Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Re: SAD delimna to support of not to support Sikh PM

Post by Harbhajan S. Sangha »

Akalis for N-deal, but will vote against govt
11 Jul 2008, Ashish Sinha,TNN
THE TIMES OF INDIA

NEW DELHI: Coming to terms with political realities, the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has said that there is no contradiction in its supporting the nuclear deal but opposing the UPA government during a trust vote in Parliament.

The second part of the party's stand - that it would oppose the government - came on Thursday, perhaps after a careful review of its earlier support to the deal, which was also construed as the party's eight Lok Sabha members abstaining or even voting for the government.

"The deal is good because the country is facing an energy crisis. In Punjab, for instance, we cannot give six hours of electricity to the farmers every day. Industries in the state are getting closed," SAD parliamentary party leader Sukhdev Singh Dhindsa said.

"But that does not mean that we have forgotten what the Congress has done to the Sikhs. We will definitely vote against the government during a trust vote," he said, adding that a formal decision would be taken on July 15 after the meeting of the party's apex body. SAD, a religio-political party, draws inspiration from the Shiromani Gurudwara Prabhandhak Committee (SGPC).

The Akali leader said as an independent political party, SAD was free to have an independent view on the nuclear deal even if it was a part of NDA. He said their support for the deal had nothing to do with the Prime Minister being a Sikh. "The PM is a Sikh but he belongs to the Congress. We can never forgive the Congress for what it has done to the Sikhs. The PM's apology for 1984 does not make a difference to our position," Dhindsa clarified.

Reminded that Shiv Sena, also a part of NDA, had favoured Pratibha Patil as President because she is a Maharashtrian, the Akali leader said that "Maharashtirans never underwent anything like the Sikhs" and, therefore, the two cases were different.

According to SAD, the UPA government should have "solved" the nuclear deal issue much earlier without letting the situation blow into "such a massive crisis". "I personally feel that the communists have been consistent in their opposition to the deal while the SP has changed colours many times. We are getting to know that a lot of extraneous factors have driven the SP stand and it is not good," he said.
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Post by vikramjit gurufateh singh »

Fateh

I recall Akali Dal was against setting up of a Nuclear Plant to generate electricity in Punjab.

http://www.tribuneindia.com/2007/20071013/punjab1.htm
N-plant not feasible in state: Secy
Tribune News Service

Patiala, October 12
Punjab is too densely populated to have a nuclear power plant. Since no feasible place has been found to set up a nuclear power plant in the state, the government will urge the union government to give it a share of power from the nuclear power plant coming up in Rajasthan. Chief secretary of the state Ramesh Inder Singh stated this while talking to newsmen here today.

The statement of the chief secretary has once again indicated to differences among various government authorities over having a nuclear power plant in the state.

Senior ministers, including minister for cooperatives Kanwaljit Singh and minister for finance Manpreet Badal, have already expressed their views in favour of setting up a nuclear power plant in the state. The chief secretary, along with principal secretary to Chief Minister D.S. Guru, was here to inspect the procurement of paddy. Though the visit was supposed to be a surprised inspection, the district administration already had the information regarding it.

The Chief Secretary told The Tribune that till date 45 lakh metric tones of paddy had been procured in various mandis of the state. Private players had once again played a major share in procurement. They had procured 37 per cent of paddy produce arrived in the mandis till date.

He ruled out the possibility of the state government paying any bonus to farmers. The union government had already announced a bonus of Rs 50 for paddy farmers. Since all produce went to the union government, the state cannot pay a bonus, he added.
http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... ce/224325/

Nuclear power plant: Punjab govt sitting on fence

Harpreet Bajwa

Chandigarh, October 03 The Punjab Government is undecided on the idea of setting up a nuclear power plant in the state though it is not ruling it out completely. This despite the fact that the Centre has agreed to allot a plant to the state.

Sources said there has been informal discussion in this regard at various levels in the government after the Union government sought views of the state government on the setting of the plant. But the place where the plant would be set is yet to be decided.

The government might suggest three sites, but a final decision is yet to be taken. Since Punjab hardly had any major hydro-power potential and producing thermal power proved costly, a nuclear plant was a necessity.

However, the political leadership has always been divided over the issue. Former chief minister Capt Amarinder Singh was opposed to it, while the incumbent, Parkash Singh Badal, is also not favorably inclined to the idea. Cooperation Minister Capt Kanwaljit Singh and Finance Minister Manpreet Singh Badal had, however, rooted for it.

Kanwaljit had also said that if the people of Patran were against the plant, alternative sites could be explored. Though the state government has reportedly told the Union government "half-heartedly" that it wants to have a nuclear plant, no one seems keen on pursuing the proposal in earnest. The government only wants to keep its options open, said insiders.

An official said, "There is a strong case for Punjab to tap nuclear energy to meet the growing demand for power. The state's requirement for energy is 9,000 mws and the demand grows 10 per cent annually, but it produces only 4,300 mws. The shortage hits agricultural and industrial production and hinders the flow of private investment to the state. Hydroelectric potential within the state is limited. Due to alleged differences with Himachal Pradesh, it cannot tap the latter's huge hydro potential. Haryana is going ahead with its own nuclear power plant in Fatehabad district. The Punjab government also plans to invest in Rajasthan's upcoming nuclear power plant and wants 49 per cent equity in it."

The issue has been hanging fire for a long time. The department of atomic energy had earlier selected a site near Patran in Patiala district. However, as the proposal invited stiff resistance from the locals, the previous state government withdrew the idea.

In 2001, a proposal to build a nuclear plant at Drauli village in Patiala had generated protest from people of the region, with as many as 25 panchayats deciding to fight against any such proposal. The proposal was then mooted by the Punjab State Electricity Board (PSEB).

And Badal, who was the CM then too, had announced that no nuclear plant would be established at Drauli village. "Pollution and radiation fears should be dispelled first," said the official.
Punjab has a huge power deficit and Nuclear Power is the answer. But when Akali Dal came to power Badals were against a Nuclear Plant being set up in Punjab. I understand they were open to setting up of a Nuclear Plant in Rajhastan in partnership with Rajhastan State and the power would be wheeled into Punjab. They kept saying that as Punjab was an agrarian State a Nuclear Plant in Punjab would be inadvisable.

I still feel that if Manmohan Government is set to fall Akali Dal will refrain from voting in the trust vote thus giving UPA indirect support.

Regards
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
Power User

Fateh Ji,

Today Mr. Badal has announced that Akali Dal will not vote for UPA and will vote with NDA.

But I still feel the last word in this matter has not been said.

And knowing Mr. Badal and his fixation for votes I don't think that matter is sealed and delivered in favor of NDA.

I hear that Mr. Sarna of DGPC has said that Vedanthi Ji should issue a Hukamnama to the Punjab MPs to vote for Manmohan.

All the best
Mr. 5ingh
Active Forum User

Post by Mr. 5ingh »

It is very strange that punjab does not wants to share water with rajasthan but wants power that too nuclear from it ...

what a hypocrisy
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Trust vote: Do Akalis have a choice?
Prabhjot Singh
Tribune News Service

Chandigarh, July 13

Pressure from various Sikh organisations, especially those that have a soft corner for either Prime Minister Manmohan Singh or the Congress-led UPA government at the Centre, notwithstanding the Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) has no choice but to follow its alliance partner the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) in the July 22 motion of confidence in the Lok Sabha.

“True, Dr Manmohan Singh has as Prime Minister given the Sikh community a new identity the world over, but that cannot be reason enough to break our decades-long trusted political association with the BJP,” says a senior leader of the SAD maintaining that “party MPs would abide by the directions of Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal.”

Of late, there has been a considerable debate in Akali circles over bailing out the UPA government to allow the Prime Minister to complete a five-year term in office. Some Akali MPs even indicated supporting the motion of confidence before the SAD supremo Parkash Singh Badal reportedly cautioned them.

Sources reveal that the national leadership of the BJP has not taken such observations and comments made by some senior SAD leaders, including MPs, well. They reportedly conveyed their displeasure to Badal.

The BJP leadership maintains that such comments by Akali Dal leaders were detrimental to the interests of the SAD-BJP government in Punjab and would ensure general elections.

Some senior Akali leaders, including MPs, have, on the condition of anonymity, admitted that there was an initial view that supporting Prime Minister Manmohan Singh would also have given the Sikh diaspora in the US an image of a friendly community for its open support to the nuclear deal.

Since the BJP-led NDA government has a clear stand on nuclear power, the view has been countered with references to Pokharan explosions undertaken during the previous Vajpayee government.

The Akalis have now been given to understand that the continuation of the present UPA government in office was not in the larger political interests of the NDA partners. “Inflation and price rise has been an issue that the NDA wants to use to the full by forcing general elections to be ordered several months before they are due. We do not want to lose this advantage,” has been the argument given to the NDA partners.

Further, the SAD-BJP alliance in Punjab has not been without problems. The local bodies and panchayat elections brought to surface the apparent rift between the political partners.

Senior Dal leaders now realise that defiance of the NDA on the issue of vote of confidence may not be in their interests, as it would leave the BJP the prudent choice of walking out of the alliance, thereby leading to a premature collapse of the state government.
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Sikh as PM a non-issue: Badal

Pioneer News Service - Chandigarh

Shiromani Akali Dal supremo and Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal said Prime Minister Manmohan Singh being a Sikh was a non-issue and his party would go with the NDA during the confidence vote on the nuclear deal issue in the Lok Sabha.

"Don't drag me into non-issues like the Prime Minister being a Sikh," he told mediapersons in Jalandhar when asked whether his party would vote against India's first Sikh Prime Minister during the confidence vote, according to PTI.

"SAD is a constituent of the NDA and we will follow the stand taken by it," the Punjab Chief Minister is reported to have said.

Badal's remarks came amid reports that some Sikh bodies have approached the Akal Takht for a directive to community's MPs to support the Prime Minister during the trust vote.

Power User

Fateh Ji,

Some observations:

1/ There is no selfishness in a a joint venture for Nuclear Power. There is a BJP Government in Rajasthan and Rajasthan has barren or waste land available. Nuclear tests are conducted in Rajsthan (Pokhran).

2/ Up to now Akalis have been what can be termed as an 'ideal ally' of BJP in Delhi (center)

3/ In the worst scenario the trust vote could be a touch and go and for all you know one or two Akali MP's could all of a sudden be hospitalized!

All the best
bhan singh
New User

Post by bhan singh »

This issue so clearly shows why the Akali leadership are just a set of puppets controlled by the BJP. Whilst other party's with less than 8 votes are making demands before they elect which side they will cast their votes on, Badal hands over his 8 votes to the BJP without requesting anything, and we talk about not making the mistake of 1947 again. With people like Badal at the helm the mistakes will be be made over and over again and both the congress and BJP know this.

Now, if Badal was a leader of any worth he would say to the Congress, " we both know the recent history of our party's stand on issues pertaining to sikhs and punjab. First, Sikhs are the most nationalist people of India who made the most contribution to achieving and defending Indian freedom and as you have forgotten your history of the free india movement, let me remind you that it was Baba Ram Singh, a sikh, who launched the free India movement in 1961 and we will not take any lessons from the congress party or their spokespersons in the form of D.S.G.P.C. on what is in the interests of the nation. We will be the judge of that. The problem we have with you is that you just can't be trusted as you have gone back on every promise you have ever made with the sikh's. However, as sikhs of Guru Granth Sahib we are always full of forgiveness and compassion, therefore as an act of good faith we ask you to return with the same hands that you stole the treasures of the guru ghar and deposit them in front of guru granth sahib at darbar sahib,only then can we even think of holding talks about talks on what is in the best interests of mini-india that is todays punjab where Sikhs, Hindus, Muslims, Christians and communists live in peace and harmony. Your failure to act will lead me to conclude that the face of the party may have changed but its nature remains anti-punjab."

To the BJP Badal should say that we are not an extention of your party, we too have demands. "If you want to get our party's votes then you have to agree in writing that as and when you get in power you will within 100 days return the stolen wealth to the guru garh, you will hold in prison and try the congress leaders guilty of the murder of Sikhs in Nov. 1984 and will arrest the anti-national murderer and rapist Gurmit Ram. Agree in writing to do this and we will vote with you but if you disagree then we will know you, for what you are."

I believe if Badal was to adopt the above stand he would then be able to leave a legacy to his son of his time in power, however, the above is beyond the failed, weak and timid leader that Badal is and for that within 10 years of his death he will become a foot-note in Punjab and Indian politics.
Anmol M Singh
New User

Post by Anmol M Singh »

If the PM has not done any thing for the Sikhs, then Akalis fair even worst. By joining hands with the BJP and RSS what are they trying to prove. In my opinion the Akali's should support the national interest, irrespective of whether the PM is a Sikh or a Non Sikh.

Manmohan Singh as a PM has brought Sikhs in positive limelight all over the world. Sikhs should themselves try to benefit from it.
suraj
New User

Post by suraj »

Badal decides not to vote for UPA since he does not want to vote on communal lines
http://www.livemint.com/2008/07/1523563 ... ct-fr.html

“We cannot allow India to be run on communal considerations,” Badal said, and posed a counter-question: “If the PM is a Hindu, does it mean that all Hindus should support the PM and if he is a Muslim, does that imply that all Muslims should support him?”
Amid demands from various sections in Punjab as well as the Sikh diaspora that his party should not be responsible for the possible downfall of the Manmohan Singh government, Badal said a parochial mindset should be discarded.
He, however, praised Manmohan Singh, saying the Prime Minister is both very competent and a nice human being, but added, “The nice PM belongs to a political party that has never done justice to Punjab.”