Should all Sikhs be vegan?

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports
mannixo
New User

Should all Sikhs be vegan?

Post by mannixo »

WJKK WJKF,

So I've been thinking about this for a long time. For all those who may not know, being vegan is when we don't eat any animal products at all, (no meat, egg, dairy) and we don't support industries or wear clothes that promote the killing of animals (leather bags, suede shoes etc...)

So if we are Sikhs, we are supposed to be compassionate right?
My main concern is that even though we are vegetarians, which is great, we still consume dairy and that can have many issues towards our health and mind. If we do not have clear minds how will we pray and truly connect with God.

Of course I am not saying that those who may eat meat or dairy can't connect properly with God, just a question.

In my opinion, I think it is the complete opposite of compassionate to support the dairy industry- especially in westernised countries where the cows are tortured and the milk they produced is genetically modified and full of mucus and things that the human body shouldn't consume. How is this okay?

Someone said to me that it is okay because the Gurus said it was and we drank milk and had butter when our religion was developed. However, this is the 21st Century and we should educate ourselves to know that cows milk is not good for us and it is definitely not good for the cows either, it can be considered very incompassionate.

As veganism is a popular topic I would really like to hear peoples views on this.
For more information you can also watch the documentaries:
Forks over Knives, Cowspiracy and gary yourofsky best speech ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

It would be great to reach out to the Sikh community about veganism, teaching us how to live our lives in a more compassionate ethical way and improving the environment and our health. Please think about this with an open mind and do some research on it too!

Thank you

WJKK WJKF

Re: Should all Sikhs be vegan?

Post by Guest »

WJKK WJKF,

I will give you my viewpoint on the subject as somebody that is a vegan sikh. As you have mentioned in your post, we have been told by our gurus to not just follow things blindly, but to think about our deeds and thoughts. When it comes to the dairy industry in the westernized world it is very obvious that it is an extremely cruel industry. I apologize for being so upfront about it, but it basically requires the rape of a female cow annually, and the child of that cow is then taken away immediately. If it is a male, it will either be raised for meat, or it may be killed in just a few weeks to be sold as a delicacy known as veal. If a female calf is born, then it is still removed from the loving embrace of its mother to grow up itself as a dairy cow. Furthermore, as I am sure you all know, the entire future of this plane is in danger due to global warming. One of the biggest contributors to this is the animal industry, including the dairy industry.

As followers of Sikhism, we are to do what we must to help those around us without being selfish. Even if we were able to find a way to only consume milk from "humanely raised" dairy cows, which is honestly impossible in the west, we are still contributing greatly to worldwide climate change. A vegan diet provides all the necessary nutrients we need while helping clear our conscious of any bad decisions we are making by investing in the cruel dairy industry.

I hope this response was somewhat helpful!

WJKK WJKF
mannixo
New User

Post by mannixo »

Sikh Gains wrote:WJKK WJKF,

I will give you my viewpoint on the subject as somebody that is a vegan sikh. As you have mentioned in your post, we have been told by our gurus to not just follow things blindly, but to think about our deeds and thoughts. When it comes to the dairy industry in the westernized world it is very obvious that it is an extremely cruel industry. I apologize for being so upfront about it, but it basically requires the rape of a female cow annually, and the child of that cow is then taken away immediately. If it is a male, it will either be raised for meat, or it may be killed in just a few weeks to be sold as a delicacy known as veal. If a female calf is born, then it is still removed from the loving embrace of its mother to grow up itself as a dairy cow. Furthermore, as I am sure you all know, the entire future of this plane is in danger due to global warming. One of the biggest contributors to this is the animal industry, including the dairy industry.

As followers of Sikhism, we are to do what we must to help those around us without being selfish. Even if we were able to find a way to only consume milk from "humanely raised" dairy cows, which is honestly impossible in the west, we are still contributing greatly to worldwide climate change. A vegan diet provides all the necessary nutrients we need while helping clear our conscious of any bad decisions we are making by investing in the cruel dairy industry.

I hope this response was somewhat helpful!

WJKK WJKF

WJKK WJKF

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your opinion.
It would be so great if we could find a way to spread this message within our community, I have tried talking to many people about this and I ensure that I talk about this with respect and care but some people are very closed minded and often disagree.

Hopefully this thread continues to grow with responses from many more people so we can become even more compassionate for our world and animals

Thanks again :D

Post by Guest »

When you say "rape" it sounds a little harsh technically in nature this would happen anyway with or without the help of humans but i agree to the point of they should not be helping them breed they should let nature take it's course. When the calf's are taken from there mothers not at birth! but when they finish feeding yes this is also wrong it is really messing with the nature system.
The world is truly going wrong in some areas
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

mannixo wrote:WJKK WJKF,

So I've been thinking about this for a long time. For all those who may not know, being vegan is when we don't eat any animal products at all, (no meat, egg, dairy) and we don't support industries or wear clothes that promote the killing of animals (leather bags, suede shoes etc...)

So if we are Sikhs, we are supposed to be compassionate right?
My main concern is that even though we are vegetarians, which is great, we still consume dairy and that can have many issues towards our health and mind. If we do not have clear minds how will we pray and truly connect with God.

Of course I am not saying that those who may eat meat or dairy can't connect properly with God, just a question.

In my opinion, I think it is the complete opposite of compassionate to support the dairy industry- especially in westernised countries where the cows are tortured and the milk they produced is genetically modified and full of mucus and things that the human body shouldn't consume. How is this okay?

Someone said to me that it is okay because the Gurus said it was and we drank milk and had butter when our religion was developed. However, this is the 21st Century and we should educate ourselves to know that cows milk is not good for us and it is definitely not good for the cows either, it can be considered very incompassionate.

As veganism is a popular topic I would really like to hear peoples views on this.
For more information you can also watch the documentaries:
Forks over Knives, Cowspiracy and gary yourofsky best speech ever https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=es6U00LMmC4

It would be great to reach out to the Sikh community about veganism, teaching us how to live our lives in a more compassionate ethical way and improving the environment and our health. Please think about this with an open mind and do some research on it too!

Thank you

WJKK WJKF
Compassion is tricky, convoluted and a subjective thing, the most layman acceptable form is about stopping "direct physical pain" or harm, being vegan is one such form, obviously with presumption that plant life forms do not feel physical pain.

Compassion in Sikhi is not just about physical pain.

Nihal
Skillosacv
New User

Post by Skillosacv »

Where can I find more information on this channel