What does Naam/Amrit Ras feel like?

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.
h089
New User

What does Naam/Amrit Ras feel like?

Post by h089 »

Hello,

Long time reader, first time poster. First and foremost I'd like to request that you please excuse my ignorance as to this topic.

I feel like the experience of Naam, Amrit ras is covered in a veil of secrecy in terms of the lay person discussing the benefits of it. Gurbani tells us that our goal in life is to try and acheive this Naam, yet people do not really describe what it feels like. I also understand that this feeling may be beyond explanation. But I am wondering if people have any experiences with this state of mind and if people may attempt to encapsulate it into words. In particular,

How has your view of the world changed now, as opposed to before?

How do you respond to insults?

How do you respond to bad news?

How do you respond to good news?

What do you see when you meditate?

What does this connection with God entail?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
dalipsingh5
New User

Re: What does Naam/Amrit Ras feel like?

Post by dalipsingh5 »

SSA,
Today's hukumnama seem appropriate for this question:

English Translation:

Raag Soohee, Third Mehl, First House, Ashtapadees: One Universal Creator God. By The Grace Of The True Guru: Everything comes from the Naam, the Name of the Lord; without the True Guru, the Naam is not experienced. The Word of the Guru's Shabad is the sweetest and most sublime essence, but without tasting it, its flavor cannot be experienced. He wastes this human life in exchange for a mere shell; he does not understand his own self. But, if he becomes Gurmukh, then he comes to know the One Lord, and the disease of egotism does not afflict him. ||1|| I am a sacrifice to my Guru, who has lovingly attached me to the True Lord. Concentrating on the Word of the Shabad, the soul is illumined and enlightened. I remain absorbed in celestial ecstasy. ||1||Pause|| The Gurmukh sings the Praises of the Lord; the Gurmukh understands. The Gurmukh contemplates the Word of the Shabad. Body and soul are totally rejuvenated through the Guru; the Gurmukh's affairs are resolved in his favor. The blind self-willed manmukh acts blindly, and earns only poison in this world. Enticed by Maya, he suffers in constant pain, without the most Beloved Guru. ||2|| He alone is a selfless servant, who serves the True Guru, and walks in harmony with the True Guru's Will. The True Shabad, the Word of God, is the True Praise of God; enshrine the True Lord within your mind. The Gurmukh speaks the True Word of Gurbani, and egotism departs from within. He Himself is the Giver, and True are His actions. He proclaims the True Word of the Shabad. ||3|| The Gurmukh works, and the Gurmukh earns; the Gurmukh inspires others to chant the Naam. He is forever unattached, imbued with the Love of the True Lord, intuitively in harmony with the Guru. The self-willed manmukh always tells lies; he plants the seeds of poison, and eats only poison. He is bound and gagged by the Messenger of Death, and burnt in the fire of desire; who can save him, except the Guru? ||4|| True is that place of pilgrimage, where one bathes in the pool of Truth, and achieves self-realization as Gurmukh. The Gurmukh understands his own self. The Lord has shown that the Word of the Guru's Shabad is the sixty-eight sacred shrines of pilgrimage; bathing in it, filth is washed away. True and Immaculate is the True Word of His Shabad; no filth touches or clings to Him. True Praise, True Devotional Praise, is obtained from the Perfect Guru. ||5|| Body, mind, everything belongs to the Lord; but the evil-minded ones cannot even say this. If such is the Hukam of the Lord's Command, then one becomes pure and spotless, and the ego is taken away from within. I have intuitively tasted the Guru's Teachings, and the fire of my desire has been quenched. Attuned to the Word of the Guru's Shabad, one is naturally intoxicated, merging imperceptibly into the Lord. ||6|| The Name of the Lord is known as True, through the Love of the Beloved Guru. True Glorious Greatness is obtained from the Guru, through the Beloved True Name. The One True Lord is permeating and pervading among all; how rare is the one who contemplates this. The Lord Himself unites us in Union, and forgives us; He embellishes us with true devotional worship. ||7|| All is Truth; Truth, and Truth alone is pervading; how rare is the Gurmukh who knows this. Birth and death occur by the Hukam of His Command; the Gurmukh understands his own self. He meditates on the Naam, the Name of the Lord, and so pleases the True Guru. He receives whatever rewards he desires. O Nanak, one who eradicates self-conceit from within, has everything. ||8||1||