Why is there confussion over eating meat?

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.

Why is there confussion over eating meat?

Postby MONA_SIKH » Sun May 16, 2010 7:28 pm

hello all my sikh brothers and sisters,
I just want a disscussion; if not a complete answer, just that what is a problem with the people who see other sikhs eating meat. the so called full fledged sikhs i.e. acquiring all the k's would downlook and even try to alienate and discard those sikhs who would eat meat. why is this double standards in sikhism. And all the time no one wants to discuss this openly but rather this topic is slipped under the carpet with no concrete findings. how long should sikhs wait to know what they are meant to eat and what not to eat.
Any reply,s and discussions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

Moderator Note (05/18/2010): We do not know why, but “Guru’s Path” section of this discussion forum is un-moderated. The moderators can only delete unacceptable posts. Kindly do not post in all upper case. This topic has been discussed before. Kindly learn to search the old and the new forum.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Re: Why is there confussion over eating meat?

Postby Theodorus » Mon May 17, 2010 4:31 am

MONA_SIKH ji,

I do not think it is very difficult:

1. The Rehat Maryada says (article XXIV sub.p) http://sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/section_six.html
The undermentioned four transgressions (tabooed practices) must be avoided

1. Dishonouring the hair;
2. Eating the meat of an animal slaughtered the Muslim way;
3. Cohabiting with a person other than one's spouse;
4. Using tobacco.

In the event of the commission of any of these transgressions, the transgressor must get baptised again.

2. There are other Rehats that are stricter than this, but this is, (I think) the one that Sikhs globally agreed upon. There is no harm in following a strickter one but you shouldn't impose it on others (well that is at least my opinion)

3. Because it is not always easy to find out if meat is not from an animal that is slaughtered the Muslim way and to keep on the save side it is advisable to not eat any meat.

4. In these modern times we do know that it is not environmentally sound to eat meat as it asks (much) more natural resources to produce meat than it would to produce grains, fruits or vegetables.

So conclusion:

A sikh can eat meat as he likes.
But a baptised sikh needs to be baptised again if he does so knowingly
and a non-baptized sikh should show some common sense and avoid meat also.
Theodorus
Power User

Postby icedragon » Mon May 17, 2010 4:50 am

it is nt allowed . http://www.info-sikh.com/PageM1.html
check out the hukamnama by the 6 th guru.
icedragon
Active Forum User

Postby sajjansingh » Mon May 17, 2010 12:44 pm

Sant Samaj ( Sant Community) is very strict towards not eating meat and that's why they are called Sant Samaj not Sikh Samaj... Sants in Sikhs were heavily influenced with Vedanta/Yogic philosophy and preached vegetarian lifestyle. I strongly oppose the idea of meat is sin for Sikhs. Sikhs can eat meat as long as it's not prepared as per Muslim way but it's choice not compulsion. The problem with few of the vegetarian Sikhs is they make it compulsion and attach the sin emotion to it. Please have a look at the following website to see cruel vegetarians http://www.vegetariansareevil.com/hitler.html ...

I personally avoid eating meat for health reasons. There is no need for me to eat meat for protein as vegetarian sources are available. The debate on meat issue is just nonsense. We should not make Sikh Gurus our dieticians.
sajjansingh
Active Forum User

Postby MONA_SIKH » Mon May 17, 2010 6:58 pm

sajjansingh JI,
I dont think that this disscussion is for no reason. imagine the ceremonies before marriage when the girls side would ask their boy counterparts if the boy consumes meat or not. And literally some alliances are straight forwardly refused if their preferences are based on selecting a non meat eating family. And this very situation is common within the sikhs themselves. This is the difference based on ones eating preferences which I cant understand. And the point of making Gurus our dieticians I would like to recall that it is written in the bani what to eat and what not to.
Thanx
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby MONA_SIKH » Mon May 17, 2010 7:34 pm

Theodorus JI,
THANX FOR REPLYING. THIS IS THE MOST TYPICAL ANSWER THAT YOU WOULD GET AND I DONT SAY THAT IT IS UNFAIR. BUT THE PREVIOUS DISSCUSION HAS LED US PARTED (APART FROM BAPTISED AND NON BAPTISED SIKHS) THIS IS WHAT I MEAN TO SAY AN ANOTHER PARTITION BASED ON INDIVIDUAL PREFERENCES. IS THIS RIGHT FOR SIKH UNIFICATION WHICH IS ALREADY SUFFERING BY THE HANDS OF DIRTY POLITICS.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby sajjansingh » Mon May 17, 2010 8:32 pm

Please post few verses where Gurbani becomes our dietary manual? If you have studied Gurbani then you should know that selective study of verses is not recommended? You should see the "Rahaou" part in order to understand the true meaning? I had friend who once asked me, if having "chemotherapy" for his ill grand mother was according to the teaching of Sri Guru Granth Sahib? I just felt like banging my head on the wall literally. The vegetarian group of Sikhs and meat eating group Sikhs just go on war just to prove their side right. This is the reason, I stated in my post that eating meat is given as choice but there is no compulsion. This is very simple concept to understand. It comes under the philosophy of live and let live.
sajjansingh
Active Forum User

Postby MONA_SIKH » Mon May 17, 2010 9:03 pm

SAJJAN SINGH JI,
I too would feel like banging my head on the wall with theses sort of questions. but what i asked is not amont those questions, to exist one has to eat so this should not be a fussy question. I asked a simple question. I believe that eating meat is ones individual preference. but sikhs are not even a handful if we compare to the three main religions such as christians, muslims and buddhists (which again have subdivisions among themselves) but still we have dilemmas and discussions like these.
And sajjan singh ji who ever says that this topic is not worth discussing I doubt that he is a native from punjab.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Postby Theodorus » Tue May 18, 2010 1:33 am

MONA_SIKH ji,

BUT THE PREVIOUS DISSCUSION HAS LED US PARTED (APART FROM BAPTISED AND NON BAPTISED SIKHS) THIS IS WHAT I MEAN TO SAY AN ANOTHER PARTITION BASED ON INDIVIDUAL PREFERENCES. IS THIS RIGHT FOR SIKH UNIFICATION WHICH IS ALREADY SUFFERING BY THE HANDS OF DIRTY POLITICS.

To my opinion partition is the result of disrespect for other peoples opinions or decisions. I mean I do respect sikhs who are baptized and fully live according a very strickt rehat in which meat is totally forbidden. But I also respect sikhs that do not keep kesh and eat meat and drink alcohol now and again.

I do of course let them know that I do not approve of their choises. I will not hide my opinion and I'm usually very strong in defending it too. But who am I to impose rules on others? I can very well live with people that have a different opinion then mine.

Whatever they decide to do is something between them and God. If they do not feel to have to follow rules (which they very well know) then that is up to them. The only role I can play in this is to follow the rules (I feel I have to follow) myself and persuade them to do the same (by setting example and to let them know why I think I have to follow the rules I follow).

Sikhism sees humanity as one. I also know it is human nature to categorise people but that is not the same as partition. Partition arises from disrespect and passing judgement to others. I think that in Sikhism there is only One that can pass judgement. The rehat is just mis-used by people to pass judgement on others and to create devision. I should be a guideline to yourself to measure up to, not a tool to judge others and to create devision.
Theodorus
Power User

Postby icedragon » Tue May 18, 2010 2:36 am

sajjan singh ji wrote,,Please post few verses where Gurbani becomes our dietary manual?

O human being, whatever you can see with your eyes, shall perish.
The world eats dead carcasses, living by neglect and greed. ((Pause))
Like a goblin, or a beast, they kill and eat the forbidden carcasses of meat.
So control your urges, or else you will be seized by the Lord, and thrown into the tortures of hell. SGGS Page 1103

Do not say that the Vedas, the Bible and the Koran are false.
Those who do not contemplate them are false.
You say that the One Lord is in all, so why do you kill chickens?

Kabeer, to use force is tyranny, even if you call it legal.
When your account is called for in the Court of the Lord, what will your condition be then? (187)
Kabeer, the dinner of beans and rice is excellent, if it is flavored with salt.
Who would cut his throat, to have meat with his bread? ((188))

Moderator Note (05/18/2010): We do not know why, but “Guru’s Path” section of this discussion forum is un-moderated. The moderators can only delete unacceptable posts. Kindly do not post in all upper case. This topic has been discussed before. Kindly learn to search the old and the new forum. This note is for everyone.
icedragon
Active Forum User

Next

Return to The Guru's Path