meditating on Naam

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.

meditating on Naam

Postby jasnoor » Wed Nov 17, 2010 1:07 pm

I'm new to Sikhism and I would like to start meditating on a Divine Name. What are the Divine Names of God in Sikhism? Mostly I am interested in a Name that relates to the Divine Light.

Jasnoor
jasnoor
Active Forum User

Re: meditating on Naam

Postby KamaljitSingh » Wed Nov 17, 2010 5:50 pm

The word 'Guru' means illiminater of darkness by divine light.The meditating words for you can be 'Wahe Guru'(being appreciatiive and thankful to the divine light) or 'Dhan Guru'(being thankful to the divine light)
Satnam Waheguru

Sewa is a bit extra that we do for the fellow beings and we may call it 'Practical Simran'.
KamaljitSingh
Power User

Postby Guest » Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:40 pm

KamaljitSingh wrote:The word 'Guru' means illiminater of darkness by divine light.The meditating words for you can be 'Wahe Guru'(being appreciatiive and thankful to the divine light) or 'Dhan Guru'(being thankful to the divine light)

Another perspective- Waheguru- O' Almighty (Guru) you are so wondourous that i dont actually have words to praise you. in absence os words and in a delightful, peaceful, thankful state of mind, the word that comes out effortlessly is 'WAHEGURU'.

its one of the most beautiful thing i have come across.

Jasnoor- enjoy, acknowledge and cherish your state of mind. May GOD bless us all with his love and make all of us his/her by overlooking our deeds.

Postby Sukhdev Singh » Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:30 pm

jasnoor wrote:I'm new to Sikhism and I would like to start meditating on a Divine Name. What are the Divine Names of God in Sikhism? Mostly I am interested in a Name that relates to the Divine Light.

Jasnoor

[color=#008040]I am responding to a topic about "name that relates to the devine light" raised by Jasnoor.
Aasaa, Fifth Mehl:
Bẖa▫ī parāpaṯ mānukẖ ḏehurī▫ā.
This human body has been given to you.
Gobinḏ milaṇ kī ih ṯerī barī▫ā.
This is your chance to meet the Lord of the Universe.
Avar kāj ṯerai kiṯai na kām.
Nothing else will work.
Mil sāḏẖsangaṯ bẖaj keval nām. ||1||
Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; vibrate and meditate on the Jewel of the Naam. ||1||
Saraʼnjām lāg bẖavjal ṯaran kai.
Make every effort to cross over this terrifying world-ocean.
Janam baritha jāṯ rang mā▫i▫ā kai. ||1|| rahā▫o.
You are squandering this life uselessly in the love of Maya. ||1||Pause||
Jap ṯap sanjam ḏẖaram na kamā▫i▫ā.
I have not practiced meditation, self-discipline, self-restraint or righteous living.
Sevā sāḏẖ na jāni▫ā har rā▫i▫ā.
I have not served the Holy; I have not acknowledged the Lord, my King.
Kaho Nānak ham nīcẖ karammā.
Says Nanak, my actions are contemptible!
Saraṇ pare kī rākẖo sarmā. ||2||4||
O Lord, I seek Your Sanctuary; please, preserve my honor!

First of all getting " humen birth " is a very precious gift from god. The shabad goes on to say in this human body is an oportunity to meet the lord. ( NO other species can acheive or able to meet the lord). Avar kāj ṯerai kiṯai na kām. Nothing else will work ......reading of Holy scriptures. leading a good and honest life, lots of charity work, bathing in holy rivers or sarovers, doing seva at temple.. so on. This does not mean one should'nt do these, it means doing these on their own will not lead you to Lord or Devine light. Nothing will work !!!... so whats next. Mil sāḏẖsangaṯ bẖaj keval nām.
Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; vibrate and meditate on the Jewel of the Naam. Saad Sangat ..... where the " satsang" is about the truth...Name,Simran
"name" mentioned in the shabad is not the some word like Waheguru or molmanter or a word that can be 'writen, spoken' OR discribed in any shape or form or a Varnatmic name, a word whose origin or spelling can be traced, like ' Allah' one can safley say it started in middle east, may be Mecca in 700 BC... just an example to illustrate the origins of a varnatmic name. On the orther hand a Dhunatmic name cannot be traced to the origin or it cannot be described , seen by the eyes, or heard by our physical ears, or reach it. This is the "NAME" that is repeatedly mentioned in 99% of the SGGS.
Now where will i get the know how to get this "name". the answer is .Mil sāḏẖsangaṯ bẖaj keval nām. ||1||
Join the Saadh Sangat, the Company of the Holy; vibrate and meditate on the Jewel of the Naam. When you meditate on the writen name, through meditation of this name will one day take your surat ( conciousness) to level where you will hear the "name" the dhunatmic name, 'word' or logos as discribed by Christ, bhangay Ilahi by muslims, Naad, unstruck melody, devine music, Dhunatmic shabad desribed by different religious scripts
Guru nanak stresses this point. Sevā sāḏẖ na jāni▫ā har rā▫i▫ā.
I have not served the Holy; I have not acknowledged the Lord, my King.
Kaho Nānak ham nīcẖ karammā.
Says Nanak, my actions are contemptible!.
This where the controvacey is in force, as most sikhs draw a line and disagree, "company of the holy..saints.....Living Guru. Oh my God!!!!!!!No No NO. Please let quote a few more lines from the SGGS , from different shabads stating clearly the need for a Guru.
Pūrab likẖaṯ likẖe gur pā▫i▫ā man har liv mandal mandā he. ||1||
By pre-ordained destiny, I have met with the Guru. I have entered into the realm of the Lord's Love. ||1||
Jā ka▫o ā▫e so▫ī bihājẖahu har gur ṯe manėh baserā.
Purchase only that for which you have come into the world, and through the Guru, the Lord shall dwell within your mind.
Nānak ḏās ihai sukẖ māgai mo ka▫o kar sanṯan kī ḏẖūre. ||4||5||
Nanak, Your slave, begs for this happiness: let me be the dust of the feet of the Saints.
Jin ka▫o saṯgur thāpi▫ā ṯin met na sakai ko▫e.
No one can overthrow those who have been established by the True Guru.
Jin ka▫o saṯgur thāpi▫ā ṯin met na sakai ko▫e.
No one can overthrow those who have been established by the True Guru.
Onā anḏar nām niḏẖān hai nāmo pargat ho▫e.
The Treasure of the Naam, the Name of the Lord, is within them, and through the Naam, they are radiant and famous.
Gurmukẖ kirpā kare bẖagaṯ kījai bin gur bẖagaṯ na ho▫ī.
By His Grace one becomes Gurmukh, worshipping the Lord with devotion. Without the Guru there is no devotional worship.
Pūre gur kī sev na kīnī birthā janam gavā▫i▫ā. ||1|| rahā▫o.
They do not serve the Perfect Guru; they waste away their lives in vain.
Jinī purkẖī saṯgur na sevi▫o se ḏukẖī▫e jug cẖār.
Those who do not serve the True Guru shall be miserable throughout the four ages.
These line are taken from the SGGS, I believe it is a true guide..... if we follow the clear advise given by the departed gurus. One has to recognise the Text or bani was writen BY THE GURU's

Sukhdev singh
Sukhdev Singh
New User

Postby Guest » Sun May 13, 2012 11:43 am

The first thing we must learn is to discipline ourselves in Truth, the real Truth Practitioners(That practice God's heart) live truth, speak truth, serve truth and die truth. This means that we never commit a lie, nor a white lie, we dont even lie to ourselves (a massive pyschological problem for people is bullshitting themselves).

Mool Mantar tells us very clearly that the name of God is Satnaam- His name is Truth (Sat)- the opposite of illusion i.e maya.

The anhad naad pervades throughout the entire creation, although Gurbani states that there is, and we are truly Nothing(This is the simple Truth), the anhad naad is symbolic of this Truth- it is a Symbolic reflection of the frequency of the Silence of Nothing from which we all came...

You need to relax and listen to this Frequency of Silence(naad/naam/Satnaam the mahamantra of Sat i,e Truth i.e God) with no thought and no wisdom but in silent acceptance- without searching- without requirment nor necessity- satnaam pervades across the entire creation..

The key is to let go- and let the silence of smaadh take over, once we allow it (truly and in simplicity) we can then begin to recognise the reality of our ownself and the universe around us.

We never assess where we are as spiritual beings- we know nothing- only he is a knower (this is a pyschology of a simplistic mind).
A spiritual mind is a silenced mind- a mind without countless wondering is a mind without countless expectations and assessments of how things should be and turn out/ even feel.
If we have guessed or estimated how an experience should take shape or form- we will never recognise it for it didnt match our pre-conceived perception.

We should be in complete acceptance at all time of karma with Nirvair and Nirbhoa- to be in complete acceptance of the universe and the creation of there actions of how they live regardless of being spiritual or not- for the universe is in a state it deserves(karam/hukam)
Regardless of all the downfalls/pain in life we can still accept it all as Truth- to then never react in anger, or spite, or jealousy, envy, ridicule and disrespect- as God is Truth.

When a soul has disregarded himself as nothing, lives at the feet of others (neechai ka neech)- on finding the death of one self (into true acceptance of God being their keeper)- then the soul is an unbreakable state refered to as Atal Awastha And the emotion is Sat Chit Anand.

God Bless you.

Return to The Guru's Path