Why is there confussion over eating meat?

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.

Re: Why is there confussion over eating meat?

Postby sajjansingh » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 pm

Please search on this topic at old forum http://fateh.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discus ... f/by+Topic ... This topic has been discussed already. I agree with moderators and I withdraw myself from this discussion. It's just waste of time for me personally.
sajjansingh
Active Forum User

Postby MONA_SIKH » Wed May 19, 2010 11:05 pm

THANX SAJJANSINGH JI,
FOR POSTING THE LINK TO THE PREVIOUS DISSCUSSIONS I FOUND A GOOD AND RATHER COUNTERBALANCED ARGUMENT ON http://fateh.sikhnet.com/sikhnet/discus ... enDocument THIS LINK. ANYBODY INTERESTED MIGHT LIKE TO HAVE A LOOK. THANX
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby charanpreet » Tue May 25, 2010 9:48 am

ਸਲੋਕ ਮਃ ੧ ॥
Shalok, First Mehl:

ਪਹਿਲਾਂ ਮਾਸਹੁ ਨਿੰਮਿਆ ਮਾਸੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਵਾਸੁ ॥
First, the mortal is conceived in the flesh, and then he dwells in the flesh.

ਜੀਉ ਪਾਇ ਮਾਸੁ ਮੁਹਿ ਮਿਲਿਆ ਹਡੁ ਚੰਮੁ ਤਨੁ ਮਾਸੁ ॥
When he comes alive, his mouth takes flesh; his bones, skin and body are flesh.

ਮਾਸਹੁ ਬਾਹਰਿ ਕਢਿਆ ਮੰਮਾ ਮਾਸੁ ਗਿਰਾਸੁ ॥
He comes out of the womb of flesh, and takes a mouthful of flesh at the breast.

ਮੁਹੁ ਮਾਸੈ ਕਾ ਜੀਭ ਮਾਸੈ ਕੀ ਮਾਸੈ ਅੰਦਰਿ ਸਾਸੁ ॥
His mouth is flesh, his tongue is flesh; his breath is in the flesh.

ਵਡਾ ਹੋਆ ਵੀਆਹਿਆ ਘਰਿ ਲੈ ਆਇਆ ਮਾਸੁ ॥
He grows up and is married, and brings his wife of flesh into his home.

ਮਾਸਹੁ ਹੀ ਮਾਸੁ ਊਪਜੈ ਮਾਸਹੁ ਸਭੋ ਸਾਕੁ ॥
Flesh is produced from flesh; all relatives are made of flesh.

ਸਤਿਗੁਰਿ ਮਿਲਿਐ ਹੁਕਮੁ ਬੁਝੀਐ ਤਾਂ ਕੋ ਆਵੈ ਰਾਸਿ ॥
When the mortal meets the True Guru, and realizes the Hukam of the Lord's Command, then he comes to be reformed.

ਆਪਿ ਛੁਟੇ ਨਹ ਛੂਟੀਐ ਨਾਨਕ ਬਚਨਿ ਬਿਣਾਸੁ ॥੧॥
Releasing himself, the mortal does not find release; O Nanak, through empty words, one is ruined. ||1||

Gurfathe
charanpreet
New User

Postby Guest » Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Mona Sikh,

Satnam Ji,

I cannot speak for you, but I can speak from my own experience on this topic.

A few years back I quit eating meat because of my own experiences and because scientifically it made sense to me on a religious level.

In Sikhism we believe in reincarnation. So if you follow that line of believe, then you can believe that every animal is just a soul on their path of life. Animals behave in animalistic ways, of course. Cells have cellular memory of whatever they have been through in that life. This means that if a lion kills a deer, then he does that generally with a mindset of killing, so his cells will remember that animalistic mindset. So if you were to consume that lion (just for argument's sake) then you would consume all of that anger and rage that that lion experienced when he was killing deer, and then you will exhibit that anger and rage. This may sound far-fetched, but it makes total, believable sense to me.

I have seen so many carnivorous people who said when they stopped eating meet they became calmer and achieved a greater level of peace within themselves.

I, too, experienced this one day while I was driving. I was driving my car and all of the sudden a big truck cut me off (driving in LA, so you can imagine the amount of road rage surrounding me) and I became so incredibly anger. I did the stupidest thing! I shifted down and speed off and cut the truck off right before a red light. I was so lucky that I didn't get into an accident! Imagine a giant semi trying to stop so quickly, he easily could have run me over. In the moment that I speed off I realized my anger and I was totally taken-aback. I could not believe how maliciously I was acting! It was totally animalistic instinct that caused me to act that way. Shortly after that I gave up meat, and not a day as passed since then that I have not been totally blessed for that decision.

As far as you, you have to see when that time comes for you that Guru will bless you with such an experience and such an awareness that you too will feel that meat is making it more difficult for you to achieve a peace with Him. I wish you all the best in parsing this issue.

Many blessings to you,

A loving daughter of the Guru

Postby MONA_SIKH » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:53 pm

there is no need to explain this I am pretty sure that every body agrees on this. But this was not the topic of my discussion.
We can see through out that ones who doesnot eat meat are cool minded (some might label them as coward, dishearted etc.) but punjabis are not like that infact they never were. Those who have to defend have to be aggressive and others can be vegetarians.
thanx
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:42 pm

Actually that is not true.

Those who have to defend should have a clear mind so that they can be totally focused on defending on not distracted by other things that could cause them to make a wrong move and get injured. To defend you do not need to be aggressive, you need to have courage.

Fighting for Sikhs is not about being angry and mean and pillaging villages--you know that. Fighting for Sikhs was a LAST resort! We are always taught 100% tolerance until we have been given no option but to take up the sword. To have tolerance you should be the opposite of aggression. You should be calm and peaceful so that you can tolerate people's ignorance before you slay them just because they said something, which was really a reflection upon themselves.

Do you think Guru Gobind Singh sat there being aggressive? No! He was kind and forgiving and when he had no option because everyone was being attacked, only then did he create an army to DEFEND. If he was aggressive then he would have sought out those who were causing difficulties and walked around killing anyone who said something he didn't like--what kind of people would we be if we did stupid things like that.

Take a Hukam on this if it is still not clear to you. Duality clutters your mind, and you need to be clear on the role of a Sikh before arguing points of what we should or should not do. We are defenders we are not the ones who start battles. Aggressive people thrive on seeking out battles--they are the ones who start fights. We do not start fights.

Postby MONA_SIKH » Mon Jun 07, 2010 5:28 pm

I wonder what people think when they say sikhs are defenders, we dont start, we should not act as idiots and all that.

Let me tell you one thing if sikhs were always meant to be quiet and resilient than why did the 10th Nanak allowed sikhs to wear kirpans and assembled them as an army. why was there need of so much killing which both sides (mughals and sikhs) did to each other.

The answer is 'time changes every thing' and this is no time for sikhs to be quiet. And all my thoughts are not to encourage meat eating but this is also true that just by eating dal and carrots no one can chop the heads of enemy like the great heroes did.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby Guest » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:57 pm

Firstly, the great heroes were amritdharis, they didn't eat meat; they were still able to kill people and fight wars.

Secondly, as I have already stated, the reason why there were wars and fights was because Sikhs were defending themselves. They did not go out and seek those fights. The Mughals came and attacked them, so obviously they had to develop an army to defend themselves otherwise it is likely that we wouldn't even exist today.

Blessings,

Daughter

Postby MONA_SIKH » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:38 pm

what about Banda Singh Ji everybody knows what he did to Sirhind and its people after learning about the chotey sahibzadey.

You have to be logical and think that nobody can ever do what is in the history books eating cucumbers and corn. Now dont tell me that they had those special powers like one you see in the Ramayana and Mahabhart.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby Sukhdeep_Singh » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:16 pm

MONA_SIKH wrote:what about Banda Singh Ji everybody knows what he did to Sirhind and its people after learning about the chotey sahibzadey.

You have to be logical and think that nobody can ever do what is in the history books eating cucumbers and corn. Now dont tell me that they had those special powers like one you see in the Ramayana and Mahabhart.

No offense Veer Ji but this is why you and many others are still Monay. You dont understand the power of Gurus Bani.
Shaheed Baba Deep Singh Ji use to spend many hours underground doing Sri JapJi Sahib Paath, and would only eat small amounts of dry Cholay( Garbonzo beans). We all know what kind of powerful Warrior he was.

Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji forbid his Sikhs not to go near meat and fish. Guru Sahib gave the order because he was a vegetarian himself. We all know what kind of warrior Miri Piri PaatShah was. Listen to what the greatest Sikhi Scholar has said about Sri Guru Hargobind Sahib Ji

pMij ipAwly pMj Pir CTmu Pir bYTw guru BwrI]
pa(n)j piaalae pa(n)j far shhat(h)am far bait(h)aa gur bhaaree||
(From Guru Nanak to Guru Arjan Dev) Five Pirs were there who drank from the Five cups (of Truth, Contentment, Compassion, Dharma, Discerning Wisdom), and now the Sixth great Pir is holding the Guruship.

Arjn kwieAw plitkY mUriq hirgoibMd svwrI]
arajan kaaeiaa palattikai moorath harigobi(n)dh savaaree||
Arjan (Dev) transformed himself into Hargobind and sat majestically.

clI pIVI soFIAw rUpu idKwvix vwro vwrI]
chalee peerree sodteeaa roop dhikhaavan vaaro vaaree||
Now the Sodhi lineage has started and they all will show their selves turn by turn.

dl BMjn gur sUrmw vf joDw bhu praupkwrI]
dhal bha(n)jan gur sooramaa vadd jodhhaa bahu paroupakaaree||
This Guru, the vanquisher of armies, is very brave and benevolent.
Sukhdeep_Singh
Active Forum User

PreviousNext

Return to The Guru's Path