I'm wondering if me not growing my hair is bad after death

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

I'm wondering if me not growing my hair is bad after death

Postby RSC2002 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:58 pm

I'm 16 year old Sikh male and i was wondering if i can reach salvation and meet God after I die if i don't grow out my hair and and become an Amritdhari Sikh. I've never grown out my hair. Ever since i was little i have been getting haircuts. I also shave my facial hair. I try my best at being a good person and doing whats right. Any answers will help me. Thx
RSC2002
New User

Re: I'm wondering if me not growing my hair is bad after dea

Postby Bundha » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:46 pm

All the shahids and Bhagats were kesh dhari, all the Gurus were keshdhari. It is hukam of Guru Gobind Singh Ji to keep your hair.

Now, make up your own mind.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Re: I'm wondering if me not growing my hair is bad after dea

Postby IJJSingh » Sun Feb 10, 2019 9:15 pm

RSC2002,

Sikhism is different than some of the other faiths, wherein we find salvation and meet God not after death but while we are alive. We do so by learning and following Gurbani. We start by meeting the external Guru (Gurbani). The external Guru in his infinite mercy unites us with the Guru that is inside each and everyone of us.

It is good that you try your best to be a good person. Society's definition of "being good" can be very different than Gurbani's definition. Research Gurbani's definition of being good, and try to follow it. Sikhism does not focus on physical and external, instead it focuses on what's in our mind. I suggest that you stop focusing on hair, and start focusing on Gurbani. Gurbani is our root. Plant and nurture the root, and many of the fruits including Kesh would follow naturally.

You may find the following dialog between Shah Saraf and Guru Nanak Dev ji helpful (Excerpted from the book Taajudin's Diary. The book can be downloaded from the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11GhV6yO3S7nAP-ufzO665GrirpKVl51S ):

Shah Saraf then said, “Many adopt the attire of a fakir and pretend that they are better than everybody else. One can’t become a fakir just by dressing like one. These fake people are neither family men nor recluse; they have gained nothing.
There is one more question in my mind. Could you please explain the purpose of things a fakir wears?”

The Guru said, “Listen O Shah Saraf. First, the fakiri has to grow inside - just like the essence of fruit which grows inside the tree before it becomes visible outside. For a true fakir, it does not matter whether he lives as a family man or a recluse. If one adopts the articles of a fakir (such as shaved head, a cap, a shroud, and a loincloth) but inside he remains attached like a family man, then these articles of fakiri cry out in dismay. They say, ‘O man! First become a fakir, otherwise, you have no right to wear us.’

First, the cap spoke out: “Lack of hair is natural for babies. If you want a head without hair and wish to wear a cap, then give up hatred and favoritism and become innocent like a baby, otherwise, keep your hair uncut and tie a turban.”

Next, the shroud spoke: “I am a cover for a dead person. Wear me only if you exist without desires like a dead person. If you can’t break attachment to this world, then don’t wear me.”

Then the broom spoke: “I sweep garbage and clean a place. If you are prepared to sweep garbage of ill-deeds from your heart then keep me, otherwise not.”

The smoke said, “Do not burn me unless you are willing to burn your five evils.”

The bag said, “I hold things for others and keep nothing for myself. Keep me if you wish to be selfless.”

Similarly, the bowl, the staff, the loincloth, wooden sandals, and dust said, “If you want to keep us then you have to adopt our qualities. Otherwise remain a family man and earn an honest living and be useful to yourself and others.”
IJJSingh
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion