Question about Amrit Vela

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Question about Amrit Vela

Postby simar2310 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:47 pm

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji.

I had a question regarding Amrit Vela. As a college student, I find myself awake till 2-3 AM on most days. My question is, is it important to go to sleep on time and wake up in Amrit Vela or is it acceptable to stay awake till Amrit Vela, do Naam Simran and then go to sleep afterwards?

Any input and advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
simar2310
New User

Re: Question about Amrit Vela

Postby JeejaJi » Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:14 pm

Amrit vela is not a specific time. It is the reference to read Gurbani before you start your normal routine. For some it is 5 am, night owls/folks working night shift might be 4 pm and party goers might be 11 am.

Anytime is good to read Gurbani than no time.

simar2310 wrote:Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh ji.

I had a question regarding Amrit Vela. As a college student, I find myself awake till 2-3 AM on most days. My question is, is it important to go to sleep on time and wake up in Amrit Vela or is it acceptable to stay awake till Amrit Vela, do Naam Simran and then go to sleep afterwards?

Any input and advice would be appreciated. Thank you very much.
JeejaJi
New User

Postby simar2310 » Wed Aug 21, 2019 9:51 am

JeejaJi wrote:Amrit vela is not a specific time. It is the reference to read Gurbani before you start your normal routine. For some it is 5 am, night owls/folks working night shift might be 4 pm and party goers might be 11 am.

I appreciate your response, but respectfully, that is not the case. Amrit Vela specifically refers to the early hours of the morning and meditation done during this time helps the meditator connect more deeply to God because of the stillness and blissfulness in that period. That is why it is called Amrit Vela, the Ambrosial Period.

Any time is good to read Gurbani or do Naam Simran as you said, and in fact we are encouraged to do Naam Simran 24/7, but Naam Simran done during the early hours of the morning allows for a truly ambrosial connection with the Divine. People working night shifts and party goers (not too sure why this group has been included in such a discussion) must endeavor to incorporate some Naam Simran in Amrit Vela, which is in the early hours of the morning.

I do not mean to hurt your sentiments and practices in any way, so please forgive me if I have, but Amrit Vela actually does refer to a specific time.

Thank you.
simar2310
New User

Postby Bundha » Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:41 pm

Simar Ji I agree with your thoughts.

When ever I have been up after midnight then rather then go to sleep and then get up a bit groggy, I have simply took ishnaan and done the little nitname that I do before going to bed. I do not see anything wrong with this. Amrit wella has arrived so go do your nitname :-)
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby JeejaJi » Wed Aug 21, 2019 2:39 pm

No worries, it is called discussion and we may have different views.

Can you share where in Guru Granth it says that Amrit Vela equals early morning hours?
As far as connecting deeply, one can use noise cancellation headphones.

So, you are saying that some one who comes home at 2 am after 12 hours of hard labor will have deeper connection with god by reading bani when he/she is bone tired instead of taking a good sleep and waking up in the afternoon.
Good luck with pushing that kind of ignorance filled rules on working folks.

Lastly, what’s wrong with party goers? Are you assuming that a person cannot go to someone’s baby shower or graduation party or wedding party and still be a Sikh? Sounds pretty ignorant on your part.

simar2310 wrote:
JeejaJi wrote:Amrit vela is not a specific time. It is the reference to read Gurbani before you start your normal routine. For some it is 5 am, night owls/folks working night shift might be 4 pm and party goers might be 11 am.

I appreciate your response, but respectfully, that is not the case. Amrit Vela specifically refers to the early hours of the morning and meditation done during this time helps the meditator connect more deeply to God because of the stillness and blissfulness in that period. That is why it is called Amrit Vela, the Ambrosial Period.

Any time is good to read Gurbani or do Naam Simran as you said, and in fact we are encouraged to do Naam Simran 24/7, but Naam Simran done during the early hours of the morning allows for a truly ambrosial connection with the Divine. People working night shifts and party goers (not too sure why this group has been included in such a discussion) must endeavor to incorporate some Naam Simran in Amrit Vela, which is in the early hours of the morning.

I do not mean to hurt your sentiments and practices in any way, so please forgive me if I have, but Amrit Vela actually does refer to a specific time.

Thank you.
JeejaJi
New User

Postby simar2310 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:11 pm

Bundha wrote:Simar Ji I agree with your thoughts.

When ever I have been up after midnight then rather then go to sleep and then get up a bit groggy, I have simply took ishnaan and done the little nitname that I do before going to bed. I do not see anything wrong with this. Amrit wella has arrived so go do your nitname :-)

Thank you so much for your response Bundha ji. I felt the exact same way and was just wondering if anyone else did too! I just wasn’t too sure if the importance is to go to sleep early and then wake up, but as you said, it’s better to do it before sleeping than to wake up groggy, which makes it a struggle to get it done. Thank you once again! :)
simar2310
New User

Postby simar2310 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:41 am

JeejaJi wrote:No worries, it is called discussion and we may have different views.

Can you share where in Guru Granth it says that Amrit Vela equals early morning hours?
As far as connecting deeply, one can use noise cancellation headphones.

So, you are saying that some one who comes home at 2 am after 12 hours of hard labor will have deeper connection with god by reading bani when he/she is bone tired instead of taking a good sleep and waking up in the afternoon.
Good luck with pushing that kind of ignorance filled rules on working folks.

Lastly, what’s wrong with party goers? Are you assuming that a person cannot go to someone’s baby shower or graduation party or wedding party and still be a Sikh? Sounds pretty ignorant on your part.

simar2310 wrote:

Thank you.

I have no desire or intention to argue with you and it seems we are moving away from the initial question with every message. I just want to clarify a few things.

Gurbani does not give a specific time for Amrit Vela. You are correct about that, but please read Guru Ram Daas Ji’s Shabad on Ang 305, “Gur Satgur Ka Jo Sikh Akhaaye Su Bhalakae Outh Har Naam Dhiavai”, in which Guruji highlights the importance of waking up in the early hours of the morning to meditate on God’s name. This Shabad, as is the case with all of Gurbani, does not discriminate against profession or working hours in any way. Whether we work early morning shifts, late night shifts, or whatever, it is our duty as Sikhs to put aside at least a few minutes of early morning meditation. We can always make excuses that we’re so tired and we’ve been working all day, but that is not the path of Sikhi.

Another thing is, Gurbani doesn’t make mention of noise cancellation headphones anywhere (kindly share with us if you believe it does) to make a deeper connection with God, so I’m sorry but that is not something any of us should consider. The goal of Sikhi is to distance ourselves from Maya and not be dependent on anything to connect with God.

There is nothing wrong with party goers. I myself have been to several parties of all kinds, but this discussion is about a routine, day-to-day activity. Unless you are a party goer by profession, there is no relevance of mentioning that group for a discussion of this nature.

Again, I am not trying to hurt your sentiments and practices in any way. You are right and I am wrong. If your Amrit Vela is at another time than that what is considered conventional in Sikhi, that’s completely fine. Ultimately, Amrit Vela does translate to Ambrosial Period and if you’re taking in this Amrit at a different hour, that’s completely fine; in fact it’s much better than people like myself who are currently not taking it in at all. I just want you to know that although Gurbani does not provide a specific time, it does hint to Amrit Vela being in the early hours of the morning as is in the case of the Shabad I referred to you earlier.

For my purposes and my journey, I prefer to have my Amrit Vela in the early hours of the morning because the few times I have been able to do Naam Simran in this period, it has been far more fruitful and connecting than at other periods later on in the day. But then again, that’s just me personally. We’re all different and have our own practices and timings for spirituality, and that’s completely fine.

Thank you for your time and for your advice and I am sorry if I have offended you in any way.
simar2310
New User

Postby gurmail » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:00 pm

In my limited understanding, Guru Granth Sahib is not prescriptive. There is no pill to be taken three times a day with meal. There is no list of rules laid out neatly to follow. It is not a text book on physics or cosmology. It is a spiritual writing and best treated as such. Amrit vela is a specific time period and specifically refers to early morning. Silence during Amrit vela seems to be very special.it is more absolute. You can hear your heartbeat type of silence. This is the reason of its importance. Time of day more conducive to the search of oneness with creator or creation. To put another way, if you don't find the connection during this period of near absolute silence then Likelihood to find it another time is rather slim.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Postby singh sahib » Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:16 am

Discussion going on the topic is good. Over the time, there have been some drastic changes in our life style. Actually, Night hours were for sleeping and day time for working/study etc. We were not made as a machine for 24/7. This is up to us how we make our life hell. Largely, night working is culture in western countries. Now being adopted by others too. In reallty, we are advised by Guruji to remain in remembrance of God 24/7. This is the only solution. But incorporating 24/7 habit is not easy rather needs complete overhaul of our internal system. So,to start with, the ambrosial hours help a lot. These come twice in 24 hrs. Once when sun is about to rise and another at the time of sunset. But once you become habitual and is ready for 24/7 simran, the importance of both these times gets diminshed. So, in the begining Amrit wale is of much importance but gradually you may decide your own time. For any further clarification, you may contact through email under profile section.
singh sahib
New User

Postby simar2310 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 11:35 pm

gurmail wrote:In my limited understanding, Guru Granth Sahib is not prescriptive. There is no pill to be taken three times a day with meal. There is no list of rules laid out neatly to follow. It is not a text book on physics or cosmology. It is a spiritual writing and best treated as such. Amrit vela is a specific time period and specifically refers to early morning. Silence during Amrit vela seems to be very special.it is more absolute. You can hear your heartbeat type of silence. This is the reason of its importance. Time of day more conducive to the search of oneness with creator or creation. To put another way, if you don't find the connection during this period of near absolute silence then Likelihood to find it another time is rather slim.

Thank you so much for your response Gurmail ji. You have highlighted the importance of Amrit Vela and its timing very well. Gurbani is certainly not prescriptive and we must always keep that in mind, but as you said, there is a reason why Amrit Vela is so special. The absoluteness of the blissful silence during the early morning is unique and exceedingly fruitful for our search of oneness with Maharaj.

Again, thank you so much for your response.

singh sahib wrote:Discussion going on the topic is good. Over the time, there have been some drastic changes in our life style. Actually, Night hours were for sleeping and day time for working/study etc. We were not made as a machine for 24/7. This is up to us how we make our life hell. Largely, night working is culture in western countries. Now being adopted by others too. In reallty, we are advised by Guruji to remain in remembrance of God 24/7. This is the only solution. But incorporating 24/7 habit is not easy rather needs complete overhaul of our internal system. So,to start with, the ambrosial hours help a lot. These come twice in 24 hrs. Once when sun is about to rise and another at the time of sunset. But once you become habitual and is ready for 24/7 simran, the importance of both these times gets diminshed. So, in the begining Amrit wale is of much importance but gradually you may decide your own time. For any further clarification, you may contact through email under profile section.

Thank you so much for your response as well Singh Sahib ji. In Kalyug, we are constantly moving away from our roots, which is causing a lot of problems for all of us. The only solution to these, as you said, is to remain in remembrance of Akaal Purakh every second. The Ambrosial hours are crucial to attain a state like this, and we all need to spend some time to meditate during this time. Your insight of the initial importance of the early morning hours is very meaningful, and I believe that with Guruji’s kirpa, with time, we will be able to attain a state that allows for us to intake Amrit round the clock.

Thank you so much again for your response, and I will be sure to email you if I have any other questions or need clarification on anything.
simar2310
New User

Return to Questions and Answers