Sikhism Today! - will we survive??? (UNMODERATED)

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Re: Sikhism Today! - will we survive??? (UNMODERATED)

Postby Romesh Kumar » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:38 pm

sikh_13 wrote:Yes the fact is survival of sikhism in its true 'form and spirit'. Form is sikhi saroop ordered by my GURU - King of ALL. And the spirit is what has been taught by my Guru - pure - !!

sikh_13 Ji,
Very well said.
This has to be done by Sikhs. Non-sikhs or Hindus are not against that. It is Sikhs who are not following the teachings of Guru Sahiban.

sikh_13 wrote:What I have realized is that when ever there is a genuine discussion on Sikhi survival - some parasites drop in and try to take it away. Some people may mind it - but the fact is that Sikhism is facing biggest threat from hinduism today and we need to take it on like our ancestors took on the direct offenders then.....

I do not think if non-sikhs even think about survival or vanishing of Sikhism. Since Sikhism came after socalled Hinduism with distinct and different ideology then that distinction and difference need to be preserved and maintained. Sikhs are finding difficult to do that for one reason or another thereby feeling threatened on their own. In my humble opinion, socalled threat is not from Hinduism but from within.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby jhonmiller » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:37 pm

Thanks for such the healthy discussion on the topic of Sikhism Today! - will we survive???. It really help me out in getting the valueable insight.
jhonmiller
New User

Postby Yuktanand Singh » Tue Oct 08, 2019 12:47 pm

Let us ask this question instead: "Lions today - will we survive?"

Who is asking? Are we the lions?
Is a donkey covered with Lion's skin a Lion?
In other words, do we understand what Sikhi is?
If not then, can we understand the answer to above question?

Clearly, we need to examine ourselves.
Just the fact that we address Sikhi as "Sikhism"requires an essay by itself.
Did Guru Nanak start or favor any "ism"?

Are we the Sikh that Guru Nanak was searching for? People may get impatient. They may call it "navel gazing" while, in their opinion, 'Sikhism is in such grave danger'. Our sociopolitical situation appears rather urgent.

Others chime in that only the message of gurbani is important. Many try to impress upon us donkeys that the message of Sikhism is in fact no different than the message of another prevailing religion.

Sikhi is often regarded as a path of bhakti. But "bhagats" are dime a dozen in India these days. In the west, particularly during 70's and 80's you could see them singing and dancing at the airports and shopping malls.

Sikhi is also intricately integrated with the path of the Sants. Prevalence of "Sants" today is no different either.

A true Sikh always follows a unique inner path. As we read in Japji [SGGS:3.9], someone who obeys the Guru is not attached to any tradition or a path. This is so because the Guru's inner guidance is unique in each case. The outer garb is for the world. The inner path is unique at each moment.

In my opinion Sikhi is as ancient as mankind. It was never born nor will it ever die. But before Guru Nanak, it was hidden. Sikhi is simply: "A Sikh does whatever the Guru says". ਗੁਰਸਿਖੀ ਦਾ ਕਰਮੁ ਏਹੁ ਗੁਰ ਫੁਰਮਾਏ ਗੁਰਿਸਖ ਕਰਣਾ।(ਭਾਈ ਗੁਰਦਾਸ) This is the foundation of a deep spiritual relationship between the two.

Guru Nanak made sure that this path is revealed to public and it is accessible to the masses. Guru Nanak needed only one Sikh to start this process. Rest is history. At present we have it in the form of gurbani and in the form of holy congregation of Sant or Sants.

This holy association is also called 'sadh sangat' in gurbani which, is also commonplace today but true sadh sangat is rare.
Real Sikhs seek real sadh sangat. Presence of gurbani makes it unique. This is unlike any existing religion. According to gurbani, this path is eternal.

Guru Gobind Singh changed from one Sikh to Five Beloved. Wherever five gurmukhs (not just five individuals with a certain appearance or a certain daily routine) are present, Sikhi, nay, the Guru himself is there.

Sikhi is always living somewhere in this world. We need to find that place. Then we will survive.
We cannot survive as donkeys in a lion's garb. Guru Nanak would not want us to survive.

Yuktanand Singh
Saline, Mi USA
Yuktanand Singh
Power User

Postby MaxKin » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:33 am

There's something comforting knowing that we will somehow survive. We just have to work really hard towards that end.
MaxKin
New User

Previous

Return to Questions and Answers