Anand Karaj Lavan Phere Query

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
5ikh
Power User

Re: Anand Karaj Lavan Phere Query

Post by 5ikh »

simpleheart wrote:Dear Respected readers
Sat Sari Akaal
I would like to thank everyone who contributed their thoughts to me query.

Here are my few thoughts from all the input I received in regard to my queries:

1. I understand that the present form of lavan phere was adopted to adhere to Sikh philosophy than Vedic. Aren't we still on the Vedic track by incorporating phere around SGGS?
How do you figure that we are still following the Vedic system? What is similar?
2. Ok, it is written in Sikh Maryada that groom has to lead his bride for all four lavan. But, was equality given a thought while laying down this rule of conduct? Was women given equal status/role in SGPC when so called Sikh Maryada was written down? Husband and Wife start their wedding life from lavan phere around SGGS which hold equality for both men and women, but why is there no equality starting from the marriage ceremony? Why did SGPC ignore this point while laying down this rule of conduct? Isn't this rule biased in the favor of men because men controlling SGPC laid them down?
The Gurus got married, so how did they do their marriage with their wives? This goes back more than just 60 years. We are talking 100 years
3. What credibility would you give to such an authority ( SGPC) whose head Jagir Kaur killed her own daughter just because the guy she fell in love with and got married to was from a lower case and below her status? Where was Sikh Maryada at that time?
Please read up on history to understand where the Anand Karaj started and how they were conducted.
4. Gone are the days of typical patriarchal society where Man is expected to be the main bread winner. We are living in a society where Man and Woman are equally contributing in all aspects of marriage, in fact I give high regard to woman who leaves behind her home,family and everything to be with her husband into a new family. She is the one who has to make most of the compromises and sacrifices right from her marriage, so why not give her equal status right from the wedding ceremony of lavan phere?
How does they discussion have anything to do with equality?
Guru Nanak Devji's following words is the highest testimony in my opinion that why Women should be given highest regard -
"From woman, man is born; with woman, man is conceived; to woman he is engaged and married. Woman becomes his friend; through woman, the future generations come. When his woman dies, he seeks another; to woman he is bound. So why call her bad? From her, kings are born. Without woman, there would be no one at all. "
How does the Anand Karaj go against the above Gurbani?
Just the above words from Guru Nanak Devji inspires me to give my wife equality right from the marriage ceremony of lavan phere.

Best Regards
Thanks
GSingh
[/quote]

I believe you are very mistaken on Anand Karaj. The Anand Karaj do not discriminate against any gender.
swarn bains
Power User

Post by swarn bains »

I am whole heartedly with you. you have the same right as a man has. So you can walk togather or you take two turns ahead of the man and he takes two turn ahead of the woman. It has happened a few times. It need advertisement. congratulations and equal rights to all.
kjsinghhyd
Power User

Post by kjsinghhyd »

I understand that the present form of lavan phere was adopted to adhere to Sikh philosophy than Vedic. Aren't we still on the Vedic track by incorporating phere around SGGS?
Do you know what is the vedic track?
Ok, it is written in Sikh Maryada that groom has to lead his bride for all four lavan. But, was equality given a thought while laying down this rule of conduct?
You are just injecting thoughts into people that things don't have equality in them.
Husband and Wife start their wedding life from lavan phere around SGGS which hold equality for both men and women, but why is there no equality starting from the marriage ceremony?
I think Husband's baraat coming in a procession to bride's place is more a sign of inequality. You know that the bride's family is always the host. You know that happens first but you never question this part.
What credibility would you give to such an authority ( SGPC) whose head Jagir Kaur killed her own daughter just because the guy she fell in love with and got married to was from a lower case and below her status? Where was Sikh Maryada at that time?
Authority is not in SGPC but Rehit Maryada.
Gone are the days of typical patriarchal society where Man is expected to be the main bread winner. We are living in a society where Man and Woman are equally contributing in all aspects of marriage, in fact I give high regard to woman who leaves behind her home,family and everything to be with her husband into a new family.
Agreed
Just the above words from Guru Nanak Devji inspires me to give my wife equality right from the marriage ceremony of lavan phere.
That is true. But how the ceremony has been going on, don't try change that. You are trying to change something which in NO MEANS shows INEQUALITY of women. There are hundreds of things which propagate injustice against women and we should work on those, rather confusing the Panth using trivial things.
--
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕਾ ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ
ਵਾਹਿਗੁਰੂ ਜੀ ਕੀ ਫ਼ਤਿਹ
Kanwaljit Singh

ਖ਼ਾਲਸਾ ਸੋਇ ਕਰੇ ਨਿਤ ਜੰਗ - Khalsa is the One who always battles the vices within
Ekp
New User

Post by Ekp »

This was such a good question! Hope your wedding went well!

If the woman walking behind doesn't really mean inequality. Please explain why and how. Please do not say "it's tradition" or something as that is not really a valid reason.

Woman walking behind or in front or equal. Think it all goes. Vaheguru isn't really going to be bothered about such things.

:)
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

Ekp wrote:This was such a good question! Hope your wedding went well!

If the woman walking behind doesn't really mean inequality. Please explain why and how. Please do not say "it's tradition" or something as that is not really a valid reason.

Woman walking behind or in front or equal. Think it all goes. Vaheguru isn't really going to be bothered about such things.

:)

Nowadays most ppl tend to equate similarity to equality, it doesn't matter who walks in front and who behind.

That has no relevance in who will really be the lead in that relationship, I think most matured or experienced ppl know this hence are not that bothered to change this tradition, as changing it will be purely for namesake ..coz who will lead the relationship depends on the chemistry of the groom and bride.

In Vedic culture the man generally leads and just when the hymns of death or dying are to come then the women start to lead, signifying that she will die instead of the husband, this differentiates meaning of men leading in Sikh lavaan or Vedic Culture.

Nihal

Moderator Note: Please include proper reference to support your comment regarding another culture. Thanks.