Is a gurudwara wedding legal

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru
guri070555
New User

Is a gurudwara wedding legal

Post by guri070555 »

I need some advise. About six months ago my fiancee and myself went to darbar sahib and when we got there he asked the bhaiji to say ardas for us to get married. He promised that when we got back he would marry me leagally. Since then I have moved in with him and because of our conservative culture told everyone that we are married because I believed and trusted that he would marry me. Six months later he now says that he can not legally wed me. I am torn because I feel I am married to him and do love him. But how can I stay there knowing he will never marry me legally( he has stated that to me already). Now he says that either I can live there without getting married to him or leave.. I am 52 years old and was divorced from my husband of 26 years when I met this man about four years ago.. I dont know hat to tell my children.. I am so ashamed.. I thought I was married in the eyes of Vaheguru and believed him. All I have is some pictures . I am so confused.. Please can somoene help..
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Re: Is a gurudwara wedding legal

Post by manvir singh khalsa »

Indeed your situation is somewhat confusing.

Depending on which nation you live in, marriage is considered a civil partnership that has to be registered in courts. This is for legal and paperwork reasons. This is not marriage, but a legal and identifiable act that is encouraged for financial, government reasons.

Marriage for a Sikh is the act of being blessed and taking vows in front of the Guru. This is called Anand Karaj. As far as winning the popularity contest goes, the only one that matters is completing Anand Karaj. This is a spiritual union, and an institution that blesses a couple to live, have children, and grow old together with the ultimate task of meeting their True Beloved.

The question is what are you attempting to do, get legal court marriage or Spiritual marriage?
Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings.
http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/
paul120
New User

Post by paul120 »

Why not?? Gurudwara wedding should always be legal..
singhbj
Power User

Post by singhbj »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh

Just to clarify.

Gurudwara weddings are legal when they are conducted by Granthi ji and the Keertani ji's following the Anand Karaj Maryada. After the Anand Karaj, a Gurudwara official takes signatures of the Bride & the Groom plus of two witness. Generally the witness are parents of the couple. Based on this procedure one gets a wedding certificate in India.

Otherwise wedding is not legal and unrecognised in the society.

Waheguru ji ka khalsa
Waheguru ji ki fateh