Caste System

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru
pinkangel1
New User

Caste System

Post by pinkangel1 »

Hi,
I am a 25 year old Sikh girl. I have a problem with inter-caste relationships, or my family does atleast. My boyfriend of the last 7 years is Hindu Chamar, he has converted to Sikhism. My family won't accept our relationship because my family is Jatt. He has equal financial status, education status and even converted for me (no problem with kids being Sikh). I am confused and can not hurt my parents as they have gone through so many troubles to raise me. I don't know how to leave my boyfriend also. Sometimes I feel like dying. I am not amritdhari, but I consider myself more religious than average. I have always been brought up to think that their is no caste system in Sikhism. I want replies from specifically amritdhari Sikh brothers, so they can provide me with a religious point of view.

Thanks,

Jaspreet Kaur Gill
sajjansingh
Active Forum User

Re: Caste System

Post by sajjansingh »

Sikh Dharma manual is available in English at http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikh-dharma-manual.html
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Jaspreet Kaur Gill ji,

It is an irony that we try to intermingle caste system with religion.
As per Gurmat every Sikh is equal in the eyes of Satguru.
But punjabi society at large has reservations in marrying their daughters out of caste.
Honour killings do take place in Punjab due to love or intercaste marriages.

So it's advisable to get prior consent of parents in such matters.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh
jodha.manawan
New User

Post by jodha.manawan »

guru fateh ji

i understand your problem,but the main thing is you must see the whole scenario from your parents point of view.it depends on why your BF has converted to sikhism,because of you or he really found smthin in sikhism which satisfies his soul.because dis is vry importent fr ur relationship also.u must ask him dis question. i m jatt too but dat doesn't mean we should judge people on the basis of caste.
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

pinkangel1 wrote:Hi,
I am a 25 year old Sikh girl. I have a problem with inter-caste relationships, or my family does atleast. My boyfriend of the last 7 years is Hindu Chamar, he has converted to Sikhism. My family won't accept our relationship because my family is Jatt. He has equal financial status, education status and even converted for me (no problem with kids being Sikh). I am confused and can not hurt my parents as they have gone through so many troubles to raise me. I don't know how to leave my boyfriend also. Sometimes I feel like dying. I am not amritdhari, but I consider myself more religious than average. I have always been brought up to think that their is no caste system in Sikhism. I want replies from specifically amritdhari Sikh brothers, so they can provide me with a religious point of view.

Thanks,

Jaspreet Kaur Gill
Sat Sri Akaal sister,

I am not Amritdhari (yet), but here are my thoughts on the subject.

I think that you should seriously consider going your own way. If you family is caste bound, then they are really not Sikhs, and if they oppose your union with the man you love (and who from all appearances, loves you), then they are really not acting like your family.

Sorry, if that is an uncomfortable observation.