Will Waheguru ever forgive me? Please help!!

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Will Waheguru ever forgive me? Please help!!

Postby Kaur.D » Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:39 am

Hi all, I’m a 17 year old girl who is feeling very guilty and regretful of my past sins. To explain, I have lied a lot while growing up and I don’t think God will ever forgive me. From the ages of 8-13, I talked behind my friends back with others and then I would go to my friend and tell them everything the other person said about them, without mentioning that I too said stuff about them. I constantly lied and manipulated my friends. I made others look bad while making myself look good, even though I was just as bad, or worse, than others. I was so young and I honestly didn’t even think I was doing anything wrong. I feel so guilty and wake up every morning feeling like the most disgusting person ever. I’m in high school now and I have apologized to all the friends I’ve hurt and backstabbed before and they all have kindly forgiven me and even talk to me now. I feel like I don’t deserve any mercy or forgiveness and I truly believe that I deserve all the bad things to happen to me.

I remember, when I was a 12 year old in grade 7, one of my friends, I’ll call her B, talked to me about another friend, I’ll call her N for now. B and I both talked behind Ns back and then later I went to N and I told her everything that B said about her, acting as if I said nothing. I even deleted some of my messages that I sent to B and showed N so it looked like B was the only one saying a lot of bad stuff about N. I then felt bad and tried to fix the mess by convincing B that I told N that both of us talked about her. I lied straight to her face. They both got in fights and I felt so bad. I don’t even know why I did it. I think it made me feel better as I was very insecure and I thought by making another friend look bad, I would look better and be more loved. I am disgusted by my own actions now and I can’t believe that I used to be such a liar and so manipulative at such a young age.

I’m 17 years old now and for the past three years I’ve learned a lot and I’ve never done anything like that and consider myself to be a good person but deep down I can never let go of the guilt of my childhood actions. I feel so much shame when I look at my parents because they always taught me to be a good person and they love me a lot. They have no idea how terrible I was in school and they think I’m the perfect daughter because I always listen to them and get good grades. They don’t know how much I hurt and backstabbed my poor friends. I feel like I deserve nothing in life and one of my dreams have been to help the world in some way and start a family and raise my future children to be good people, but now that I’ve become aware of the person I used to be, I don’t think I deserve to do any of that. I feel so evil and I am sure that Waheguru will never forgive me for my disgusting actions. I would just like to know what all of you think.
Kaur.D
New User

Re: Will Waheguru ever forgive me? Please help!!

Postby gurmail » Sat Mar 21, 2020 5:48 am

We all take a wrong turn, some are small deviations others are large. These happen all the time. Little mistakes and big mistakes continue to happen. We travel this road called life, each along our own trajectory in space and time. The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and don't repeat them. That, I think you'll agree would be stupid. Accept that waheguru has bestowed upon you the brain and intellect to learn and improve. That should give you optimism, belief in yourself that you have learnt and do your best in future. Learning from mistakes does not mean that you obsess about the past. You move on in optimism. That is first step.

Now find out what you are good at. Better than anyone else, you think. Singing, writing, working, gardening, anything. Use your god given talent to make people happy and in the process yourself happy.

Waheguru forgave you the minute you realised your mistake. In fact, waheguru had already given you the intellect to realise your mistakes and not to repeat them. Now praise and worship waheguru by using your talent, whatever that may be. Every song you sing, every book you write, every time you run, swim faster than anyone, every time you use your talent to the most, that is worship of waheguru, your creator. If you find time or inclination then try and understand Guru Granth Sahib to strengthen you resolve to worship.

Now go and fly higher than anyone else and have fun doing it.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Re: Will Waheguru ever forgive me? Please help!!

Postby Kaur.D » Sat Mar 21, 2020 2:45 pm

gurmail wrote:We all take a wrong turn, some are small deviations others are large. These happen all the time. Little mistakes and big mistakes continue to happen. We travel this road called life, each along our own trajectory in space and time. The important thing is to learn from our mistakes and don't repeat them. That, I think you'll agree would be stupid. Accept that waheguru has bestowed upon you the brain and intellect to learn and improve. That should give you optimism, belief in yourself that you have learnt and do your best in future. Learning from mistakes does not mean that you obsess about the past. You move on in optimism. That is first step.

Now find out what you are good at. Better than anyone else, you think. Singing, writing, working, gardening, anything. Use your god given talent to make people happy and in the process yourself happy.

Waheguru forgave you the minute you realised your mistake. In fact, waheguru had already given you the intellect to realise your mistakes and not to repeat them. Now praise and worship waheguru by using your talent, whatever that may be. Every song you sing, every book you write, every time you run, swim faster than anyone, every time you use your talent to the most, that is worship of waheguru, your creator. If you find time or inclination then try and understand Guru Granth Sahib to strengthen you resolve to worship.

Now go and fly higher than anyone else and have fun doing it.

That’s very helpful advice. Thank you so much.
Kaur.D
New User

Return to Questions and Answers