HERITAGE HAMLETS OF THE SIKHS-KASHMIR - 7

ANANTNAG ,SHOPIAN ,PULWAMA

ANANTNAG:

Anantnag is the third most populous district (Census-2011) of Jammu and Kashmir.There are about 395 villages in this district.Sikhs reside in 14 villages.These villages are 

Singhpora,Nowgam,Sarngsoo,Premipora,Hutmarha,Bannambal,Pethnambal,Posh Kriri,Mattanc,Harian Bagh (Karibal),ChitthiSinghpora,Zaldora, Kulgad , Pahalgam and Qazigund.In Mattan Sahib historic Gurdwara Guru Nanak Dev ji commemorates visit of Guru Nanak Sahib. There are also Gurdwaras at Anantnag, Bijbehara and Awantipura associated with Guru Nanak Dev ji. 

Gurdwara Guru Nanak Asthan, Nagtal Anantnag.png

GURDWARA NANAK ASTHAN, NAGBAL, ANANTNAG:

 Gurdwara Nanak Asthan Anantnag is associated with the first Nanak. The great Guru visited Anantnag in 1517 C.E. He camped on the outskirts near the spring of Nagbal. Consequently, this Gurdwara attained a status of holy shrine. The Guru, was an apostle of peace, brotherhood, and amity. It is said that Gurdwara Nanak Dev nagbal (Anantnag) was present before the Sikh reign. During the Sikh rule a number of Jagirs were granted to this Gurdwara. The old testimonials of Sikh rule testifies its existence. Later on, its construction was done by Shiromani Khalsa Darbar Jammu Kashmir in 1945 C.E.

 

MATTAN. Mattan is a historic town of Anantnag district. Guru Nanak Dev ji visited this town. Here, the historic Gurdwara, Guru Nanaksar commemorates Guru ji's visit. Nathan is 6 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 85 having approximately 450 population. The village is situated below the hill.

 

Gurdwara Guru Nanak Sar, Mattan Sahib 2.jpg

GURDWARA GURU NANAK SAR, MATTAN SAHIB :

Mattan Sahib  is 57 kilometers away from Srinagar. It is believed that Guru ji stayed thirteen days at Mattan. A story is also familiar about the Juma Chupian in the nearby forests. Guru ji stayed near Mattan spring (Mach Bhawan). Mattan was famous for the site of ruins of Martand temple, described by an occidental peregrinator as occupying the grandest of sites in the world of temples. In the middle of the spring pond, a raised platform was seen on which Guru ji had a discussion with Kashmiri Pandit Brahm Das of Bej Behara, who was Proud of his Knowledge.

Guru Ji on seeing Pandit Braham Das coming with a huge stock of books, recited the following couplet.

"One may read thousands of books, with cart load of books to follow,

One may study innumerable epics or fill, One's cellars with volume of study,

One may read for generations and generations.

And spend every month in the year studying 

And one may read one's entire life, Right up to one's last breath,

Sayeth Nanak, there is one truth: His name only. All else is Vanity of the egoistic mind."

Pandit Braham Dass was shaken and fell at the feet of the Guru, Guru ji stayed a few days at the residence of Braham Das. A Muslim faqir Kamal also discussed religious aspects with the Guru ji. Braham Das and Kamal Faqir were so much impressed by the divine Knowledge of the Guru that both of them embraced Sikhism. By the order of the Guru, they along with Pandit Muknda constructed a Gurdwara in Mattan Sahib, which is commemorating Guru Nanak's visit.

 Later on S. Gurmukh Singh who was a member in the council of Afghan reign (Governor Kashmir Noor Din Khan Bambazi) constructed a splendorous Gurdwara in 1766 C.E. In 1821 C.E. Hari Singh Nalwa, constructed seven small Gurdwaras on the three sides of the twin springs( Photo by J. Duguid in 1870-73). In which seven Guru Granth Sahibs were installed. There were 84 rooms associated with these Gurdwaras. On the ruined platform in the spring pond Maharaja Hari Singh Dogra constructed

temple in 1944 C.E. During the reign of Maharaja Partap Singh Dogra these Gurdwaras were removed from 1905-1909 C.E. When Sikh historian Sewa Ram Singh' first visited Mattan Sahib in 1908 C.E. at this place, he saw

only one Gurdwara. Now-a-days only one Gurdwara is seen on the right side of the spring. Deodar and kail wood is utilized in its construction. On the right side, near Surya Mandir, Kesri Nishan Sahib is hoisted which is 35 feet high and 3 feet in its circumference. Its basement is about 8 feet in square. A Khanda Chakra is also seen on its top. One of the copies of Guru Granth Sahib is about sixteen century old, whose first two pages are written with golden ink. 

SINGHPORA: Singhpora village is in the plains having Sikh house holders 150 with approximately Population 500.Its distance from district headquarters is 10 km. 

NOWGAM: Village is hardly 9 km from district headquarters. Sikh houses are 98 having approximately Population 490.

SARANGSOO: Sarangsoo is situated on the left side of mighty lider stream. There are about 80 Sikh house holders having approximately Population 400.Its 9 km from district headquarters. 

PAHALGAM : Pahalgam is a world renowned tourist spot of kashmir. There are about 9 Sikh families with  a population approximately 48 , mostly hoteliers and Shopkeepers. Gurdwara Pahalgam's foundation was laid by Akali Kaur Singh Nihang in 1950.Distance from district headquarters is 46 kms. 

PREMIPORA: Village is 9.5 km from district headquarters. Sikh families are 15 with approximately Population about 62. 

HUTMARH: Village is situated on the left side of the lider  stream. Sikh house holders are 110 with a population of approximately 640.

BAN NAMBAL: Situated on the left side of stream Lider, having Sikh house holders 10 with Population 50.

PETH NAMBAL: This village too on the left side of Lider and is about 9 km from the district headquarters . Sikh families are 20 with a population approximately 110.

POSH KRIRI: Posh Kriri is a small, beautiful village in a low laying. A small tributary of Lider is passing through it. Sikh families are 5 having 20 population. Village is hardly 10 km from the district headquarters. 

HARIAN DA BAGH: Its also named Kharibal, situated 8 km from the district headquarters. Sikh families are 40 having Population approximately 210.

CHITTI SINGHPORA: Village is 10 km away from the district headquarters. Total Sikh families are about 237 with a population approximately 1399.Village came to limelight during the massacre of 35 Sikhs by unknown gunmen during the visit of Clinton in 2000.

ZALDORA: Village is 13 km from the district headquarters. Sikh house holders are 30 having a population approximately 150.

KULGADA: Hardly 6 km of district Anantnag. Only 12 families reside with a population of 60.

QAZIGUND: Qazigund is about 22 km from district headquarters. Sikh families are 15 with a population of 65.

 

SHOPIAN 

Shopian or Shupiyan / Shypyan in Kashmiri is a hilly district, having only two Sikh villages namely Panzera and Bongam. Some villages of this district are situated on the old Mughal road and most of its area is occupied by dense forests.

In Shopian district only two Sikh villages are situated viz: Panzera and Bongam. 

PANZERA: The village is situated near the hill tract, about 11 km from the district headquarters Shopian. Total Sikh families are 20 having a population approximately 130.

BONGAM: Bongam is in the town Shopian having Sikh houses 7 with Population 38.

 

PULWAMA

Pulwama district is located towards south of Srinagar.Sikhs reside mostly in Tral area. Tral derived from Kashmiri language Trealal  which means Three diamonds.Three diamonds are allocated with the back up story of purchasement of Tral area by Amir Kabir (Hamdani)in place of diamond pieces.It is hardly 11km from Awantipora. There are about 28 Sikh villages in this district.

 Tral is the hub of these villages. Gurdwara Boarding House and School is situated.After 1947 holocaust, Mahant Bachittar Singh of  Shiromani Dera Nangali Sahib constructed a boarding house in which Dastkari Ashram started for Sikh children. Giani courses, Music,Cutting and Tailoring classes started in this Ashram. This place came to limelight during the arrival of Guru Gobind Singh's Shastaras darshan  from England to Kashmir.Guru Nanak public School started in 2000 under the Presidentship of Dr.Rajinder Singh .Lateron Dr Mohan Singh Shant  remained Chairman of the committee.Principal Naranjan Singh became first Principal and served 11 years with dedication. Total land associated with the Boarding house is 32 canals .After 2000 AD, Baba Berra ji of Karsewa constructed a Splendour Gurdwara. Fifty percent students enrolled in this school are now from Muslim community.

 PANZRA. The village is about 15 km from district headquarters.Sikh families are 25 having a population of approximately 150.

SAIDPORA. Saidpora is in the plains ,hardly    km from district headquarters.Sikh families reside in this village area 70 with approximately population 350.

DHARAMKUND . Sikh village 37 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are about 60 having population of 300.

BASANTPURA.  The village is on a semi hilly tract, 43 km from the district headquarters. Sikhs total families are 30 with a population 190.

GADPORA. The semi-hill village is usually 36 km from the district headquarters.Total Sikh householders are 30 with a population of 152.

LARIBAL . This is a semi hill village about 28 km from the district headquarters .Sikh families are 20 with a population approximately 110.

MONGHAMA. The village is 28 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 45 with a total population approximately 270.

DIVER. The village Diver is a big village of Sikhs having about 100 families with a population strength approximately 450.Village is 27 km from the district headquarters.

PARIBAL.    The village is hardly  37 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 11 with a population of about 65.

KASIPORA. This village is  29 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are about 52 having a total population approximately 300.

CHITRUGAM. CHITRUGAM is one of the large village of the Sikhs and is 30 km from the district headquarters.Sikh householders are 998 with a population approximately 1840.

KANGALORA.   This village is 30 km from the district headquarters and is located on a hilly tract.Sikhs families are about 73 having approximately population 432.

GULSHAN PORA. Gulshanpora is a semi hilly village with about 74 families with a population approximately 315.Village is 31 km from the district headquarters.

VARVERGHU(Ovregund ). The village is situated on a hilltop,about 32 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 30 with family strength approximately 186.

GAMERAJ. This village is 28 km from the district headquarters.There are three Gurdwaras in this village.Total Sikh families are 98 with a population approximately 435.

NANER. Naner village is 23 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 70 having a total population approximately 325.

RAJPURA. Rajpura is a prosperous village of Sikhs located at a distance of 20 km from the district headquarters. Sikh house holders are 57 having a total population approximately 363.

NAGEENPORA( HAFFU). This village is 28 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 152 with a population approximately 580.

CHANDRIGAM. The village is hardly 22 km from the district headquarters. A mighty nallah touching its beauty. Sikh families are 95 having a population approximately 348.

BAYGUND. This village is adjacent to Chandrgam and is 21 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 86 with a total population approximately 290.

SAIMOH. This village is the largest Sikh  village in Tral area having three Gurdwaras. The village is  36 km from the district headquarters. Sikh house holders are 800 having a total population approximately 2800.

SHADIMARG. This village is toward a forest area, 12 km from the district headquarters and is located on the old Mughal road.Guru Hargobind Sahib reached this village during 1620 AD.Gurdwara Shadi marg commemorates Guru ji’s visit.

Gurdwara Chhevin Patshahi Shadimarg.jpg

GURDWARA CHHEVIN PATSHAHI, SHADI MARG:  Gurdwara Shadji Marg is associated with the Sixth Guru Hargobind Sahib, It is the first spot of Guru Hargobind Sahib's visit to the Kashmir Valley. A legend is familiar that in Shupian, a devotee Sikh namely Katu Shah along with people-folk went to Guru Hargobind for blessings. En route to the Guru, Katu Shah asked people to give him honey as he was hungry. The people folk said it was only meant for Guru ji. When people  reached that place where Guru Hargobind Sahib was resting and offered the honey. It was a great surprise for the people that the honey was boiling with worms and bacteria and an unavoidable odor. People  with the order of Guru ji, first served the honey to Katu Shah and then to Guru ji. At this place Guru Hargobind Sahib expounded the thesis that 'the Guru's treasure chest is the benevolence of the poor'.

Guru ji insisted Katu Shah to preach Sikh religion in the Valley. A 'Guru's well is still situated in the dense forest 3 Kilometer away from the Gurdwara. 

CHEDIBUGH. This small village is 32 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 20 having a population approximately 105.

KHWAL. A small village of Sikhs having householders strength 15 .Total population of this village is 75. Its distance from district headquarters is 32 km.

SHAKARGARH. A semi-hilly Sikh village 33 km from the district headquarters.Sikh families are 30 having a population approximately 152.

PALPORA. Palpora is an historic village associated with Santa Singh Rans of Sikh Commander during Sikh rule in Kashmir. It is one of the largest villages having Sikh families about 432 with a total population approximately 1628. From the district headquarters it’s distance is about 18 km.

Jasbir Singh Sarna

Native of Kashmir, Independent historian, poet, Journalist. A well known writer with 56 published books in Punjabi and English. Retired Agriculture Officer

More Articles by This Author

Add a Comment