Can Sikhs go hunting?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Can Sikhs go hunting?

Postby Spirtual Seeker » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:13 pm

Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and Sikhism and I was wondering are allowed to hunt animals such as White-tailed deer, Elk, Black Bear, etc...

Thank you,
David
Spirtual Seeker
New User

Re: Can Sikhs go hunting?

Postby icedragon » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:00 am

hi david,
no sikhs cannot go hunting.killing and eating of innocent animals in sikhism is strictly forbidden..
icedragon
Active Forum User

Postby Theodorus » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:44 am

Spiritual Seeker ji,

First of all: Sikhs CAN do anything....

The right question would be if it is sensible to go hunting for a sikh?

The answer is very simple: Sikhs believe in Reincarnation. So when killing an animal you might kill the body in which one of your ancesters is dwelling. Specially in the Western world hunting is only done for sports (thus fun, meaning easily avoidable). So it is up to you... do you want to have fun in regard of what you know now?.
Theodorus
Power User

Postby Poonjabi » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:04 am

I thought some of the Gurus (Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji, Guru Gobind Singh Ji, and Guru Har Rai Ji) went hunting. I have heard that Guru Har Rai Ji hunted injured animals only to nurse them back to full health in his sanctuary.
Poonjabi
New User

Postby Spirtual Seeker » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:48 am

Thank you all for your replys
Spirtual Seeker
New User

Postby gurmukh » Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:05 am

Spiritual Seeker ji,

Sikh must not hunt usually.They should hunt only those animal which might be dangersous to the lives of human. because human lives are the most important. For example if a tiger is killing the villagers or hunting their animals, we should try to capture it and leave it in the forest. If in a situation, it is not possible, there is no unfear to kill it. So far as guruji's concern, they hunt only those animals which troubled the poor human beings.To kill anyone for entertainment or false glory is not the path of the sikhism.it's all depent on the situation.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.
gurmukh
New User

Postby Harpreetsgill » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:13 pm

gurmukh wrote:Spiritual Seeker ji,

Sikh must not hunt usually.They should hunt only those animal which might be dangersous to the lives of human. because human lives are the most important. For example if a tiger is killing the villagers or hunting their animals, we should try to capture it and leave it in the forest. If in a situation, it is not possible, there is no unfear to kill it. So far as guruji's concern, they hunt only those animals which troubled the poor human beings.To kill anyone for entertainment or false glory is not the path of the sikhism.it's all depent on the situation.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh.

There are billions of humans, millions being born everyday.

There are a few thousand tigers in there natural habitat, with there numbers dwindling.

Take the bengali tiger, there are few hundred left in bangladesh. There are 200 million bangladeshis, with population rising rapidly everyday (there will be 500 million bangladesh in a few decades). To make room for all those extra people natural habitats are being destroyed, including the bengali tigers. but i guess poor human beings are more important.
Harpreetsgill
Active Forum User

Postby gurmukh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:41 am

I don’t mean that tigers or other animals should be deprived of their natural habitat for fulfilling the selfish aims of man. They are very important for the ecology. Man can not sustain on this universe without the help of these kind of animals. we should try to provide safety to them. We should try to be just to them. But I did not mean that only tigers can be kill for the lives of man. But there several other creatures which must have to be killed for the benefit of the man like mosquitoes.
Secondly, the question was only that can Sikhs hunt. Whatever I wrote was focused on it.
Thirdly, when I wrote that the human lives are more important, it was written on behalf of the gurubani. If we read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, we will find that human body is praised by the Guru Sahibans as we can reach our ultimate goal of meeting the god only in this human body. It is told that man is the best making of God. Man is more important than other 84 lakh junes. Further, if a child and a pet are sinking in the water, and we can escape only one from both of them. what will we prefer? The importance of all creatures is determined on how many elements they have. The man has five elements and some others have four, three, two or one elements. That is why we can not punish a person for killing a dog as the same way as we punish for killing a man.
Forthly, I give tigers as an example because their population was more than one lakh before four to three hundred years ago only in India. And they were causing a great trouble in that time as now the mosquitoes are.
And more important is not what is said but more important is what the spirit behind it is.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh
gurmukh
New User

Postby Harpreetsgill » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:17 am

gurmukh wrote:I don’t mean that tigers or other animals should be deprived of their natural habitat for fulfilling the selfish aims of man. They are very important for the ecology. Man can not sustain on this universe without the help of these kind of animals. we should try to provide safety to them. We should try to be just to them. But I did not mean that only tigers can be kill for the lives of man. But there several other creatures which must have to be killed for the benefit of the man like mosquitoes.
Secondly, the question was only that can Sikhs hunt. Whatever I wrote was focused on it.
Thirdly, when I wrote that the human lives are more important, it was written on behalf of the gurubani. If we read the Guru Granth Sahib Ji, we will find that human body is praised by the Guru Sahibans as we can reach our ultimate goal of meeting the god only in this human body. It is told that man is the best making of God. Man is more important than other 84 lakh junes. Further, if a child and a pet are sinking in the water, and we can escape only one from both of them. what will we prefer? The importance of all creatures is determined on how many elements they have. The man has five elements and some others have four, three, two or one elements. That is why we can not punish a person for killing a dog as the same way as we punish for killing a man.
Forthly, I give tigers as an example because their population was more than one lakh before four to three hundred years ago only in India. And they were causing a great trouble in that time as now the mosquitoes are.
And more important is not what is said but more important is what the spirit behind it is.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh

In bangladesh, because of high population growth and little land, people have to encroach on the few natural habitats of the tiger. When they do that, build their huts/houses inside of the tiger habitat (because there is no where else to go) the tigers attack, and the people hunt the tigers down.

In mumbai there is a beautiful nature reserve, and people have jumped across security fences and built shacks/huts inside the reserve, destroying its natural beauty. Now if a elephant that lives in the reserve attacks these people then what? poor humans more important.

And I am not talking 300-400 years ago, i am talking today, with wildlife extinctions happening in the third world,because population keeps growing and people want more land so they take from nature
Harpreetsgill
Active Forum User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:32 am

In the earlier times a warrior had to keep on doing war like exercise to remain active.Nowadays wars are of different type.The ecological balance is in a very critical stage.In present times we ought to protect the wild life.Enjoy the following song.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kBLExOa ... tube_gdata
Satnam Waheguru

Sewa is a bit extra that we do for the fellow beings and we may call it 'Practical Simran'.
KamaljitSingh
Power User

Next

Return to Sikhi Discussion