Nikkie Haley called a raghead!!

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
SportySardar
Power User

Nikkie Haley called a raghead!!

Post by SportySardar »

FYI...

Well, well! Nikki Haley aka Nimrata Randhawa is a former Sikh running for SC Governor on the Republican ticket. She's been called a raghead because of her Sikh parents. And that too by one of her own republicans.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... id=topnews

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_Haley

I'm not sure what kind of a role model she is but she says she attends both Methodist and Sikh services. She's also been accused of 2 affairs albeit without proof.

I didn't realize she was Sikh till the raghead story came out.
Kuldip S. Virdi
Power User

Re: Nikkie Haley called a raghead!!

Post by Kuldip S. Virdi »

I suppose that in U.S. for some one to run for the public office has to be Christian, otherwise you are not just acceptable. Bobby Jindal, the Governor of Lousiana is also Christian of some denomination.

The easiest way to block some one in the political ladder seems to be find some self claiming sex partners of the candidate.

Well, Nikki should have known it better being in U.S. and in politics. The Sikhs had been called ragheads from the time they first emigrated to US building thier railways,logging their forest and picking oranges and other fruits. Rememeber, it was only in late 1940s after a lot of efforts of Dr. Dalip Singh Saundh, the first US Congressman of Sikh and Indian origin that US decided to allow people of Indian origin to be naturalized as citizen.

Small price for those who emigrate basically for the economical reasons and look for the virtues of a society which wishes to reserve it for their 'own'. So much for the US eglatarian society welcoming all emigrants and recognising the merits in each of them irrespective of color and religion.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, Wahe Guru ji Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

Is this relevant ?

She left Sikhism a long time ago, and consorts with the generally racist right wing of the Republican party.
HarvinderSurrey
Active Forum User

Post by HarvinderSurrey »

Haley, Jindal and America's new religious litmus test

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... _mean.html
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

HarvinderSurrey wrote:Haley, Jindal and America's new religious litmus test

http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfa ... _mean.html
Interesting read, but as the article says, these two Indian-Americans are genuinely ashamed of their religious heritage (actually, in Jindal's case, he converted to Catholicism a very long time ago).

My point stands - why are we discussing a Methodist's problems in fitting in with her new coreligionists ?
Chardi_Kala
New User

Post by Chardi_Kala »

Excellent Article,

I am torn on how to actually view this issue. On one hand, I do understand that Haley and Jinday have an incentive to play down the things that will hurt them in getting elected. Afterall they are politicians and in my opinion, 99% of politicians will say or do anything to get elected. It does not matter what their true views are. The only thing that is important to them is getting elected. It is also possible to change one's religion but it is impossible to change one's race or ethnicity so they will attempt to do whatever they can. These people know that a large part of their electorate is prejediced or even racist so it makes sense to play down their race or ethinicity. I remember Bobby Jindal appearing on television and everytime he appeared, he said that he decided to name himself "Bobby" after one of the characters in old tv show "Brady Bunch"that he watched in his childhood. In my opinion, he repeated this story over and over to calm the prejudiced people. He was saying "I am one of you guys, I may look different but I watched the same tv show you watched while growing up and I also believe in Jesus Christ".

The second issue is whether these people should really be considered "role models" for young people in South Asian community. Afterall they are of Indian origin, but feel shame in stand up for their true identity. People such as Haley and Jindal have not really done anything to promote the interests of Sikhs or Hindus respectively. I am highly doubtfull that one in office they would support legislation against hate crimes or racial profiling. Afterall they are representing Republican Southern states and they will not support anything that their voter base does not support.

I think that the case of Haley and Jindal shows the reality of American politics today. It may be that U.S. have come a long way when it comes to racism but it still has a long way to go in areas involving accepting people from non-Christian or Jewish backgrounds in mainstream politics. And Haley should learn from the "raghead" comment that one is not immune from racism even if the person does everything to distance themself from their background.
Democracy is not a system of liberty, but a form of tyranny: the tyranny of the majority. – Robert Garmong
SportySardar
Power User

Post by SportySardar »

I thought it was an interesting topic. Nikki Haley still attends Gurudwara and she made sure she was married in a church as well as a Gurudwara. SIkhi is not something that you can ever give up. You can say what you want and do what you want.

I have friends that have been to Gurudwara's and prefer going there for peace of mind than any where else. They are not Sikhs or keep kesh or anything but its just the feeling that they get.