'Never say die says' a 95 year old

Essays, stories, articles, poems and artwork.

'Never say die says' a 95 year old

Postby KamaljitSingh » Sat Nov 27, 2010 7:13 pm

Khushwant Singh emphasises on truth and truthful living-----
http://hindustantimes.com/Coming-to-ter ... 31775.aspx
What does your religion mean to you? I suggest that on religious festivals after performing expected rituals, people should spend a little time — about half-an-hour — in silence and ask themselves: "What does my religion really mean to me?" Hindus could do this on Ram Navmi or Diwali, Muslims on Eid-ul Fitr, Christians on Christmas, Sikhs on the birth anniversaries of the founder of Sikhism — Guru Nanak. Let me illustrate the issue. I was born and brought up as a Sikh. I learnt my daily prayers and could recite them by heart. I went to gurdwaras to pray and joined religious processions. I followed this routine in school and college. It was in the seven years in Lahore and my close association with Manzur Qadir that I began to question many of the religious assumptions. He was a Muslim but did not offer Namaz, either at home or in a mosque even on Eid. Neither did his uncle Sleem who was India's tennis champion for many years and preferred living like an aristocrat, rather than a Muslim nawab. Being Muslim meant little to them. Neither bothered to make religion an issue. I did. When India gained independence, I gained freedom from conformist religion and declared myself an agnostic. Oddly enough, for reasons I cannot fathom, my interest in religions increased. I studied scriptures of all religions, translated a lot of my own and taught Comparative Religions in American universities like Princeton, Swarthmore and Hawaii. My interest in the subject continues. On Guru Nanak's birth anniversary (November 21) I tried to answer the question — How much of a Sikh am I? And drew up a list of answers. Although I do not practice my religious rituals, I have a sense of belonging to the Sikh community. Whatever happens to it, is of concern to me and I speak up or write about it. I think that speculating about where we come from and where we go after we die is a waste of time. No one has the foggiest idea. What we should be concerned about is what we do in our lives on earth. An Urdu couplet sums it up neatly: Hikayat-e-hastee sunee To darmiyaan say sunee; Na ibtida kee khabr hai Na intiha maaloom (What I have heard of life / Is only the Middle/I know not its beginning / I know not its end). I have imbibed what I think are the basics of Sikhism as I see it now. I regard truth to be the essence of religion. As Guru Nanak said: Suchchon orey sab ko Ooper Suchh Aachaar (Truth above all / Above truth / Truthful conduct). I do my best not to lie. It is easier than telling lies because lying requires cunning to cover up lies you have told before. Truth does not require brains. Earn your own living and share some of it with others, said Guru Nanak. Khat ghaal kichh hathhon dey Nanak raah pachchaney sey ("He who earns with his own hands and with his own hands gives some of it away," says Nanak, "has found the true way.") I try not to hurt others' feelings. If I have done so, I try to cleanse my conscience by tendering an apology. I have also imbibed the motto: "Chardi Kala: ever remain in buoyant spirits, never say die." Ponder over it. Try it out.
Satnam Waheguru

Sewa is a bit extra that we do for the fellow beings and we may call it 'Practical Simran'.
KamaljitSingh
Power User

Re: 'Never say die says' a 95 year old

Postby spiritual peace » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:09 pm

KamaljitSingh thank you for the post..it was good to read..and interesting..good values and morals mentioned and shared with us all..something for everyone to imbibe and act upon...
spiritual peace
New User

Cheerfulness appear to be the secret of long life

Postby KamaljitSingh » Sun Mar 06, 2011 6:38 pm

What really impress me about this grand uncle(95 something)is that his writings bring a smile to you.Cheerfulness appears to be the secret of a healthy life.
http://tribuneindia.com/2011/20110305/s ... /above.htm
Satnam Waheguru

Sewa is a bit extra that we do for the fellow beings and we may call it 'Practical Simran'.
KamaljitSingh
Power User

Postby shailenderkumar » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:18 am

Thanks KamaljitSingh for your nice post, People like you really inspire others(including me) to accept the challenge in the life and face it with brave heart and if you do so then you'll be winner in the end.
shailenderkumar
Active Forum User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:33 am

''Ae Jag meet na dakhio koe---True friendship isn't seen in this world (SGGS)''.Khushwant Singh writes his views on friendship
http://tribuneindia.com/2011/20110312/s ... /above.htm

Satnam Waheguru
Satnam Waheguru

KamaljitSingh
Power User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Mon Jun 06, 2011 2:55 am

Enjoy reading Khushwant Singh's views on Astrology--
http://tribuneindia.com/2011/20110604/s ... /above.htm
Satnam Waheguru

KamaljitSingh
Power User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Thu Jul 28, 2011 9:11 pm

A sense of humour could possibly result in a long and healthy life.It ought to be noted that Khushwant Singh is about to touch the 100 year mark of his life span.
http://tribuneindia.com/2011/20110723/s ... /above.htm

Satnam Waheguru
Satnam Waheguru

KamaljitSingh
Power User

Return to Inspiration