Do we listen to the Bhagat as much as the Guru?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Do we listen to the Bhagat as much as the Guru?

Postby M4A6 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:41 am

Sorry for my simple wording but I’m still a novice.

We all know not to question the word of Guru, however are the words of Bhagat’s such as Bhagat Kabir as important to us as words of Guru? Should they all be taken the same, as the word of Guru? Or from a realising that this is a followers views and not the word of Guru?
M4A6
New User

Re: Do we listen to the Bhagat as much as the Guru?

Postby jaisinghkhalsa » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:00 am

when we bow down to Sri Guru Granth Sahib then we bow to every person whose bani is in it.We dont think that we have bowed to bani written by Guru Nanak and not to bani written by Bhagats.So all the Bani has the same value.Every word of Guru Granth Sahib is the word of the Guru.
jaisinghkhalsa
New User

Postby gurmail » Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:09 am

My understanding is that writings of bhagats saints are included in the Guru Granth Sahib is because Guru Arian Devji agreed with what is said. Therefore it is Guru's bani.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Sat Aug 17, 2019 5:29 am

M4A6 wrote:Sorry for my simple wording but I’m still a novice.

We all know not to question the word of Guru, however are the words of Bhagat’s such as Bhagat Kabir as important to us as words of Guru? Should they all be taken the same, as the word of Guru? Or from a realising that this is a followers views and not the word of Guru?

jaisinghkhalsa wrote:when we bow down to Sri Guru Granth Sahib then we bow to every person whose bani is in it.We dont think that we have bowed to bani written by Guru Nanak and not to bani written by Bhagats.So all the Bani has the same value.Every word of Guru Granth Sahib is the word of the Guru.

jaisinghkhalsa has closed the debate with convincing answer to all the questions.
In my personal opinion the initial post amounts to nick-picking which leads to no where.
SGGSJ is kind of embodiment of Guru Sahiban. As such anything and everything contained therein is GurBaani. Is it possible to tell someone that I accept/respect his mouth but not ears ?
Thanks.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby Yuktanand Singh » Sat Aug 17, 2019 12:08 pm

Questions arise until a novice realizes that gurbani needs to be read in the light of a bhagat's own religion and daily routine, but the message in each verse of Guru Granth Sahib is equally important for all.

For example: "Fareed, O faithless dog, this is not a good way of life. You never come to the mosque for your five daily prayers." [SGGS: 1381.12]

The intent here is not that we need to pray only five times daily, nor that we all must go to the mosque and do namaaz. The essence of this verse is importance of joining the congregation regularly.

A Muslim is welcome to read this as an affirmation to visit the mosque regularly. Similarly, Hindu readers may find certain verses more inspiring to them.

But when gurbani is understood in its entirety then we realize that it does not praise or condemn any religious routine but wants us to practice it purposefully and to not lose the essence.
Yuktanand Singh
Power User

Return to Sikhi Discussion