divorce

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

divorce

Post by Guest »

Is divorce allowed in Sikhi???
swarn bains
Power User

Re: divorce

Post by swarn bains »

yes; but if u listen to the gianis then no. but divorce in sikhism is the same as the christians

Post by Guest »

thanks Swarn Bains ji. You are not very clear though. I think I have my answer.
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

SSA Mandip Ji,

Divorce is more of a personal legal instrument and in between 2 people, if its allowed or not would come into picture if both the parties believe in teachings of Sikhism and its Guru's.

In my opinion Sikhism doesn't recommend divorce and that's nothing to do with being old fashioned or anything , its just that emphasis is more on the creator instead of constantly making and breaking family relationships.

Nowadays most divorces are not due to physical or mental harassment, infact very few are because of such scenarios, they are mostly due to useless reason i.e. "irreconcilable differences". I think most people have divorce simple coz they have an option, Science and Experiments do suggest that people would have been happy in those "irreconcilable differences" marriage .

I think in your situation(i have read your other posts), there is not much one can do if the other party is not interested in maintaining a relationship. I would suggest you talk to your elders\friends (just to get an objective view on your relationship) and if the decision comes to divorce, take it without any feeling of guilt or wrong doing.

-Nihal

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your reply Nihal Singh Ji.

WJKK, WJKF.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Post by Romesh Kumar »

mandip1 wrote:Is divorce allowed in Sikhi???
I do not think if any 'religion' specifically allows or disallows 'divorce' between a wife and husband. This is social, cultural, personal and legal matter. Yes, some communities use to misinterpret religious norms to suit their different designs at different times for different people.
I do not know what recently passed Anand Marriage Act in India specifically states about it but law of lands of democratic countries allow divorce of Sikh couples.
As a side note (my personal views) divorce must be avoided as much as possible. This life is very short to waste in immaterial issues and secondly our Punjabi/Indian culture looks down at divorced females regardless of the country they are living in.