Why were there no women gurus

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Why were there no women gurus

Postby parminder kaur » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:08 am

I was in discussion with some sikh members and a young girl asked me this question. "Why are there no women Gurus, if Sikhism treats men/women equally?"

Parminder
parminder kaur
New User

Re: Why were there no women gurus

Postby Mr. 5ingh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:21 am

It is an excellent question which left me speechless too.....
Mr. 5ingh
Active Forum User

Postby manvir singh khalsa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:51 am

Here is an excellent portrayal of the role of Sikh Women in history:
http://www.mrsikhnet.com/index.php/2007 ... ind-singh/

Additionally, after the 3rd Guru passing on Guruship to 4th Guru all following Guruship remained within the family. THere is a sakhi that states it was the request of one of the daughter's of the 3rd Guru. The fact is that All of the Guru's after the 4th Guru had only Son's.

Now people can blame inequality, but the facts of the matter are there is a 50/50 chance of a boy or girl being born, either XX, or XY. It just so happens that the Guruship remained in one house, one family at the request of 1 woman, and it just so happens that in passing the lineage of the Guru occurred due to the fact that only son's were born in this family.

Additionally, other's will point out the argument that due to the role of the Guru having to commit to the people of that time, it would have been difficult for a woman to be Guru and to have kids, meaning that up to over a year at a time would be taken out of Guruship duties. But again, the situation never arose because daughter's were not born.

In my opinion, the Sakhi of the 3rd Guru is the Truth, in that a woman (daughter of 3rd Guru) requested the Guruship to remain in the family, and subsequently son's were born and due to the request the Guruship was passed in this manner. So in actual fact it was a woman who determined the Guruship from 5th-10th Guru's.
Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings.
http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Postby vikramjit gurufateh singh » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:06 am

Fateh Ji,

It was not God's Will and so it did not happen.

Guur Rakha
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Postby manvir singh khalsa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 am

Although I accept that conclusion, as is discussed in the video above, women also had the oppurtunity to stand up when '5 heads' were called for. Again women had a place in changing destiny, thus, it is the manifestation of the human will through which God's Will has worked. And please view the video for an explanation of the important and growing role of women within Sikhism.

Today women are sprouting the seed across the world, it is important to realize that what man or woman has done in the past does not influence what YOU can do today.
Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings.
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Postby pawandeep84 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:38 am

manvir singh khalsa ji give a very valid scientific reason above

human dont have the tendency to question Akal purakh. we cant object on what he does.

tomorrow some one can ask
1. why man cant give birth to child, why the pain is suffered only by woman??
2. why were there no daughter of Guru Gobind Singh ji (as 11th guru is not the family member of Sodhi's, so Guru Gobind Singh Ji could have one daughter also)?
3. why No woman in 5 piyaras (in 1699)?
4. why a male started a Sikh religion (Guru Nanak Dev ji)?

^^^^^^^^^
there are many such irrelevant questions which don't have any existence, so stop wasting time in searching for such questions & we should try to lay more emphasis on Gurbani vichaars

So please never question the will of Akal
< ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖਾਲਸਾ, ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫਤਿਹ
PawandeeP Singh
pawandeep84
Power User

Postby lotus lion » Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:55 am

Hi,

For me the reason that there was no Female Guru was because of the prevailing attitudes of the time, some would argue they are still here, as well as the political and religious climate.

If one looks back at the History of The Sikhs, A masculine touch was needed to get us through the hard times. Killing, Raping, Purscuting, Destruction of Temples, Forced Conversions and so forth were highly prevelant. Not to say that women could not lead, just that men were better suited to direct the masses in that time frame.

Also, because of the prevailing attitudes, I believe that a Male Guru would be better recieved by the masses to teach them about Dharma.

My take on the issue,

Lotus
"Chirian to mein baaz tudaun, Gidran to mein sher banaun, Sawa lakh se ek ladaun,
Tabe Gobind Singh Naam kahaun."
lotus lion
Active Forum User

Postby manvir singh khalsa » Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:10 am

Perhaps,

Women should be encouraged by other great Sikh women of those times, there is more information here:
http://www.sikhiwiki.org/index.php/Women

However, Jesus was male, including his disciples, also Lao Tzu was male, as well as other various Spiritual leaders. Nonetheless, modern examples of women include Mother Teresa who responded when asked what it is she sees in the streets of Calcutta during her various expeditions "Everyday, I see Jesus Christ in all of his distressing disguises, I see the unfolding of God in all that I encounter, and I see it in myself as well."

What I am getting at it is so easy to see everything that is wrong, why things are the way they are or were the way they were, but it is so difficult to see the positives.

Women are strong and virtuous and Western Sikh Women are exemplary role models unto the modern Sikh persona, look towards them for inspiration and the Guru for all is the Siri Guru Granth Sahib, the Light, the vibratory connection to the Source...
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Postby PCJ » Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:15 am

Spirituality is not sexist.

But we hardly ever see a woman in-charge of a religious organization. In India, it could be because women could not dedicate themselves to serve the guru the same way men could. Women hardly ever got out the house. They generally looked after the families and did not have opportunity to go to guru's dwara to serve and follow him the same way men did.
Religion is a rebellious son of mother spirituality and religious fanatics are the worst offenders (Patits).

Religious fanatics are allergic to their own medicine.
PCJ
Power User

Postby bolehland » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:16 am

One has to see the situation before Sikhism became an organised religion. Before our 5th Master complied the Adi Granth, Kabir's bani was not sikhism. All the bhagatan ki bani was not part of sikhism. During that era which I prefer to call "in the making of sikhism", women were suppressed by both hindus and muslims. Therefore it took 10 gurus' plan to work in stages to bring about changes in the role of women. This is one site which talks extensively about suppression of women by muslims. http://www.faithfreedom.org
It is important to me that discussions remain constructive, positive and open.
bolehland
Active Forum User

Next

Return to Sikhi Discussion