Health and meat

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.

Health and meat

Postby Guest » Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:15 pm

Hi everyone! I didn't know this website existed, and let me say to start off- thank you to whoever made this website happen. I hope to learn a lot through it and connect more with Sikhi as I am struggling currently and have lost some faith.

Backstory: I grew up eating meat, my mom was always a vegetarian her entire life and was married into a family who was not. My grandma became amritshuk a few years later. I gave up meat about 3 years ago when my father was involved in a terrible situation. Sitting at home crying for a couple of days I promised God I would give up meat if he would return my father. And I did give up meat when my father came back. Meat has never been a great part of my life growing up, I didn't mind eating veggies either, I loved dahl roti. Only ate meat here and there.

Flash forward now: I have been facing health troubles since January 3 2019 and still am. Having trouble eating without feeling like I am going to vomit and abdominal pain. Fatigue all the time. And I am pushing through it, it's been hard. Recently got diagnosed with celiac disease (can't eat gluten so no roti). I did switch over to gluten free food and food some gluten free roti (not the same taste but better than nothing). Also am sensitive to milk, can't digest much of it either. Really limited on my food intake. It's hard now because growing up I didn't realize how much wheat I ate in my life. It's not even the meat I miss. I never missed meat.

Problem: I am considering eating meat now for my health as I don't have much to eat. It's been so hard mentally to handle being given this problem now in life. When I have already tasted things with gluten in it and now have to give it up. Some things do not have any substitute. I can never have aloo parante for example or choorri. I am angry to be honest, with God that I gave up meat and he gave me this illness later in life where now my diet is completely very little. Fruits and vegetables or rice and subji are not fulfilling to be honest. I am debating eating meat but am concerned about how I told God I would give up meat.
Some family members have told me to start eating meat as well, but I remember what I said. They tell me I didn't swear on God or go to the gurdwara or stand before God. I just said it in my mind so it wouldn't be that much of a deal plus they said now I have health problems and need the strength.

I just don't know what to do. Dilemma here. Need some guidance please. I spoke with God to get some answers but haven't seen any yet. I pray to get some sort of relief from what I'm feeling, I don't want to be angry but am having trouble understanding. Please, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Please eat roti happily -coming from someone that can't eat it anymore.

Re: Health and meat

Postby JeejaJi » Thu Aug 08, 2019 7:04 pm

You should step back and rethink this. You telling that you will give up meat if your father lived has no bearing. It is an empty promise, you are trying to please god with materialistic things and they have no effect. Instead, you should do what it takes to be truthful and break wall of ego between you and him/her. By saying that you will give up meat is still ego because you claim that have power to influence god. If he/she is almighty, then he/she has no influence.

Instead, clear your conscience, do what is needed for your mental and physical health and try to follow the path of letting go of ego, do good deeds (karam) so that you get the result of your actions (hukam)
Good luck!

reena0001 wrote:Hi everyone! I didn't know this website existed, and let me say to start off- thank you to whoever made this website happen. I hope to learn a lot through it and connect more with Sikhi as I am struggling currently and have lost some faith.

Backstory: I grew up eating meat, my mom was always a vegetarian her entire life and was married into a family who was not. My grandma became amritshuk a few years later. I gave up meat about 3 years ago when my father was involved in a terrible situation. Sitting at home crying for a couple of days I promised God I would give up meat if he would return my father. And I did give up meat when my father came back. Meat has never been a great part of my life growing up, I didn't mind eating veggies either, I loved dahl roti. Only ate meat here and there.

Flash forward now: I have been facing health troubles since January 3 2019 and still am. Having trouble eating without feeling like I am going to vomit and abdominal pain. Fatigue all the time. And I am pushing through it, it's been hard. Recently got diagnosed with celiac disease (can't eat gluten so no roti). I did switch over to gluten free food and food some gluten free roti (not the same taste but better than nothing). Also am sensitive to milk, can't digest much of it either. Really limited on my food intake. It's hard now because growing up I didn't realize how much wheat I ate in my life. It's not even the meat I miss. I never missed meat.

Problem: I am considering eating meat now for my health as I don't have much to eat. It's been so hard mentally to handle being given this problem now in life. When I have already tasted things with gluten in it and now have to give it up. Some things do not have any substitute. I can never have aloo parante for example or choorri. I am angry to be honest, with God that I gave up meat and he gave me this illness later in life where now my diet is completely very little. Fruits and vegetables or rice and subji are not fulfilling to be honest. I am debating eating meat but am concerned about how I told God I would give up meat.
Some family members have told me to start eating meat as well, but I remember what I said. They tell me I didn't swear on God or go to the gurdwara or stand before God. I just said it in my mind so it wouldn't be that much of a deal plus they said now I have health problems and need the strength.

I just don't know what to do. Dilemma here. Need some guidance please. I spoke with God to get some answers but haven't seen any yet. I pray to get some sort of relief from what I'm feeling, I don't want to be angry but am having trouble understanding. Please, any thoughts would be appreciated.

JeejaJi
New User

Postby gurmail » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:31 am

Try corn roti. It is really nice. Bajri roti is also good, stronger than wheat. Get a blood test for vitamins. You are likely to need vitamin supplements, especially iron. Soya milk is a very good alternative. I know number of people on these alternatives. Protein powder like whey protein or vegetable proteins are also good alternatives.

Now as for your word with god. You see, one does not make bargains with god. God is not like going to a shop. I believe that you made that bargain with yourself. You have to decide whether to break it or not. It is a test you set yourself and now is the time For a pay back to yourself. That is all. Only you can decide where the balance lies. Eating meat now and feeling bad about it maybe forever or living with bad health.

Personally, I would try other alternatives like the ones suggested above. Make sure blood test results are (vitamins) ok.
Then if nothing works, well eat meat. That way you can satisfy yourself that you tried everything.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm

You should step back and rethink this. You telling that you will give up meat if your father lived has no bearing. It is an empty promise, you are trying to please god with materialistic things and they have no effect. Instead, you should do what it takes to be truthful and break wall of ego between you and him/her. By saying that you will give up meat is still ego because you claim that have power to influence god. If he/she is almighty, then he/she has no influence.

Instead, clear your conscience, do what is needed for your mental and physical health and try to follow the path of letting go of ego, do good deeds (karam) so that you get the result of your actions (hukam)
Good luck!

I am confused about it being materialistic. I have grown up hearing from everyone that giving up meat, keeping hair etc. (closer to amritsuk) is the way to God. That is why I say I would give up meat... in order to show God I am ready to take a step toward devotion. I really will reflect on how you brought up my power to influence God. It is God's decision on how life will play not. I had not thought of this, thank you.

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:11 pm

JeejaJi wrote:You should step back and rethink this. You telling that you will give up meat if your father lived has no bearing. It is an empty promise, you are trying to please god with materialistic things and they have no effect. Instead, you should do what it takes to be truthful and break wall of ego between you and him/her. By saying that you will give up meat is still ego because you claim that have power to influence god. If he/she is almighty, then he/she has no influence.

Good luck!

reena0001 wrote:Hi everyone! I didn't know this website existed, and let me say to start off- thank you to whoever made this website happen. I hope to learn a lot through it and connect more with Sikhi as I am struggling currently and have lost some faith.

Thank you for pointing out the influence part to me, I had not thought of that. I will reflect further upon that. You see, to me I wanted to give up meat to show God I am going to take a step toward him toward devotion. I grew up with the idea of being Sikh is about being vegetarian, keeping hair, and staying away from the 5 sins. I thought giving up meat was to show God I am going onto the path he/she has set.

Postby 1jyot2moorti » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:00 am

Absolutely clear by a Sikh scholar, without parallel in modern times:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6OuUuy8yTM

Here is my two bit:
- To be a true vegetarian, you will have to stop drinking water and eat vegetables/fruits. Water has millions of live organisms and as per proven, modern research, plants have life!
- Meat is necessary for Vit-B12 and l-methionine. Vegetarian sources give very little.
- Carnivores, if evil, would not have existed in God's design. They are part of the cycle of life.
- Without hypocrisy, what you can actually and only practice is this: Love for nature and God's creatures. As such, do not kill deliberately. You could choose not to flatten a mosquito or a cockroach, refrain from using house insecticides or feed off a bigger kill (eg.: 1 Tuna = 6 Mackerels = 20 Sardines)
- Eat meat as "ahar", not "ras"

Sikhism does not bind. It sets you free.
May Guru Bless.
1jyot2moorti
New User

Return to Questions and Answers