First steps

Spirituality, Gurbani, Naam, Bani, Bana, Simran and Seva.
jackal59
New User

First steps

Post by jackal59 »

I am interested in Sikhi, but I have no knowledge of any South Asian languages or dialects and no access to a gurdwara--the closest is 300 miles away. To me, it seems like the first steps of moving from interest to experience would be to establish the daily practice of naam japna (reading phonetically using a parallel transliterated and English-translated text) and to commit to living a disciplined life. Is there anything else that should also be among those first things?
Superstar
Active Forum User

Re: First steps

Post by Superstar »

That is a pretty good start.
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Post by Singh2000 »

Great Start. God bless you on true path.

Always think Guru is your leader not your mind. Then you can control easily lust, anger, greed, attachment and ego.

Ego is leader of these five thieves. So don't let ego comes near to you.

Thanks!
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Post by loveforsikhi »

Sounds like a great first step. Starting with doing Simran (saying Waheguru) is good too, and in terms of gurbani I think Japji Sahib is a good place to start. I think it would be useful to listen to a video of someone actually saying it correctly (example https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbkJ39xnza8 ) as you read the lines you can have an idea of whether you are pronouncing it correctly. That particular video has the english on it while he is reading, so you are less likely to get lost.
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

Thats perfect ,

Also since Gurudwara is far off to you , i suggest you reach out to the online community as and when required, Sikhnet is one good resource there are other Sikh forums as well ,

Nihal

Post by Guest »

Your having a much better start then me !! well done !!
Blue20
New User

Post by Blue20 »

jackal59 wrote:I am interested in Sikhi, but I have no knowledge of any South Asian languages or dialects and no access to a gurdwara--the closest is 300 miles away. To me, it seems like the first steps of moving from interest to experience would be to establish the daily practice of naam japna (reading phonetically using a parallel transliterated and English-translated text) and to commit to living a disciplined life. Is there anything else that should also be among those first things?
I would suggest 1. Basics of sikhi videos - unfortunately the CEO had passed away on Thursday , bhai jagraj singh ji is an amazing person who made me become more fond of sikhi. I really recommend their kathas - explanations on gurbani (literature). 2. Visiting sikh forums & reading up about sikh storie & learning gurmukhi to lead to reading guru granth sahib jis 3. Talking to sikh people 4. Having a sikhi whatsapp group to talk about sikhi n ask qz further 5.
BARNEY
New User

Post by BARNEY »

recommend you contact the online network as and when required, Sikhnet is one great asset there are other Sikh discussions too.