sikh viewpoint on karmic account

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

sikh viewpoint on karmic account

Postby neetu11 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:37 am

sat sri akal friends;
these days we hear so much about karmic chakra.Is there room for such a thought in sikhism?
neetu11
New User

Re: sikh viewpoint on karmic account

Postby AS Khalsa » Fri Sep 16, 2011 10:58 am

neetu11 wrote:sat sri akal friends;
these days we hear so much about karmic chakra.Is there room for such a thought in sikhism?

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
All this yogic chakra stuff has nothing to do with Sikhism. If it was important or necessary for attaining Mukhti, then Guru Granth Sahib Ji would undoubtedly have had more to say about it. In fact, SGGSJ states that Yoga is not necessary for attaining Mukhti, and does not bring about the same qualities of Sat, Santokh, Daya, Nimrata etc that Naam Jap does. It can be used for excercise etc, but even in ancient Hindu texts, even the most ascetic, austere, master yogis have been known to succumb to lust and anger, such as Viswamitra in the Ramayan, who was known for cursing people in all sorts of macabre ways who interrupted his yoga. By all means, perform Yoga as excercise or something, but belief that it can bring some spiritual prowess is exactly what Guru Nanak denounced when he argued with the Yogis at Achal.

Nevertheless, I get a lot of my friends mixing their yoga and their Sikhi together, telling me that Sikhs have a Joora to cover the chakra on the top of the head, and that men grow beards to cover a moon chakra or something. This has never been a reason for Sikhs growing hair - it is not backed up by any Bani. Sikhs grow kes because it is the form God has given us - I for one certainly don't grow it to regulate energy flow.

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
AS Khalsa
Active Forum User

Re: sikh viewpoint on karmic account

Postby swarn bains » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:10 pm

it is unfortunate that somehow the yoga is starting to get into sikhism. sggs is a divine book. it does not encourage yoga in it. it is all mental to be spiritual. any physical activity does not affect the mind or the soul. It should not be included in sikhism
swarn bains
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion