to a startling realization: the last small piece of tumor had invaded the carotid artery, the major artery supplying the right side of the brain. The overlying tumor cells hid this fact from me. Removal of that final portion had taken out a section of the artery’s wall; without applying pressure to seal it off, the vessel would bleed profusely. I initiated repair of the vessel.

"Silver clip," I commanded. The nurse handed me long- handled clip-applying forceps.

Because of the invasion by the tumor, the clips would not take a solid grasp; no matter how many times I tried, they didn’t work.

Dr. Flower, the anesthesiologist, said, "Are you going to get it? I’ve given her three units of blood.

Divine Intervention-God Giveth, God Taketh

The carotid artery has cut loose; I have to repair the arterial wall," I replied. Dr. Flower returned to his position at the head of the table behind the drapes.

"Suture, eight zero," I requested as I continued to peer into the microscope lenses. I began the slow and tedious process of sewing the vessel, but was confronted with another problem: the walls of the artery were softened by the tumor, and the suture would not take a solid grip but merely pull through when tightened, causing further injury to the vessel.

I repeated my efforts with clips and sutures while minutes multiplied. I had spent four hours trying to stop the blood loss. Dr. Flower replaced the woman’s entire blood volume with do­nor blood; she was now a candidate for developing dreaded com­plications that can result after massive blood transfusion. My patient had been under general anesthesia for more than eight hours and had received 10 pints of blood. I was nowhere close to being finished. It appeared as through I were about to experience my first loss of a patient during surgery, and would be intro­duced to the feeling of having caused a patient’s death. I should have foreseen the possibility that the last remaining piece of tu­mor was a sticky wicket and just left it alone.

All eyes in the operating room were on me. All ears waited. What was I to do? I had exhausted all of my options… all but one! I never thought of praying before this day. Although I had been an acolyte in the Episcopal Church as a youth, I had no interest in religion. Having trained in physics, I doubted the sig­nificance of prayer and was skeptical about the existence of God. I had been too busy with academics during the past 21 years to allow time for religion. But today I prayed with sincerity. I would have fallen to my knees if I had not been scrubbed in and sterile.

I felt incapable of saving the life of this patient. I took a deep breath and exhaled slowly. I needed to connect with that force. As I looked through the scope, I prayed silently: If there is a God, a higher power, then I need your help. It is not Mrs. Ibarra’s fault that she may die. I have done all that I can do. I am asking for help. Don’t let her die on the table; help me to repair this damaged artery. Please!

I took a second deep breath - and went back into the breach.

"Suture," I said. For what seemed to be the umpteenth time, the scrub nurse obeyed my request. Once more, I carefully tried to approximate the torn vessel’s walls.

"Clip," I said. She handed me clip after clip until, after 15 minutes, I had applied several clips and snippets of suture, trying to bring the remaining walls of the artery together without oc­cluding the vessel. To my amazement, the operative field remained as dry as a bone! No bleeding. I was pleasantly stunned. I’d done nothing out of the ordinary during that last 15 minutes except to repeat the previous attempts of the past few hours. But this time, the sutures and clips held firm. The prayer-the silent plea-had worked. The damaged artery showed no sign of bleed­ing. Everything at the base of the skull looked perfect.

"We’re out of here," I told the scrub nurse and my assistant. All that remained was to close the operative site. This took 45 minutes, but it was a walk in the park compared to the ordeal I had faced over the past nine hours. Now, believing that my prayers had produced the miracle, I put forth another silent request: I have one more favor to ask. Please do not let her be comatose. Let her wake up and heal quickly. Do not let her become stroked out and paralyzed, but instead let her speech and strength be normal.

Divine Intervention-God Giveth, God Taketh

Let her come out of this in the best possible way. If you do this, I’ll be as good a person as I can possibly be.

When helping to move her from the operating table for the trip to the Intensive Care Unit, Dr. Flower said, "You know, you have to learn that you can’t make ‘good enough’ better."

This case taught me that there is a higher power. It had seemed to flow through me when called upon. Was this the God who created us in His image? Alternatively, was it a force, an energy that is available when summoned to supercharge our meager hu­man efforts? At the time, I was unsure just what to call it. It was there waiting for my call, and when asked, it came to my assis­tance. Although signs pointed to God, a nagging question both­ered me. Was it something within me that required the slow, deep breathing and mental refocusing for its activation? What­ever the mechanism, it was now a moot point-Mrs. Ibarra was going to at least make it to the ICU and I would be forever thankful. Now if she could just pull through intact, I would be the second-happiest person on the island.

Mrs. Ibarra not only survived the surgery, but she healed quickly with little neurological sequelae. She was discharged in seemingly normal condition one week later. Besides ptosis (a slight droop) of her right eyelid, she had a second problem. I found out about it three months after surgery when she came to my office for a final post-operative checkup.

"How is your eye?" I asked.

"Oh about the same, doc," she replied, "I’ve learned to live with it, and it’s not bad at all. But I have a problem. My husband will not give me enough sex!" She smiled at me, and I smiled back. That was a great complaint for a woman in her seventh decade of life.

"I don’t think I can help you with that," I replied. "Are there any other physical problems?"

"Not really. Say, I have something for you, doctor." She pulled a large piece of lacquered wood from her shopping bag. On it were two engraved Japanese kanji. The patient, however, was from the Philippines. I was confused. The Japanese characters must be of special importance.

"What is this?" I asked. "What does it say?"

"Oh, I don’t really know, I’m not Japanese. But when I found it, I had the feeling that somehow, in some way, doctor, it was for you. This is what you need."

"Well, thank you very much. I will treasure it and think of you often."

She smiled again, and I returned her smile in kind.

"This is your last visit with me, Mrs. Ibarra. You have done well; the scan we did last week reveals no further tumor growth; in fact, the scan was normal. I will recommend to your doctor that he perform a follow-up scan in six months to confirm that everything is still okay. If you have a question or would like to see me, please call anytime."

Later on, I asked a few of my surgical colleagues if they had experienced a case where they could not stop the bleeding. The response was uniformly, "Yes, why?"

"What did you do?"

And again, the reply was always the same: "What can you do?"

At the end of the year, I hosted a Christmas party at my office. During the festivities, I pulled my friend Dr. Nagashima aside and showed him the calligraphy that Mrs. Ibarra had given me. "What does that mean?" I asked.

He peered at it for a moment through his thick eyeglasses.

Calligraphy (7K)

"Heiwa," he said.

"Roughly translated, it means peace."

And indeed, as a result of my intra-operative prayer, Mrs. Ibarra survived. Now that I knew a higher power was with me, I was at peace, confident that I could over-come any difficulties either on my own or with help, on those rare occasions when good enough truly needs to be made better.

Sara’s Sudden Demise

Every life has dark tracts and long stretches of somber tint, and no representation is true to fact which dips its pencil only in light, and flings no shadows on the canvas. -Alexander MacLaren

I continued to bask in the blissful feeling of serenity that resulted from the prayerful experience that ostensibly saved the life of Mrs. Ibarra. I augmented my budding conviction in the unseen spiritual world (and a higher power) when I became "born again" at a local Pentecostal church.

Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations

I’d connected with the uni­versal force (that I now called God), and felt as if I could ask it to aid me at any time. I became filled with the Holy Spirit. Time passed, until an otherwise routine day changed dramatically into one of the saddest days of my life. It was an experience that caused me to rethink my recent religious conversion and to search for another answer to the mysteries of life and death.

Sara DeAngelo came with her parents for a consultation. Nine years old, she radiated great beauty and spirit. Her smile was adorable and by her appearance and manner, I could tell that one day she could potentially be a fashion model. She had been blessed with great looks. I was struck by her natural charm and her soft- spoken, friendly nature, seemingly years beyond her age. Her parents worked in the sugar industry and had recently moved to Hawaii. The girl had a ventriculoperitoneal shunt-a bypass tube with a valve that drains cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) from the brain to the abdomen to treat hydrocephalus (enlargement of the fluid spaces of the brain). The shunt was performed in the first days of her life. There had been no problems with the device since its insertion, but in time, she would outgrow the length of tubing in her abdomen and it would have to be replaced. Shunts also can become obstructed.

Shunts come in many varieties. The most common type is a flexible silicone catheter that is inserted into the brain. This is done by placing a small hole in the back of the head and inserting the catheter into the ventricular fluid system deep within the brain. A valve mechanism allows one-way flow of CSF from brain to abdomen. Tunneled under the skin, a discharge tube allows drainage into the abdominal cavity. Babies born with "water on the brain" suffer from CSF buildup when egress from the ventricular cavities of the brain is blocked. A pressure-relieving procedure must be performed quickly. Sara had such a shunting procedure after birth and had done well.

Divine Intervention-God Giveth, God Taketh

Sara conversed with me easily and submitted to a neurologi­cal examination without duress. Her parents were pleased as they observed our interaction, and at the end of the consultation they requested that I be available should the shunt require surgical treatment. I agreed and told them how to contact me in case of emergency. I scheduled an X-ray to estimate the remaining length of tubing. As a result, I determined that she could grow a few more inches in height before modification would be necessary. I admired this little girl and mused about someday having a child of my own as sweet as Sara DeAngelo.

Everything stayed quiet for many months. Then one day, the emergency room called. Sara had suddenly become seriously ill with complaints of severe headache and came to the emer­gency department for treatment. A CAT scan showed obstruc­tive hydrocephalus with her ventricular system under high pressure. The shunt was blocked. I arrived at the hospital within minutes to find the mother holding her retching child over a sink in the X-ray department, suffering from the increased pres­sure in her head that, if untreated, would soon lead to brain her­niation as pressure forced brain tissue through the opening at the base of the skull. Coma and death would quickly follow. My evaluation showed the shunt to be occluded at the valve; I planned to insert a new system. I explained the procedure and its risks to the parents and they requested that surgery be done. Within the hour, I was scrubbing for surgery.

Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations

In the operating room I glanced at the monitor; her respira­tory and heart rates were normal. The anesthesiologist waited for me to begin. I put on gown and gloves and went to the table.

"Knife," I said. The nurse gave me the necessary scalpel and I opened the old incision, disconnected the valve and-suddenly, without warning, the ventricular catheter fractured and disap­peared into the brain.

"Damn it!" I exclaimed, perhaps a little too loud.

It had been old and brittle. To retrieve it could cause injury to the brain and might stir up bleeding that could be difficult or impossible to control. It was better to let it float forever within the ventricular chamber. I inserted a new system without diffi­culty and made sure that it properly drained the fluid drop by drop. I closed both incisions and applied sterile dressings. Sara went to recovery and then to the pediatrics unit, her room di­rectly across from the nursing station. The nurses would keep a close eye on her. Sara’s father planned to spend the night in her room. I told him of the difficulty with the old tubing breaking off and disappearing within the brain, and of my decision not to try and recover it. He understood.

I returned home that evening feeling good about the surgery. Before retiring, I called the pediatric floor. Sara was reported to be sleeping comfortably with normal vital signs.

"Remember to check on her routinely as ordered."

"Of course doctor," the nurse replied, "she’s doing just fine." I awoke with a start at 6 a.m., rubbed my eyes, and wondered about Sara. I had slept through the night without a phone call, so apparently she was doing well. Showering, I mentally reviewed my schedule for the day: office appointments were the only tasks after morning rounds. I would have preferred surgery, as office evaluations tend to be tedious, although nec­essary, drudgeries.

Suddenly, the phone rang. It was my answering service. "Code Blue Pediatrics, doctor, your patient!"

I could not believe it. I threw on a scrub suit and ran to my car. I lived only a mile or two from the hospital and I arrived within minutes to face a flurry of activity in Sara’s room. The on-call anesthesiologist was there with several nurses and a crash cart of medical supplies. The child was intubated; a machine ven­tilated her lungs.

I grabbed a hypodermic needle from the cart and inserted it quickly through the scalp and into the shunt valve. Maybe the new shunt had malfunctioned or the old ventricular catheter had caused an obstruction and buildup of fluid pressure. To my amaze­ment, there was no sign of high pressure. Only a few small drops of fluid came from the needle. The valve has a plastic portion that can be pumped with using thumb pressure-it operated normally. I lifted her eyelids; her pupils were fully dilated and did not respond to light. This was an ominous sign of brain death. Sara was transferred to the intensive care unit. I spoke with her dad, who had just walked into the room.

"What happened?" he cried.

"I’m not sure. Can you tell me how it went during the night? The nurses report that she had a peaceful sleep until just before six this morning when they found her comatose and unresponsive."

Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations

"I spent the entire night with her," he said slowly, crushed by the rapidity of recent events and the now critical condition of his daughter. "She whimpered occasionally and complained of mild pain where you made the incisions, but all in all, I was quite pleased with her progress. I thought it would be okay to run down for a cup of coffee. When I returned, the room was filled with doctors and nurses. They said her heart stopped."

As we walked to the ICU, I told Sara’s distraught father that I wanted to do a brain scan to see if the shunt was decompressing the ventricles and if the old tube had somehow caused damage, bleeding, or obstruction. He consented, and we went from the ICU to the CT scan with Sara. The scan was normal. Sara re­mained comatose with fixed and dilated pupils. She had no his­tory of cardiac or any disease other than the aforementioned hydrocephalus at birth.

I sat by the bedside holding her hand, thinking and rethink­ing this case. Would I have done anything differently? Should I have sent her to the ICU after surgery with a special monitor in case her breathing stopped? No, the pediatric nurses were always on top of things, and her room was directly across from their station. There was really no need for special monitoring. Should I have tried to recover the lost tubing from the ventricle? No, that may have caused more problems.

"Doctor, may I begin?" said Thomas Bearden, the brain-wave technician, as he prepared to wheel his electroencephalograph (EEG) into the room. This test would confirm brain death.

"Of course," I said. As he attached the scalp electrodes using conductive paste, I turned to look out the window. The parking lot was slowly filling up as doctors arrived to begin their daily ritual of morning rounds. It was quiet in the room except for the occasional hiss of the ventilator as it kept Sara’s lungs and blood well oxygenated.

Divine Intervention-God Giveth, God Taketh

After Thomas finished, I saw that the recording was flat line (no electrical activity) at the highest sensitivity setting of the ma­chine. There could be no question about brain death, an irrevers­ible condition in spite of the continued beating of her heart and mechanical inflation of her lungs.

I gave the parents the sad news. I told them I had no idea how or why their daughter died suddenly. I requested an au­topsy. Maybe it would reveal if the catheter was the cause of her death. In addition, it might have disclosed an unknown heart condition that could have led to cardiac arrest. I needed to know the etiology of her demise.

"Doctor," the father said, "we understand your concern and your pain. It may be that we will never know what happened. Although an autopsy may help you to understand, we have care­fully thought this out. We would prefer, as would Sara, that she be an organ donor. Her heart, liver, kidneys, and eyes may give someone else a better life. My wife and I sincerely believe this would be her wish."

"Are you sure? There is a chance the old tubing may have -"

"Please doctor," he interrupted. "I really do understand your concern, and we empathize with you, but we feel the most ben­efit will be to donate her organs."

I wiped a tear away. It was indeed a sad day to see this beautiful child gone from the world. Yesterday, she had been her normal cheerful self, dressing for school, when she began to com­plain of a headache. By the afternoon she had started to vomit, a result of the pressure developing within her brain. Now it was over. I was dumbfounded and unable to understand this fatal series of events.

The organ harvest team took Sara to the operating room. Her heart, lungs, liver, and kidneys were deemed suitable for donation, as were the corneas of her eyes. As she was wheeled from the room, I sighed in grief, lowered my head and gave Sara a silent farewell.

A few days later, the parents called to invite me to a funeral event for Sara, which they called a "Celebration of Life." As I drove the 50 miles to the small church, I again pondered the case. If I had to do it over I would do the same thing: leave the old tube, nurse the patient on the pediatrics floor, and leave the same routine orders for post-op nursing assessment. I would feel comfortable, even if it were my child. Would this ever happen a second time? It could, as medicine is an art as well as a practice. But I sincerely hoped that I would not have to face such a tragic situation again. I arrived at the church in time for the celebration of life.

"We thank all of our family and friends for coming today," the mother said. About 50 or more friends and relatives had gathered for the event. "We want to say how fortunate we feel to have had Sara in our lives for the past nine years. She was truly a gift from God and provided us with untold joy and happiness." Her remarks were followed by a message from the father and brief remarks from a few friends of the family. The service ended with a meal of local-style food and drink. I offered my condo­lences to the family and left.

Divine Intervention-God Giveth, God Taketh

The universal force, the higher power that came through with Mrs. Ibarra, was unaccountably absent in Sara’s case. I was more than disappointed. I felt deeply saddened and baffled. I decided to continue my investigation of a spiritual world to determine if there was such a thing as a universal force. It is of note that years later, when I observe my 3-year-old son laughing and playing, and when seeing how he fondly looks at me, I can’t help but wonder, could this be Sara?


Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations: A Doctor’s Journey Through the Worlds of Divine Intervention, Near-Death Experiences and Universal Energy is a nonfiction narrative about the surgical career and spiritual quest of Dr. John L. Turner and his evolutionary journey into the field of Integral Medicine. After graduating from the Ohio State University with a degree in engineering physics, Dr. Turner continued in graduate school at the Ohio State University, Department of Physics.

Three years into the PhD program, he was given a book about Edgar Cayce, The Sleeping Prophet. This changed the course of his life! He was excited about the existence of a spiritual world and made immediate plans to attend the Ohio State University’s College of Medicine where he earned his M.D. He completed his internship year in general surgery and his first year neurosurgical residency at Ohio State University. He completed the remaining four years of neurosurgical training at The Cleveland Clinic Foundation.

Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations, is the twenty-year story of Dr. Turner’s contributions to the field of neurosurgery through Integral Medicine. The concept of Integral Medicine has been written about by notable members of the medical community, including Andrew Weil, Larry Dossey, Deepak Chopra, Mehmet Oz and Dean Ornish. Each of these writers is a physician who specializes in internal medicine or surgery. What makes John Turner similar to these writers is that he, too, is a physician. What makes him different from these writers is that he is a neurosurgeon. In fact, he is the only brain surgeon to write of medicine from this perspective: hand’s on use of complementary techniques prior to, during and after surgery, and exploration of pathways that lead to the spiritual world.

The tools of the surgeon normally have more immediate, measurable results on patients’ health and well-being. With the opportunity to study and operate on the brain, Dr. Turner was in a perfect position to explore the mind-body connection.

Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations reveals how metaphysical events such as remote viewing, telepathy, consciousness and life-after-death are verifiable manifestations of the manner in which the human brain interfaces with the universal consciousness that author Lynne McTaggart refers to as The Field.

To Visit Dr. John L Turner’s Website to Learn More: JohnLTurner

To Purchase Dr. Turner’s book and Read the Rest of the Story: Medicine, Miracles, and Manifestations



Chapter 1: Divine Intervention - God Giveth, God Taketh Away

Two cases are presented which cause the author to ponder the existence of God and the energy field. After nearly losing a patient during surgery, his silent prayer to God appears to have been answered when the patient miraculously survives. However, just when Dr. Turner feels he has found peace and understanding, a young patient inexplicably dies, challenging Dr. Turner's newfound faith in the existence of a traditional God. He continues his search for the reason such seeming inexplicable events occur.

Chapter 2: Welcome to Paradise

The author's first neurosurgical case in Hawaii is hampered by the lack of a CT scanner and the availability of only a few crude instruments. As a result, he experiences "dream contact" by a patient who is not only comatose, but legally brain dead. He learns about the Hawaiian belief in the afterlife from the patient's father, who came to Hawaii after the patient's eventual death to deliver the message that the never-ending spirit lives on after physical death. This event causes Dr. Turner to launch a study of near-death-experiences (NDE) and out-of-body projection (OBE) to further investigate the enigmatic question of the continuance of the spirit beyond the body's physical death. He senses that there may be an ongoing source of energy that allows such contact.

Dr. Turner is participates in a patient's care and has the opportunity to witness a verified malignant brain tumor disappear after treatment which included a blend of Western medicine with Eastern treatment in the form of elimination of karmic retribution. An eye-opener for Dr. Turner, he is motivated to explore the nature of the mind-body connection and adjuncts or alternatives to standard Western medical treatment.

Chapter 3: The Mysterious Case of Mrs. Dahm Luk

As Dr. Turner's spiritual path unfolds, he sees his first case of non-traditional methods used to treat a malignant tumor. It is a demonstration of how karmic retribution may play a role in illness and how resolution of a karmic debt may allow healing to occur. It suggests that the workings of the spiritual world are available for anyone to explore and utilize. This patient's experience spurs Dr. Turner to continue his study of the soul, sprit and dis-ease.

Chapter 4: Soul Travel

The author's previous interest in astral projection is stimulated by a seemingly chance meeting with a neighbor. He devotes one year to the study of Eckankar, the ancient science of soul travel. He is able to incorporate lucid dreaming, various electronic devices and the pioneering footsteps of others to learn how to contact the unseen dimensions of universal energy. When he is unsuccessful with structured attempts to escape from the body, he seeks other methods to explore the astral plane. In the next chapter, the author finds a path to enlightenment that seems made for him.

Chapter 5: The Tree of Life

During a conversation with a friend and colleague, Dr. Turner learns of The Tree of Life and a suggested method to take control of life's course. He is advised to give up trying to force the out-of-body experience and seek enlightenment instead. He is taught that enlightenment is a state that will allow such events to occur naturally and without effort. As if pieces of the puzzle were sliding into place, he encounters an Eastern religion that teaches how to burn off accumulated negative karma. More important, this religion claims to have the written instructions to enlightenment on a sacred scroll. All that's required is to follow them implicitly. In the next chapter, Dr. Turner describes his amazing experience when doing so.

Chapter 6: The Power of Chanting

One full year is devoted to what has been called an evangelic sect of Buddhism, the practice of devotion to the Lotus Sutra and the chanting of "Nam Myoho Renge Kyo," as taught by the thirteenth-century Buddhist priest, Nichiren. Dr. Turner concludes that the associated paraphernalia and dogma are not needed to achieve a state of mental clarity. It is a matter of one's mind connecting with the "universal field." He is poised on the edge of astral travel without realizing it. This intense study of Buddhism was required to prepare him for his firsthand experience of the field of universal energy.

Chapter 7: The Temple in Man

Dr. Turner appears to a patient in a dream and delivers to her a medical diagnosis that eventually saves her life. The patient had a strong connection with ancient Egypt and the author suspects that his ka (intellectual and physical spirit) may have effected the communication on the astral plane. This is his first hint that a plan exists for us all, a chart through life that is followed, just as an actor follows a script.

Chapter 8: Bullet in the Brain

The author speculates on how our life is planed, from birth to death. A singular case seems to flow according to a script. This case prepared him to meet someone claiming to have direct knowledge of such plans. He is called "The Man of Light" - Mokichi Okada.

Chapter 9: A Man of Light

Dr. Turner is introduced to Johrei (the Medical Art of Japan) and the Eastern philosophy of Mokichi Okada. He integrates the Eastern healing technique, Johrei, into his western neurosurgical practice. After this, he will be privy to medical miracles and many mystical events. The experience strengthens the support for his theory than a universal energy source is responsible for these miracles.

Chapter 10: Mr. Sugitan's Christmas

After returning from Japan, Dr. Turner begins to utilize alternative medical techniques including Johrei, use of spiritual light energy, for a case felt to be unsalvageable. A patient with a rare type of hemophilia and on a blood thinner for his heart, collapses from a large spontaneous brain hemorrhage and is felt to be beyond hope for recovery. Dr. Turner is asked to treat the patient and it is his chance to first blend Eastern with Western medicine with a spectacular result.

Chapter 11: Called To Say I Love You

Johrei is put to the test in the case of a young patient who had sustained a serious brain injury. Attending physicians felt that this patient had little chance for survival and suggested to his mother that the boy was a candidate for organ donation. However, this is Dr. Turner's third encounter with the patient and gives credence to the Japanese adage "Sandome no shojiki." Roughly translated, this means "the third time individuals meet is of enormous significance."

This remarkable case not only involves spiritual/electromagnetic radiation in the form of light emitted from the palm of the hand, but also light in the form of a vision that appears to the patient's father, then thousands of miles from the site of his son's surgery.

Was it the administration of Johrei that caused the observed light or was it Dr. Turner's ka delivering a message of hope to the father? Dr. Turner discusses his conclusion that this is yet another manifestation of our ability to interact with the Zero Point Field.

Chapter 12: The Angel in the Light

This is a profoundly moving episode involving an angelic apparition of light that appears to one of Dr. Turner's patients. It occurs on the morning she sustains a large intracranial hemorrhage. The light-connected event turns out to be a forewarning of her imminent death, and the patient correctly interprets the spirit as a sign that she is being called by a higher power. Because of this warning, she is able to make peace with her family and friends before her physical death.

Although Dr. Turner operates on the brain hemorrhage, his patient does not survive. Within the first few postoperative days, she is judged to be "brain dead" and her physical body becomes dependent on life support systems. Her husband cannot make the decision to discontinue supportive measures until he learns that his wife managed to "contact" Dr. Turner, perhaps on the astral plane, using him as an agent to deliver her message, "I am just fine! Please let me go now. I am at peace."

As Dr. Turner continues to seek connections to his theory, he allows the "plan" to direct him to the art of remote viewing, by which the human brain can learn to access the "collective unconscious" as described by psychologist Carl Jung and others. In doing so, Dr. Turner finally experiences a method to interact with the universal energy field.

Chapter 13: Remote Viewing

In Japan, Tuner first reads about the technique of remote viewing; six months later he begins a training program under the tutelage of Major Ed Dames and Ms. Joni Dourif. Now armed with the art of remote viewing as a resource, Dr. Turner will learn in the ensuing chapters that there is a plan written for every one of us, and our lives faithfully follow this plan stored securely in the universal energy field and with which we constantly interact.

Chapter 14: The Scripter

The past spiritual lessons combine to elevate Dr. Turner to a level of heightened spiritual awareness. He learns to deal with any situation, hardship or mistreatment because of his realization and acceptance that life unfolds according to a prewritten plan. He is prepared to establish a direct connection with the spiritual world of universal energy by means of remote viewing.

Chapter 15: Into the Light

Psychics agree that the "light at the end of the tunnel," represents the "other side," or the spiritual world which is not visible to us but co-exists with the earthly plane on a higher vibrational level. The untimely death of a close friend of Dr. Turner's leads to a remote viewing session in which he experiences a "telepathic contact" with his recently deceased friend, demonstrating that all of us can communicate, as do the psychics, with the spiritual world by the omniscient energy of the universe.

In the next chapter, Dr. Turner discusses consciousness, the seat of the soul and the search for the elusive "mind" within the brain. Evidence supports his theory that consciousness, memory and the soul reside within the universal energy field.

Chapter 16: Medical Remote Viewing - Medical Diagnosis

Dr. Turner presents a case which demonstrates how the esoteric technique of remote viewing can be used by anyone (even the patient) as a diagnostic aid. Dr. Turner presents an enigmatic case solved by remote viewing and allowing Dr. Turner to administer the proper surgical treatment. Major Ed Dames was the remote viewer for this session.

Chapter 17: Now and Zen

Dr. Turner puts all the pieces of the puzzle together to explain how life works and how. Dr. Turner summarizes the preceding chapters, and describes our human beliefs in a higher power and his "Zen analysis" of the way things appear to work in this world and in particular, our unique universe. Finally, he summarizes his experiences as they relate to the field of universal energy and medicine. His next book will be written for the layman and will go much deeper into cosmology and cosmogony.


Dr. Turner summarizes MMM.

Appendix: The Mind

For readers who wish to read more on the brain and the mind, Dr. Turner discusses anatomical and physiological aspects of the body-mind-brain connection, the astral body and consciousness.

Here is a very serious link that will take you to everything you wanted to know about brain anatomy and function


Add a Comment