Mixed race wedding at gurdwara

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
msr
New User

Mixed race wedding at gurdwara

Post by msr »

Sat Sri Akal

I have been invited to attend a wedding in which a Sikh girl is marring a Gora. This to me can be dismissed, But then I was told that the wedding would be at a Gurdwara and I felt extremely angry at this. The Gora has been living with the girl for over 11 years and he has very little knowledge of the Sikh religion, the girl in turn had turned her back to Sikhism over 15 years ago. The wedding in the Gurdwara is all the girls idea, he is just following the fact she wants the gurdwara ceremony for all the wrong reasons ie people to see her, Parents Jewelery and gifts. I do not believe that Gurdwara's should allow these weddings no matter how open a religion we have. What does everyone else think?
Manmukh
Active Forum User

Re: Mixed race wedding at gurdwara

Post by Manmukh »

There is nothing wrong if other race/religion people want to marry in Guruduwara as long as they believe or atleast have respect for SGGS ji. But in this case i agree with you that it should not be just for show off.

Kapoor khandan (Hindus) from bolllywood marry their children in gurudwara but they do believe in SGGS ji.

Manmukh
(But not for ever)
manvir singh khalsa
Power User

Post by manvir singh khalsa »

I am sure there are more individuals who are born in Sikh families that don't know the importance/significance of the Anand Karaj, however, the Guru's Gifts are for all and as saddening it is to know that marriage has become a show and an affair, we should not interfere in the Intentions of others so long as they are positive, as we do not know upon who/whom the Lord shall shower drops of Grace upon.
Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings.
http://sikhinspiredfitness.forums-free.com/
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Post by Harbhajan S. Sangha »

Accordingly to the Sikh Rehat Maryada (The Code of Sikh Conduct & Conventions),Chapter XI, Article XVIII :

- (b) A Sikh's daughter must be married to a Sikh

- (k) Persons professing faiths other than the Sikh faith cannot be joined in wedlock by the Anand Karaj ceremony.

source: http://www.sgpc.net/rehat_maryada/secti ... leven.html
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
msr
New User

Post by msr »

Thank you to all who responded.
Now i have learnt that the girl is forcing her mother to purchase gold and clothes.

I my self am disgusted in this but what are we to do with this modern society? If I speak out I am evil! If I do not what happens to the mother?
Dev
Active Forum User

Post by Dev »

I have been present at many sikh to non sikh weddings and most of the time it is a mutual agreement and the second couple have been positive in marrying a sikh and respecting it and even learning about the faith. Some even have thier children come to temple and learn punjabi school and about sikhism which I think is good..

If the case you describe is right I think this girl is doing it more for the look and as a way to show off to her friends, mainly the western ones as westerner find sikh and even indian wedding great, bride and prejudice.

One thing I would ask instead of saying gora please use westerner as we have many no indian sikhs are part of our community.

I think thier is also a ruling by Akal in regards to this.
deepshika1
New User

Post by deepshika1 »

msr wrote:Sat Sri Akal

I have been invited to attend a wedding in which a Sikh girl is marring a Gora. This to me can be dismissed, But then I was told that the wedding would be at a Gurdwara and I felt extremely angry at this. The Gora has been living with the girl for over 11 years and he has very little knowledge of the Sikh religion, the girl in turn had turned her back to Sikhism over 15 years ago. The wedding in the Gurdwara is all the girls idea, he is just following the fact she wants the gurdwara ceremony for all the wrong reasons ie people to see her, Parents Jewelery and gifts. I do not believe that Gurdwara's should allow these weddings no matter how open a religion we have. What does everyone else think?
This should not be done. Gurudwara is a holy place. [Edited]
RicktheSikh
New User

Post by RicktheSikh »

Race is not the issue, the issue is marrying in the presence of the Guru implies that the teachings in the Bank will be a key component in the union between the bride and groom. Seeing as neither party are practicing Sikhs I see why one would be opposed.