Can I raise Christian children?

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Can I raise Christian children?

Postby jeetimus » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:56 am

Hi,
I am romantically involved with a man who is Christian. Without realising, we are now in a serious relationship where we want to spend the rest of our lives together. However, this also involves having children once we are married. But it is impractical of us to want to raise children with two faiths, so we are considering raising our children to be solely Christian while I practise Sikhi alone.

However, I don't know how practical this option is. Firstly, is this allowed in Sikhi? Secondly, my family would be very unhappy with me. Also, how do I go about this? I don't mind so much if my children are Christian, so long as they grow up to be good, moral human beings but since I'd be their mother, how involved would I be in their upbringing?

Please can someone provide me with some advice. We have gone over the implications of having an interfaith marriage but we now realise that this is so impractical. This may be our only option.

I ask for people to be kind in their answers as this is a very difficult, controversial and sensitive conversation to have.

Thank you.
jeetimus
New User

Re: Can I raise Christian children?

Postby JeejaJi » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:15 pm

I can imagine how difficult this is for you to go through and share. I wouldn’t worry too much about it and what’s allowed or not. You already said what’s most important “raising kids to be good human beings”. You will be the mother and you will play the most important role in what values they get. All religions teach the same thing. It’s just that overtime blind faith and misinterpretation overtook the common sense.

I would take the key lessons from Guru granth and make sure that you kids learn them. Do you best, do the best karam and you will get the results that he/she decides for you (hukam).
Good luck!

jeetimus wrote:Hi,
I am romantically involved with a man who is Christian. Without realising, we are now in a serious relationship where we want to spend the rest of our lives together. However, this also involves having children once we are married. But it is impractical of us to want to raise children with two faiths, so we are considering raising our children to be solely Christian while I practise Sikhi alone.

However, I don't know how practical this option is. Firstly, is this allowed in Sikhi? Secondly, my family would be very unhappy with me. Also, how do I go about this? I don't mind so much if my children are Christian, so long as they grow up to be good, moral human beings but since I'd be their mother, how involved would I be in their upbringing?

Please can someone provide me with some advice. We have gone over the implications of having an interfaith marriage but we now realise that this is so impractical. This may be our only option.

I ask for people to be kind in their answers as this is a very difficult, controversial and sensitive conversation to have.

Thank you.
JeejaJi
New User

Re: Can I raise Christian children?

Postby 1jyot2moorti » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:15 am

I find Sikhism and Christianity very close to each other. I have read the Bible and a Harvard scholar's profound research on the essence of Christianity.

First of all, both started as a way of life and against the dogma and blind rituals prevalent then (and continue, to this day). Christ's true ways were hijacked by a man called Irenaeus who "templatised" it, stripping it of all spirituality as was Sikhism, by latter day clergy.

Christ hung by the cross for all humanity and the Sikh gurus lay on hot plates, offered their heads, died to the sword.

If you were to ask me, raise the kids with the Holy Granth and the Cross next to each other on the altar.
Anything less, would be an insult to their upbringing, when they could have the best of both worlds.
1jyot2moorti
New User

Return to Questions and Answers