Interracial couple

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Interracial couple

Postby dutchpunjabigirl » Sat Sep 07, 2019 9:03 am

Dear readers,

I am a Punjabi girl born and raised in Holland. I have an issue which is negatively affecting my family-life. As the subject already hints, I have a boyfriend who is Dutch. He respects our culture and religion and he is even adapting to it (learning to speak Punjabi, making cha, learning about our norms and values, etc). The problem is, my parents are 100% against us being together. They don't care how much he wants to adapt, they just say he is white and not Punjabi/Indian - which is reason enough not to go through with it. I have been together with this guy for more than two years so it is not just something "silly"; we actually want to get married and have/raise kids together. I love my family a lot, I have younger sisters and they are hating me for this too. My parents and sisters know about my situation. I still live at home and everyday they ignore me or say hurtful things to me. I understand why they are against my situation, but I cannot listen to them because they only care about the community and what other people will think. They also threatened to kick me out of the house but now they said I can get married after I get my degree but then I will be dead to them and they will never contact me. I do not know how to handle this situation. For them it is easy to cut off ties like that because I do not listen to them, but for me they will always be my family and I want them in my life. What do you guys think? I could really use some insights. I am happy to provide you with more information if needed.
dutchpunjabigirl
New User

Return to Questions and Answers