Hernias and Kriyas

Diet, Nutrition, Physical Health, Vegetarian Lifestyle, Disease, Healing, Care, Body care, Exercise, Recipes, Dancing and Sports
fren285
New User

Hernias and Kriyas

Post by fren285 »

Sat Nam,

I have recently began a Kundalini Kriya and Sadhana practice. I have had a small umbilical hernia for the last 10 years or so (only recently discovered). After doing the morning stretch in bed and also the Sat Kriya and Breath of Fire daily I have appeared to have really expanded this hernia to a 7 or 8 inch knot running from the lower rib cage to just below the belly button. While mantra, prayer and gentle stretching kriyas are not likely to effect the hernia negatively, there are a number that likely will, including leg lifts and perhaps breath of fire, sat kriya, etc.

My questions are if anyone has had experience with a hernia while doing kriyas, what effect a hernia generally has on practice, both before and after a possible surgery (i.e. recovery time and future limitations on exercises). I am looking at getting a non-mesh surgery as I have heard it is the healthiest kind of repair for tears in the abdominal wall, but would also like some feedback from others who might point me to more Holistic methods or possible alternatives. Either way, I need to find out more about how Kundalini (and yoga in general) affect hernias, both in recovery and creating them and what healthy alternatives there are for treating them (and how yoga can continue to be a vital part of my overall health).

Thanks and blessings,

Doug
AS Khalsa
Power User

Re: Hernias and Kriyas

Post by AS Khalsa »

Doug, I'm afraid this isn't be the best forum on which to ask that question. Though many Sikh brothers and sisters do practice Kundalini Yoga, it doesn't have that much to do with their following Sikhism. This forum, though affiliated with 3HO, is for the purpose of discussing matters pertaining to the Sikh religion.

This forum may be more what you're looking for:
http://www.yogaforums.com/

Moderator Note: Try this site http://www.3ho.org/kundalini-yoga
fren285
New User

Post by fren285 »

Ok, thank you both for the help and clarifications.

Blessings,

Doug

Post by Guest »

Hi there! You had better to read inrofmation below http://hernia-treatment.net/symptoms-re ... -treatment. It helps me a lot, the cattegory contains the most important information and usefull advices.
fren285
New User

Post by fren285 »

Thank you, all good information. I was trying a comfrey press recommended by a naturopath for a while which was difficult to apply, difficult to not over exert either thru work or normal activities and was not all that cheap. It also cost more than implied.... almost five hundred dollars with basically no effect in the "average" healing time he quoted.
The article did not talk about non mesh surgery or the role yoga plays in exasperating hernias or healing them, yet was still useful in describing what they are.
The longer bulge above the belly button is not a hernia as I thought, but apparently Diastis Styosis (or something like that), basically a stretching and bulging of that muscle due to overweight or being pregnant. It is non threatening and can be returned to normal with proper exercise. Leg lifts are a definite no no if you want to heal it...
Thanks again for the link...