Which Religion a child should follow

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

Which Religion a child should follow

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:10 am

Hi All,

I have a question,In case of inter-religion marriage, if one parent is sikh and other is non-sikh.Which religion there child should follow?

Thanks

Re: Which Religion a child should follow

Postby Singh2000 » Mon Aug 24, 2015 5:03 pm

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh

Sikh religion is religion of experience of great values as per Guru’s teaching like love, selfless, honesty, discipline, freedom, meditation, peace, happiness, health, devotion, sacrifices, equality, patience, tolerance, courage and helps others etc.

If someone understands the meaning of these values and wants to raise their kid’s with these values then become Sikh or learner of Guru’s teaching. A true Guru’s Sikh is that who can stand for these values, otherwise adopt any religion doesn’t matter.

Thanks!
Singh2000
Active Forum User

Postby Biriabc » Wed Aug 26, 2015 3:05 pm

Singh2000 wrote:Sikh religion is religion of experience of great values as per Guru’s teaching like love, selfless, honesty, discipline, freedom, meditation, peace, happiness, health, devotion, sacrifices, equality, patience, tolerance, courage and helps others etc

As mentioned by Singh2000 to be a Gursikh, is to be a good human being. As parents these are the most important aspects one can instil in one's child.

I personally feel that it is important in an interfaith marriage to be tolerant and accepting to both faiths. A child should not be coerced by one parent or the other to follow their own faith [this includes grandparents and other members of the family in the equation as well]. When the child is old enough to understand, he or she can then make up their mind.

I hope the query you have posed is resolved without any difficulty.
Biriabc
Active Forum User

Postby rjosan » Mon May 16, 2016 6:22 pm

In my life, I have seen the religion of the child being determined by the more dominant parent or the parent who is more religious or more emotional about religion. Like if one partner is liberal and one orthodox and they belong to different religions, the child will be of same religion as the orthodox parent. I have seen it where a couple was a Sikh woman married to a Hindu gentleman and their son is an orthodox turban wearing Sikh although his father is a clean shaven Hindu.
rjosan
New User

Postby Guest » Wed May 18, 2016 1:06 am

Guest wrote:Hi All,

I have a question,In case of inter-religion marriage, if one parent is sikh and other is non-sikh.Which religion there child should follow?

Thanks

I think usually the kid accepts dad's religion

Postby sbajwa » Tue Aug 02, 2016 3:22 pm

Siklhi is not a "Religion" religion is translated as "Sampardaya" or "code to follow".

Sikhi is a Dharam (not translated to Religion) which means "Doing the righteous deed"

Sikhi is the most modern Dharam and thus naturally ideal for a child to follow!
sbajwa
New User

Return to Relationships