What are turbans?

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.

What are turbans?

Postby Longin-To-Be » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:02 pm

Cloth? Towels? What are they made of and how do you wrap them? Is it possible to make a make-shift one out of say maybe a towel. I'm just curious what I'd look like with one, and want to attempt to make a pseudo-turban with maybe a tower or bed cloth.

I mean this in all respect.
Longin-To-Be
New User

Re: What are turbans?

Postby Harmanpreet singhh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:28 am

you can check this video

http://in.youtube.com/watch?v=fWjzb37tkCQ

gur fateh
Harmanpreet singhh
Power User

Postby navkaur » Fri Jun 05, 2009 4:40 pm

Its Usually a 7 meter long ( very thin) Cotton cloth , The length you can adjust ( i believe , please correct me if I am wrong ) based on your preference.
You can buy them online and at Indian stores as well, but if you want I can send you a few, please provide me your address, I will be more than happy to help you out .
navkaur
Active Forum User

Postby danamorgan » Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:51 pm

I was reading the forum about the turban & I have a question for anyone who knows about it. I'm thinking about getting one. I'm concerned about whether or not it will be hot to wear one in the summer. I'm prone to having seizures if I get overheated so I have to be very careful about that.Can anyone answer my question? Thanks in advance.
Sincerely,
danamorgan
danamorgan
New User

Postby Theodorus » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:21 pm

WJKK, WJKF

I wear a turban for 2 summers now and went with it to the south of France (subtropical). I have not experienced overheating but just the opposite. When it is really hot it keeps your head cooler specially when you wear a light color.

I have to admit you do have to get use to it. That took me about 4 weeks (wearing it the whole time). But that mainly had to do with pinching of my ears in combination with my spectacles.
Theodorus
Power User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Thu Apr 21, 2011 5:28 pm

Since the sweat makes the turban moist it keeps the head cooler even in semi arid regions of North India during the summers.It also prevents the head from direct hit of the sunrays.Light coloured turbans are helpful in resisting sun stroke.
Satnam Waheguru

Sewa is a bit extra that we do for the fellow beings and we may call it 'Practical Simran'.
KamaljitSingh
Power User

Postby danamorgan » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:54 pm

Here's an update on the turban issue. I've bought a few from www.amazon.com (Their prices are cheaper) & since I'm on a fixed income I have to watch my pennies. Well anyway you guys were right about them helping you to stay cool. Now I hardly leave the house without one on! (Unless I'm with my mom that is) She's Bapticostal (Between Baptist & Pentecostal) so she doesn't understand why I'm doing this). Any suggestions on how to explain this stuff to her? Also I've been experimenting with bandanas as an alternative head covering. Is this all right? I'd certainly appreciate any feedback on this.
Sincerely,
Dana Morgan AKA Amrita Kaur
danamorgan
New User

Return to The Guru's Path