Marriage Allowed with...

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru
zindabad
New User

Marriage Allowed with...

Post by zindabad »

Hello i have a guestion about a marriage.

I love a girl, and we both live in england. But my mum and her dad have the same surname. Their parents are not originally from the same part of india though and surnames are quite common

Is it allowed in our culture and sikhi to marry in this situation.

I dont know anything about this thing. I am confused.

Some people have said yes some people have told me no.
suji singh
Power User

Re: Marriage Allowed with...

Post by suji singh »

There is no cultural, religious, or social rule or law preventing you from marrying this girl. She is not blood related to you so no biological DNA related issues. In Punjab, a marriage between a couple from the same village is not sociallly acceptable/allowed, however, a couple from the same city often marry without societal repercussions. The main question that you need to adress is: Do you really love her enough to marry her and spend the rest of my life with her? If your answer is Yes, look no further. However, if you are undecided, run! Hoping this helps.
navj0t
Active Forum User

Post by navj0t »

you yourself say that surname is quite common but you are not related. i know of such marriages happening and no one objected. it might just look abit odd when written out on the wedding invites thats all!

Guru ka Kripa
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Post by manvir singh khalsa »

Ji,

There are millions of Singh's, and millions of Kaur's,

So long as blood-lines do not mix, there is only a relic of problem

As, most individuals know the jilla/village/town from where the others ancestry begins eg. Sri Nagar Wale

Gurfateh
Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings.
http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/
PCJ
Power User

Post by PCJ »

zindabad wrote: I love a girl, and we both live in england. But my mum and her dad have the same surname. Their parents are not originally from the same part of india though and surnames are quite common
Even though they are not from the same area, in some situations, they might be of the same background. Generally, the a surname come from one village and spreads to different villages, even though it may have happened many generations ago.
zindabad wrote: Is it allowed in our culture and sikhi to marry in this situation.
I think it's more of a cultural issue than religious. There are many people who don't do it.
zindabad wrote: I dont know anything about this thing. I am confused.

Some people have said yes some people have told me no.
I personally wouldn't. Anybody who is of same surname as me, same surname as my mother's or grandmother's maiden surname, same surname as cousin's or sister's married surname or anybody else close to me is automatically my sister. So, there is no question. I wouldn't marry her.

You may want to search the internet. There is information available regarding how many generations does it take to minimize any genetic risk. As far as I know it took a gap of 5-6 generations...
Religion is a rebellious son of mother spirituality and religious fanatics are the worst offenders (Patits).

Religious fanatics are allergic to their own medicine.
mauiweddings4u
New User

Post by mauiweddings4u »

Hey dude,,

If you are really loving that girl with a true heart then I dont think surname is a barrier in case of you. True love happens without seeing anyone's religion, anyone's surname or anyone's region. So i suggest you to just go and marry your love.

Thanks..

---------------------------------------