NRI Sarai

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
khak dware di
New User

NRI Sarai

Post by khak dware di »

I just spoke to a friend who visited Amritsar from America for 10 days. He said the NRI sarai is absolutely beautiful IF you can get a room. To get a room he had to first get a safarish from an MLA, then he had to pay 2,000 rupees extra bride when checking in. While he was there he saw many NRIs being turned away because they were told the Sarai was full. He was there for 10 days and noticed half of the rooms were empty, the other half were occupied by relatives of Punjabi politicians or people like himself with Safarish. If corruption is present in God's home, there is no hope for the rest of India...
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Re: NRI Sarai

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

khak dware di wrote:I just spoke to a friend who visited Amritsar from America for 10 days. He said the NRI sarai is absolutely beautiful IF you can get a room. To get a room he had to first get a safarish from an MLA, then he had to pay 2,000 rupees extra bride when checking in. While he was there he saw many NRIs being turned away because they were told the Sarai was full. He was there for 10 days and noticed half of the rooms were empty, the other half were occupied by relatives of Punjabi politicians or people like himself with Safarish. If corruption is present in God's home, there is no hope for the rest of India...

SSA Ji,

Its advisable to first get all facts and get them verified before forming an opinion.

Did your friend tried to get a room as a single male ? or was he there with a family ?. If single male then I have no doubt that he would be refused a separate room and asked to sleep in the hall where men sleep. They try to keep rooms for families.

Its better to book first (don't know how to do that) before going, the place can get crowded, having said that I am sure they keep some rooms for VIP's.

As far as giving money is concerned, I heard there is a golak where in you can put whatever you want before leaving.

- Nihal
nnnsingh
Active Forum User

Post by nnnsingh »

Sad but true. Unless you know someone or are willing to pay a bribe your likelyhood of getting a room is low. Last time I went locals (from Punjab) were given /leaving rooms right in front of me. The funny part about this is that they go overseas to collect money for NRI's when they build these sarais.
swarn bains
Power User

Post by swarn bains »

firstly the sarai is not God's home. it is a place to spend the night not ten days. next why should there be a sarai for nri. they have not descended from heaven. if they have lot of money to burn then go to a motel. if they are looking for a sarai then go to guru ramdas sarai. you did not go to live in the sarai for ten days. it is just a vist for a day or two. you actually used the sarai for your luxury. you did the same what the bribe taker did. the bribe is always there. there is not much one can do.
David Singh
Active Forum User

Post by David Singh »

I think they have a policy of only allowing in families. Corruption is everywhere, but we would least expect it in our Gurudwaras.
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Did some research on Sikh history and found that

"After Guru Hargobind Sahib ji's departure from Amritsar to Kiratpur in 1635 no other Guru visited Harmandir Sahib".
Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib ji with his entire family reached Amritsar (about November, 1664) to pay obeisance at Harmandir Sahib, but the ministers of the holy place shut its doors against him and he was not allowed to enter. Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib did not pressed or forced his entry but returned calmly and reached Kiratpur Sahib via Vallah, Khandur Sahib, Goindwal Sahib, Tarn Taran Sahib, Khem karan. Before reaching Kiratpur, he also visited Talwandi Saboke, Banger and Dhandaur. It is to be noted that wherever Guru Sahib went, there he established new Manjis (preaching centres of Sikhism). Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib reached Kiratpur Sahib in May 1665.
And as per my knowledge Guru Gobind Singh Sahib ji never visited Amritsar.

So what's the big deal !

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
deepharn
Power User

Post by deepharn »

Khak Dwar Ji

So this NRI friend of yours was a smart person - if he was a NRI, affording a good hotel in and around Golden temple was a possibility and would have cost him a total of about US$200 for 10 days. Your friend chose to stay in NRI Sarai for a small amount even after paying the bribe - he paid bribe to prompt quick service. like a Tip in a hotel The counter clerk at NRI sarai, who was not an idiot, understood that your smart NRI friend is upto saving. Even after paying the NRI sarai rent and bribe or Tip, your friend still came back happily, swinging from side to side, that in a net bargain, he saved something.

So, please dont find fault with others and those innocent counter clerks at the Sarai. I have been to Golden Temple sarai many times, and never have i paid a penny. Yes, but I had to wait and willing did wait - and finally always got a room in some or the other sarai.

No body ever asked me for bribe or Tip, nor did it occur to me.

Your friend should not have given bribe and spoilt those counter clerks and if you are in contact with this friend, please tell him not to do so again.

Thanks
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Post by vikramjit gurufateh singh »

Fateh Parwaan Karro Jiyo,

There is a NRI Sarai on popular demand from NRIs. The regular Sarai does not have the facilities you find in the NRI Sarai. NRIs kept demanding 'we do not mind paying for better facilities'.

Yes some people do tend to overstay and just yesterday while doing Kathaa from ManjI Sahib Hall Gyaniji had mentioned about this overstaying problem.

In case one encounters demands for money , one should not hesitate bringing it to the attention of SGPC. The Office is next to the Sarai. We must not forget that in 'bribery' there are two parties involved and both are guilty. And a 'chalta hai' attitude is encouraging bribery.... meaning one may not bribe but not take any action against the one demanding a bribe.

Guru Rakha
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
pavneet.singh
New User

Post by pavneet.singh »

This is all false, with just a mindset to criticize people.. I went to Darbar Sahib with my family in December 2011 and stayed there for 2 days. All I did was call them in advance and tell them that I was coming from Canada and then give my Canadian address when I reached there.. No hassles, no corruption, nothing.

Gurfateh..
dil-dukhda-ae
New User

Post by dil-dukhda-ae »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa , waheguru ji ki fateh.

The amount paid by NRI friend of khak dware ki is just equal to the amount to be paid for an ordinary room 10 days. Charge for one day is Rs200. So for 10 days it is 2000. That is it. There was no bribe. Only thing was the recommendation part which should not have been there. Inspite , a sincere request would have worked.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa , waheguru ji ki fateh.

Jhoolde nishaan rahe panth maharaj ke.