Superstitions making me stressed

Discussion of life's dilemmas, blessings and challenges. Got Questions? Need Answers? This is the place to be. Feel comfortable with asking any question. Anonymous posting is allowed. Questions are answered by anyone in the sangat who feels they can help.
BBBSingh
New User

Superstitions making me stressed

Post by BBBSingh »

Hello all

I am Sikh and I do deeply love my religion, although I cut my hair, drink and eat meat etc

However my parents want to meet a Hindu pundit to discuss removing some "bad luck" I have.

apparently according to astrological charts etc I was born at a difficult time and so have to wear certain rings and charms etc to remove this bad luck I have.

I do not believe in such things, I prefer to think we make our own lives and any bad luck is down to my own decisions.

I do not want to go against my parents but I have noted a lot of our community wear such rings and charms etc

I don't want so spark the old tradition vs religion debate, but if anyone has been through something similar may help, I feel angry and stressed about this whole thing.

Thank you
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Re: Superstitions making me stressed

Post by Singh2000 »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

Just born in sikh family will not make us sikh. It is Guru’s teaching who can make us Gursikh. You said you cut hair, drink and eat meat etc then how you can say you are sikh. These are against Guru’s teaching.

These bad luck and stress never finish until you change your life according to Guru’s teaching. No pundit, rings and magic will help you. You can try. One problem will finish next will come and so on.

If you really tired of your problems and stress then start finding solution directly from SGGS teachings and get blessed from Guru.

Thanks!
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Post by loveforsikhi »

To summarize what i think you are asking, is that you don't believe in superstitions/charms and your parents do. They want you to wear this stuff, but you don't and you are wondering what you can do.

I have kind of been in that situation. When i was little my mom used to make me wear a "good luck" necklace, which she said would protect me from all sorts of bad things happening to me. She used to wear a ring, etc. She said the people who gave us the necklace had prayed for us etc. We had arguments many times that i didn't want to wear it, but I was just a kid. I remember one time I got really angry and took it off and she started crying. She thought she was doing what was best for me. I was just a kid and didn't want to go against my mom. I prayed to God, please let my mom see that the truth is not in this jewellery, but in your Name. I asked God to help her see that this was useless. And it happened! She realized that the importance was not in superstitions but in remembering God. If she didn't change her mind, I think eventually when i got older i would have decided that it was my choice and my life, despite what she wanted, and taken off the necklace.

Try explaining to your parents the reasoning behind your decision (educating them). They are coming from the point of view that they want the best for you, they have good intentions but It's going to hurt you if you just follow what they want knowing you don't believe in it. The Gurus taught against these superstitions. You make the choices for your life and have to live with them.
IJJSingh
Power User

Post by IJJSingh »

Bhai BBBSingh,

Some children who are afraid of dark start believing that there is a monster under their bed. Trying to convince them that there is no such thing doesn't usually dispel their irrational fear. What does usually work is acknowledging the monster and then coming up with some ritual for beating up and chasing the monster away.

I know your parents are not small children. However, psychology is the same. When we perceive scary circumstances beyond our control, not being able to do anything is very unsettling. Under these circumstances, people often rely on charms and black-magic to give them some sense of control.

I applaud you for loving your religion. Use this opportunity positively for yourself and your family. Tell your family that Guru has said that lord's name is the strongest defense against all evils:

ਰਾਮ ਨਾਮੁ ਜੋ ਜਨੁ ਜਪੈ ਅਨਦਿਨੁ ਸਦ ਜਾਗੈ ॥ ਤੰਤੁ ਮੰਤੁ ਨਹ ਜੋਹਈ ਤਿਤੁ ਚਾਖੁ ਨ ਲਾਗੈ ॥
That humble being who chants the Lord's Name, remains always awake and aware, night and day. He is not affected by charms and spells, nor is he harmed by the evil eye. (SGGS 817)

Then pick an easy to follow daily routine of reading gurbani. Don't try to do too much, may be complete one reading of Japuji Sahib over four days, or read Kirtan Sohila daily, or read two ashatpadis of Sukhmani Sahib every day. Make sure that you do not miss a day, and learn the meaning of everything you read, and conclude your reading with an ardas. Encourage your family members to join you in this nitnem. Hopefully, this routine will provide peace to your parents and will strengthen your relationship with the Guru.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
Superstar
Active Forum User

Post by Superstar »

Only bad luck is not following Guru. If you follow Guru, there will be no bad luck. By the way, as long as meat is not halal or kosher or killed on name of religion or deity, you can eat it.
swarn bains
Power User

Post by swarn bains »

sikh religion does not believe in superstitions. let us see bad Oman which we the Indians are used to do not effect other races. so they are made up by the pundits to squeeze money from your pocket by scaring you. all that you wear around your neck is just a weight you carry being scared of the things pundit told your patents. next come time of birth. same way the westerners are not afraid of time of birth so it should also is wrong. next time you or your parents go to pundit ask him if he can stop taking birth at bad time orhterwise he is just bluffing. smart people create doubt in the mind of followers of faith and that is cause of a new religion to come into existence finding fault of the previous religion. being a sikh you or your parents have no reason to go to a pundit. eating meat; halaal is a common term for muslims and sikhs alike. halaal me earned or obtained by doing some work. only difference between sikhs and muslims is that after actually killing the animal; muslims read a kalma
allah hoo akbar three time. basically the animal is dead but they cut the breathing vein with a knife. Sikhs kill the animal with a sword but with one attack. how much difference you find between the two. eating meat is is forbidden in sggs by kabir sahib in his slok not by anyone else. do you think our gurus who hunted they killed the animal and threw them away. what a justice to justify that. anything which overpowers your mind is bad. so if you drink and it makes you out of sense then it is really bad but if you drink a social drink it is like anything else such as water. tell your parents to stop following pundits. that will help you also
BBBSingh
New User

Post by BBBSingh »

Singh2000 wrote:Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

Just born in sikh family will not make us sikh. It is Guru’s teaching who can make us Gursikh. You said you cut hair, drink and eat meat etc then how you can say you are sikh. These are against Guru’s teaching.

These bad luck and stress never finish until you change your life according to Guru’s teaching. No pundit, rings and magic will help you. You can try. One problem will finish next will come and so on.

If you really tired of your problems and stress then start finding solution directly from SGGS teachings and get blessed from Guru.

Thanks!
try reading my original post again. I am sorry that only Gursikhs can ask for help here!!
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Post by Singh2000 »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

BBBSingh, Sorry for harsh and straight words. But this is true, no one can help you to get rid of from bad luck. It is only you who can help yourself.

I gave you answer in three paragraphs:

First paragraph explain reason of problems:
You described although you cut your hair and drink but still you like Sikhism. These are physical issue you described but there are some other issue which we don’t accept impacting us is “Maya influence” that is impacting us by kaam (lust), krodh (anger), lobh (greed), moh (attachment) and ahankar (pride/ego).

These salient thieves giving us trouble by giving bad luck and other problems in our day to day life. These Maya influence taking us away from Guru Nanak’s teaching or Sikhism. Please read following definition of Gursikh as per SGGS. We all are not great gursikh but we can try to go on that path with positive progress.

ਮਃ ੪ ॥
Fourth Mehl:
ਗੁਰ ਸਤਿਗੁਰ ਕਾ ਜੋ ਸਿਖੁ ਅਖਾਏ ਸੁ ਭਲਕੇ ਉਠਿ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
One who calls himself a Sikh of the Guru, the True Guru, shall rise in the early morning hours and meditate on the Lord's Name.
ਉਦਮੁ ਕਰੇ ਭਲਕੇ ਪਰਭਾਤੀ ਇਸਨਾਨੁ ਕਰੇ ਅੰਮ੍ਰਿਤ ਸਰਿ ਨਾਵੈ ॥
Upon arising early in the morning, he is to bathe, and cleanse himself in the pool of nectar.
ਉਪਦੇਸਿ ਗੁਰੂ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਜਪੁ ਜਾਪੈ ਸਭਿ ਕਿਲਵਿਖ ਪਾਪ ਦੋਖ ਲਹਿ ਜਾਵੈ ॥
Following the Instructions of the Guru, he is to chant the Name of the Lord, Har, Har. All sins, misdeeds and negativity shall be erased.
ਫਿਰਿ ਚੜੈ ਦਿਵਸੁ ਗੁਰਬਾਣੀ ਗਾਵੈ ਬਹਦਿਆ ਉਠਦਿਆ ਹਰਿ ਨਾਮੁ ਧਿਆਵੈ ॥
Then, at the rising of the sun, he is to sing Gurbani; whether sitting down or standing up, he is to meditate on the Lord's Name.
ਜੋ ਸਾਸਿ ਗਿਰਾਸਿ ਧਿਆਏ ਮੇਰਾ ਹਰਿ ਹਰਿ ਸੋ ਗੁਰਸਿਖੁ ਗੁਰੂ ਮਨਿ ਭਾਵੈ ॥
One who meditates on my Lord, Har, Har, with every breath and every morsel of food - that GurSikh becomes pleasing to the Guru's Mind.
ਜਿਸ ਨੋ ਦਇਆਲੁ ਹੋਵੈ ਮੇਰਾ ਸੁਆਮੀ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਗੁਰੂ ਉਪਦੇਸੁ ਸੁਣਾਵੈ ॥
That person, unto whom my Lord and Master is kind and compassionate - upon that GurSikh, the Guru's Teachings are bestowed.
ਜਨੁ ਨਾਨਕੁ ਧੂੜਿ ਮੰਗੈ ਤਿਸੁ ਗੁਰਸਿਖ ਕੀ ਜੋ ਆਪਿ ਜਪੈ ਅਵਰਹ ਨਾਮੁ ਜਪਾਵੈ ॥੨॥
Servant Nanak begs for the dust of the feet of that GurSikh, who himself chants the Naam, and inspires others to chant it. ||2||

Second paragraph explain reason for Continuation of problem:
We generally solve one problem by mercy of God and other problems will follow. Never think why these problems are never ending coming again and again. Because what we sow or think that becomes our karma and fruits becomes multiply although good or bad. Then we go here and there for magic and help to solve our problem without changing our self. In absence of change this vicious circle of bad luck and problems never ending.

Third paragraph explain solution of problems:
Naam is ultimate solution to solve our problem permanently and live blissful life. All saints and great persons are due to Naam. Whole universe is on support is Naam. Naam is wisdom of Guru, principles of Sikhism, teachings of guru, hukkam, shabad. So earn naam or qualities described as per Gurbani. Or tune with naam to solve problem. Otherwise no other helps available in this world.

Guru Nanak is master who can help us to control on maya. Take his support. He lives in gurbani and sangat.
SGGS is a map to showing us the path of blissful life to merge with one. But if we just open and look map everyday and praise very nice map and bow to map, then how we can reach our destination of oneness without walking on that path. Guidance is there it is us who have to walk on that path to get blissful life.

You can try for 90 days to read SGGS one page everyday with understanding and analyze your life for betterment. Always think Guru Nanak will take care for you, no worries. I can give you guarantee, all bad luck will go within three months.

Thanks!
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

BBBSingh wrote:Hello all

I am Sikh and I do deeply love my religion, although I cut my hair, drink and eat meat etc

However my parents want to meet a Hindu pundit to discuss removing some "bad luck" I have.

apparently according to astrological charts etc I was born at a difficult time and so have to wear certain rings and charms etc to remove this bad luck I have.

I do not believe in such things, I prefer to think we make our own lives and any bad luck is down to my own decisions.

I do not want to go against my parents but I have noted a lot of our community wear such rings and charms etc

I don't want so spark the old tradition vs religion debate, but if anyone has been through something similar may help, I feel angry and stressed about this whole thing.

Thank you
This kind of beliefs are deeply personal and outside socio-politico-legal context of 'a religion'.
Solution to this problem is very simple. If you covertly or overtly believe in that or it is affecting your psyche for that matter or you are in a dilemma over that then there is no harm in doing what is required according to pundit or someone else. That will make you believe that problem has been solved for you to continue with stress-free and normal life. Neither you are denouncing Sikhi nor you are intentionally doing anything against Sikhi. For example if an Amritdhari Sikh has to be operated upon for neuro or head related problems, he will have to shave hair from that part. I wish you all the best. Thanks.

Post by Guest »

Speaking of superstitions, I think I might have been cursed by a sikh man. I hope you guys can help. I befriended him 2 yrs ago and I treated him like he was my brother, but he exploited the friendship between us and used me to take advantages. I don't hate him, I just want to stay away from him. 4 months ago he asked me to borrow him money but I refused then he drew a circle above me head and left. Since than I have been perplexed by bad luck - I got hit by a car, my motorbike got stolen and my health is going down. I wonder what he has done with me is a curse or not?