how to deal with depression

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports
lostandfound
New User

how to deal with depression

Post by lostandfound »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Over the past 3 years, I have been dealing with depression - on and off. Six months ago, I thought I had dealt with the depression, become a more positive person and learned to live and enjoy the present moment. Over the past 10 days, I have fallen back into severe depression (for no reason I can see) and I am afraid it will continue my entire life. I am 30 years old, have a secure job and happily married - no children yet. The worst part of my depression - the impact I see that it has on my husband. I do not wish to take medication but would rather deal with this naturally. Could anyone help me or offer any suggestions for dealing with depression? WJKK WJKF
topateksingh
Active Forum User

Re: how to deal with depression

Post by topateksingh »

Hi lostnfound

Everybody passes through this depressive cycle at one or other time of one's life, may be because of matrimonial problems, finacial crunch, loss of loved one or any other reason.

Since you mentioned in your post that you are married and have a stable job so money matters and lonliness are not the issues, at least at this stage. Some of the steps that you can take or force your self to take are as under:

1. Enroll in some enrichment program, for example learning a new language or earning a computer diploma etc.
2. Join some ladies club, if there is one, and discover your hidden potential in cooking, singing, dancing, swimming etc.
3. Join some voluntary organisation, particularly working in health or education sector, even if you can spare only two hours per week
4. Work for some old home/orphanage or special children's home where you come across people who are actually facing various types of problems.

I believe following any of the above or a combination of them will definitely remove your symptoms altogether.

Best of luck to a happier future.
tealeave
New User

Post by tealeave »

Dear Lostandfound
Sorry you're feeling this way, I think the ideas suggested by Topek are great, also doing Naam Simran,listening to patt such as Anand Sahib or kirtan and spending time the gurudwara might help you feel peaceful and uplifted.

Its difficult to reach out to other people when you're feeling depressed but spending time with people who care about you -family and friends - even if you don't feel like talking might help too. You mentioned that you felt this way before, was there anything that helped it pass? I know you don't not want to take medication but it might still be a good idea to speak to a doctor in case there's other help they can suggest.

Hope you're feeling better soon with Viaguruji's blessings,

Viaguruji ka khalsa, Viaguruji ka fateh
lostandfound
New User

Post by lostandfound »

Thank you so much for your reply! I have spoken to my doctor before and he has also advised me to stay busy with hobbies etc. but I don't find any joy in trying new hobbies. I feel like I am in a black hole with only negative thoughts to keep me company. Things which would gave me joy 2 weeks ago have no impact on me now. I hope to keep listening to Paath, find support and start living again
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Will recommend Tulsi Tea

http://www.organicindia.co.in/organic-i ... si-tea.php

It Reduces Stress, Promotes Calmness & Clarity, Minimizes cold & flu symptoms, Balances Metabolism, Strengthens Immunity & Stamina, Powerful Adaptogen, Natural Immuno-Modulator and is Caffeine free !

In addition take a break from routine, weekend getaway can do wonders.

Visit a Spa, Ayurveda massage is a good option.

Lastly go visit your parents or invite them over for a change.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
tealeave
New User

Post by tealeave »

Dear Lostandfound
Think the worse thing when you're feeling depressed is losing interest in things, its really difficult but trying to have a routine in the day keeps you going even if you're having to force yourself to do something, and looking after yourself like BJ mentioned about spa's and massage.

I know it sounds strange but I find talking to Viaguruji about what's on my mind helps, even if its difficult to feel hope, things do start changing, you feel you're not so alone in the world. I'm not an expert on this, but from what I've read and heard our Gurus said suffering helps us come closer to Viaguruji, from my own experience I feel it to be true too.

With best wishes

Viaguruji ka khalsa, Viaguruji ka fateh
lostandfound
New User

Post by lostandfound »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,
Thank you for your replies. I am trying to find hobbies to stay busy in and looking into the tulsi tea suggested by singhbj. My family lives overseas so it's difficult for them to visit me. I don't think my depression is stress related, all I want to do everyday is stay in bed and go to sleep and I do not know why. I don't remember how I got past my depression last time, but with Waheguru Ji's grace, I'm hoping I can do it again.
I also wanted to genuinely say thank you to everyone for your positive messages.
WJKK WJKF
Ricky100
New User

Post by Ricky100 »

Good thread. No doubt that there are many ways to deal with depression. Exercise like yoga,walk and swimming are good for this purpose. Proper sleeping,sports and good food are also good.

Post by Guest »

dear, lost and found..

i have dealt with severe depression for imore than 2.5 years,i know what goes in person mind it is worst than hell,but as you know every problem has a solution. i tried medicine they made me sleepy and overweight..i was 90 kg ..now i am 75 kgs ,i lost interest in all good things in world.

what i did to come out of that hell ....

1.self beleive...used to go for running and continously rpeat i am brave, iam good i will overcome it works like miracle running in itself is life best antedote to depression.

2.i sarting reading motivational books i remember...... i read EVERY SECOND COUNTS BY LANCE ARMSTRONG his story back from cancer.. used to say to myself if he can do why can`t i.

3.whenever negative thouts come to your mind just say go away there is no place for you in my mind.

4. i watched motivational movies

5. i started travelling....long walks in the near natural surrounding will do wonders

medicine never helped me it was my urge to fight ....it will take time and effort but you will surely win.....

last thing nothing goes unrewarded...if i would not have suffered i would not have helped you with my experience....

i am changed person mow ..i know life is very beutiful..i don`t get irritated or angry on trivial issues for me i am the best

god bless you........

Post by Guest »