How to handle the Banis of the Guru?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

How to handle the Banis of the Guru?

Postby sikhimylife » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:16 am

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ke Fateh!

My mother during Vasakhi this year bought 2 Volumes of the Gurus bani which contains half of the Guru Granth Sahib's path in each volume, both volumes together contain the full path of the Guru Granth. We live in a small condo that features one bedroom w/ walk in closet and an office room that my mother uses for her clothes. The 2 volumes of the Guru Granth Sahib and other shorter banis of the Guru are placed on the top shelf in the walk in closet wrapped up in clean cloths/towels and a separate towel is also hung to dry our hands when handling any of the bani's. But there is an ongoing concern that me n my mother are having about the Guru's bani's being in the closet since all my clothes are hanging in there as well, I have some personal things boxed up in the corner of the closet sitting on the rug, I also have a printer and other accessories sitting on top of the closet too. The point I'm trying to make is that we are starting to feel like the Guru bani is being disrespected sitting in the closet with all these other belongings. We have no other storage place in our apartment so this is the only spot where we could lay the bani's. I wish I could have a separate walk in closet where I could lay the Guru's bani and the full Guru Granth Sahibs path and decorate the closet with a Sikhi theme but we don't. First my mother was saying since it says Guru Granth Sahib on the volumes that its has the Jot of the Guru, but according to my understanding Guru Granth Sahib that contains the Jot/light can only be obtained from India right? In full Gurmukhi and in one volume? We came to the conclusion that if the volumes of Guru Sahib are being disrespected then we will just donate them to the local Gurdwara. I would just like to have the cyber sangats opinion on this as well and I will do as told. Because I feel that since we have no other option its ok to place the Gurus volumes in the closet (unless it was the Guru Granth Sahib itself in one volume) because my mom was actually very excited to read the whole bani of the Granth, I mean guru Sahib is all knowing/understanding right? Comments appreciated :)

Bhul Chuk Maaf, Satnam!!!
sikhimylife
New User

Re: How to handle the Banis of the Guru?

Postby Bundha » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:30 am

Sikhimylife,

You will have as many differing views here as posters, you will get all flavours of the spectrum and get very confused.

Why do you not go to the Gurdwara and ask a learned person/giani and take advice there ?
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby Yuktanand Singh » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:24 am

This one should not be so difficult. The only rules I know of are, that we treat Guru Granth Sahib as if it was Guru’s body, treat the bani with respect, and avoid superstition. A single volume of Guru Granth Sahib in Gurmukhi, regardless of its origin, regardless of any errors in the printing or word separation, should be treated as Guru’s own body.

The divided volumes are for our convenience because they need not be treated in the same manner. We still cover our head remove the shoes and wash hands when we read the bani. This does not change with the size of a volume we read. These rules are further relaxed when we read the bani on a computer screen.

All bani contains the same jyot.

The answer is easy when we remember that, the respect that we express to Guru Granth Sahib and to the bani is, for our own spiritual benefit. Until we are able to feel this benefit, it may appear as a ritual to us. Disrespect makes no difference to the Guru and thus, we must avoid superstition. Guru does not get angry or hold grudges. I am sure Guru understands when we are helpless due to lack of space.

I would keep them wrapped, on a high shelf. Avoid putting shoes, worn clothes etc. in the same closet. If this was not possible then, put them in a box or keep them outside (wrapped) on a shelf or a table.
Yuktanand Singh
Active Forum User

Postby swarn bains » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:12 pm

according to sikh rehat mariada. the sections of guru granth sahib can be kept in the closet with respect and read with respect. There is no problem what you are doing according to the circumstances. Keep it with respect and read it slowly and learn something. Learning is the purpose and the respect is not in the rituals but in the mind.
swarn bains
New User

Postby David Singh » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:04 am

Yuktanand Singh wrote:These rules are further relaxed when we read the bani on a computer screen.

How should we handle Gurbani stored in electronic format on tapes CD's DVD's computer drives and the like, which are capable of storing the complete Bani of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. And how to dispose of old tapes CD's etc? Any thoughts would be appreciated.
David Singh
Active Forum User

Postby kjsinghhyd » Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:04 am

@sikhimylife ji

If you feel you can respect Guru Sahib in a better way, go ahead!
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Postby Yuktanand Singh » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:28 pm

David Singh wrote: How should we handle Gurbani stored in electronic format on tapes CD's DVD's computer drives and the like, which are capable of storing the complete Bani of Sri Guru Granth Sahib Ji. And how to dispose of old tapes CD's etc?

I would be just a little extra careful to protect the hard drives and the media, keep a backup copy, and not throw them in the garbage without first making them unreadable by cutting up a CD/DVD or erasing a hard drive. Tapes are becoming obsolete. I would convert them to a CD or MP3 and then erase or destroy them (pull the tape out of cassette) before disposing them.

Yuktanand Singh
Mi USA
Yuktanand Singh
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion