Vaishaki Celebrations

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Vaishaki Celebrations

Postby dhillot » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:54 pm

Sat Shri Akal,
I might be wrong but I think that there should be Vaishaki celebrations in Vaishaki parties. There is be Diwali parties, Ifftar parties and Christmas parties why not we have one festival which we can celebtrate as party.

I mean that there should be family get together and cook many type of punjabi dishes. We can invite people from different communities and different religion at our home and serve punjabi vegeraterian foods with punjabi music. So other people will learn about our religion, culture and festival. I think that new generation will also like this.
dhillot
New User

Re: Vaishaki Celebrations

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:42 am

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

Many people do feel that spirituality has vanished from Diwali (gambling, too much noise and pollution and materialistic) and Xmas too is more about gifts and partying nowadays. Please do not get me wrong, this is what one gets to see. I'm sure there are many Hindus and Christians who celebrate these festivals spiritually.

Luckily Sikhs still have spirituality in their religious celebrations. Starts with Nagar Kirtan and then Kirtan and Katha programmes, Langar and plenty of Sewa.

I'm sure there is no problem if you get together with family and friends and celebrating Baisakhi , of course after celebrating Baisakhi with Sangath in Guru Ghar. I'm sure you will agree with me that if one celebrating a holy day , though privately,
one would keep 'maryada' in the celebrations.

Guru Rakha,

Vikramjit Singh
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Re: Vaishaki Celebrations

Postby swarn bains » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:57 pm

i have watched for years. the first thing on baisakhi is to celebrate the saajna of sikhs. but do not forget that originally baisakhi is a festival of thanks giving in india. this is celebrated by muslims hindus and sikhs alike. later on when khalsa was created, it has taken somewhat different path, but for a jat it used to be party and celebration and now also it is the same except in the morning time when everyone clebrates baisakhi in gurdwara or some go to Harminder sahib to celebrate. otherwise it is a partying festival. you may not be knowing but go and celebrate it the way u want.
swarn bains
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion