Love marriage out of Caste.

Family, love, marriage, children and the relationship of ourselves to our own soul and to the Guru

Love marriage out of Caste.

Postby Guest » Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:14 pm

Hello. I needed some advice. I am going to make this long story short. I am
27 year old female. I have been dating my boyfriend for 4 years. Both of
our families knew everything about us. I had started to meet his family on
a regular bases. We all loved eachother and knew everyone would be okay
with us getting married. When our families met, my parents basically said
NO indirectly due to his caste being lower. I am a Darji and he is a Majbi sikh.
Neither of us care about this caste nonsense and we are both well educated
and love each other. I don't know if leaving my family would be the right
thing. I am trying to still convince my family as they are still saying no. me and him are still dating
and hoping for the best. His family loves me very much. I know I will be
happy in the long run with him and I know that I wouldn't ever marry
another man. We have shared everything together and we both want this. Can
you guys help with some advice. The main problem is my parents are highly educated but are still stick with the caste system? Any way to break this? In America, is it really a big issue for caste?

Re: Love marriage out of Caste.

Postby cloud » Mon Apr 13, 2015 6:57 am

Here is some advice:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMR0r_DMSRE

I can think of 2 things, why you're parents doesn't agree to your marriage.

1: If people with 2 diffrent castes does an intercast marriage toghather, thier future children becomes shurukas. Casteless. Niether Majbi nor Darji castes will accept your children.

2: Even if a part of your family lives in America, for most people in your situations the big family still resides in India with thier values.

However. For the future Sikh Nation, if we work hard for our goals. These issue won't become a problem in the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7UmkHTBtOE

If you have any further questions, please ask.
/Cloud
cloud
New User

Postby Guest » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:38 pm

sat shiri akaal everyone..my name is ammy.i am belong to Punjabi jatt caste,i fall love in with my nephew.both our families are against us,anyone can tell me is our love in a forbidden relationship? IS we are able to get marriage to each other under sikhi or not?.
we chk hindu act 1954,there is nothing about our relationship.as we all knw sm relationship is not accepted by community or society or family ?is our relationship under this or not?pls answer me I don't want to do anything wrong

Postby suji singh » Fri Sep 04, 2015 11:25 pm

Caste system is part of Punjabi culture, practiced by most Sikhs. Upfront, I do not believe in it even though I have to accept it as an integral part of the community.

First, as a 27 year old you should be able to pick your own life partner. As per Guru Nanak's Bani, a marriage between a Darji and Majhbi is blessed. However, Darji family will be next to impossible to accept this union.

Second, Ammy, marrying your own nephew is a big NO NO in Punjabi community. Genetics do not support this marriage either except when your nephew is far removed in the family tree.
suji singh
Power User

Postby swarn bains » Sat Sep 05, 2015 1:50 pm

in sikh families. it does not matter who you marry. most of the rich sikhs marry their sons and daughters among themselves. there are lot of examples which i do not want to divulge. but if u are a poor family then people do object to it. make your own decision
swarn bains
Power User

Postby Guest » Sun Sep 06, 2015 5:32 am

Don't leave them
cozz A Relationship means nothing if you have to sacrifice a relationship over the other....

here's what i think you can try...
first of all make a soothing atmosphere before you start the conversation...
you're parents won't understand a single thing if they are not calm nd happy enough to listen to what u r saying..
:)

start from the basics

who started our Religion Gurunanak Dev Ji. he said do not discriminte people on da basis of caste than politely just say we have faith in Gurunanak dev ji...

Then tell them about our 10 Guru's they have never been described on the basis of their cast even though they belong to different families...

than the final question u need to ask them
is
Do they believe in Gurugranth Sahib Ji
for sure they will say yes
that's the answer of ur question...
our Sikhism doesn't support caste System Nor we had it before it's just humans who have divided us in diff categories...

nd our Religion is not ruled by persons
we only follow what's written in the Gurugranth Sahib Ji..

hope dis helps
good luck

Return to Relationships