parikarma

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

parikarma

Postby Guest » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:43 am

what is the importance to doing parikarma around shri guru garanth sahib ji maharaj

Re: parikarma

Postby swarn bains » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:43 pm

it has no meaning
swarn bains
Power User

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:52 pm

ssa,

even bowing to sggs without reading , understanding and imbibing in our life is an exercise in futility.

scout.

Postby NSJ » Mon Apr 01, 2013 10:58 am

sikh scout wrote:ssa,

even bowing to sggs without reading , understanding and imbibing in our life is an exercise in futility.

scout.

In my opinion humility is the foundation of a spiritual journey; bowing to SGGS is an act of humility. When you do it you are laying that foundation. How can it possibly be futile?
NSJ
NSJ
Active Forum User

Postby Guest » Wed Apr 03, 2013 11:13 am

nsj ,
ssa,

- people have been ' bowing ' to sggs with great "humility" for their whole life for 20 to 70 - or even more
years, without ever understanding it , leave aside imbibing it in their life !!

- unless you build on a foundation, their million ' bowings ' are worthless and cannot be called a " spiritual journey " !!

- our pujaris bow to sggs more times per day than a 'faithful' sikh who ritualistically visits his 'temple' once a day !

- are these commercial raagis, pathis, granthis and sewadars , or all others connected to your local gurdwara management even a shade better than ordinary sikhs like you and me ?

scout.

Postby Bundha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 9:55 am

Bowing to your Guru is never worthless, ever!

You may or may not follow what Guru Ji says, obviously it is prefrable that you do, but bowing to your Guru will always reap rewards maybe not in this life but in the next.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Bundha » Fri Apr 05, 2013 10:01 am

Once Guru Amar Das Ji was asked should we recite bani even if we do not understand it.
Guru Ji said yes. Firstly it is the hukam of your Guru to recite bani so hukam must be followed,
but just like ghee is poured into a pot when the ghee is poured out some is always left behind. In the same way
when we recite bani, even if we don not understand it, it still has a positive effect on our atma. In the same way
bowing to your Guru is never futile, who knows one day Guru may take pity on us and bless us with naam bani,
then was bowing worthless?
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Manjyot1537 » Tue Aug 14, 2018 9:54 pm

Waheguru Ji ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji ki Fateh

Though it is an old post. Thought of giving my views for those who are also looking for an answer on this topic.

Firstly, on Parikarma. It is done more to show your love for guru. In Gurmukhi we call it Varna or Guru to Varna. You might have seen in punjabi weddings, where elders give you money after rotating it around your head. What it means is that Money is not important when it comes to you and I am giving it away for you. Similarly, when you do Parikarma (while knowing why you are doing it, or else you just following the herd), you are showing your love for guru and saying, My life is for my guru and I put my mind (Man/mat) in guru's feet.
Manjyot1537
New User

Postby Romesh Kumar » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:11 am

It is simply a cultural custom and tradition denoting respect and complete surrender.
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Postby gurmail » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:24 am

Classic case of too close to the coal face, or can't see the wood from the trees. Simply put:-
" Guru Granth ji manio pargat guran ki deh"
gurmail
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Sikhi Discussion