Gold walls for Bangla Sahib Gurdwara

Post by Harbhajan S. Sangha »

source: http://www.tribuneindia.com/2010/20100617/main6.htm

Gold walls for Bangla Sahib Gurdwara
Critics say money could have been used for educating community kids

Ajay Banerjee
Tribune News Service

New Delhi, June 16
If all goes according to the plan, the main prayer hall of the historic Bangla Sahib Gurdwara in the Capital will soon shine with yellow metal.

Around 125 kg of gold, costing nearly Rs 23.75 crore (as per the current market rate) will be required for the ambitious project.

The gold will be crafted in form of fixed-sized plates, which would be finally joined together and will adorn the walls of the religious place that is very close to Delhi’s commercial hub, Connaught Place.

The first lot of 30 kg of gold was handed over by the Delhi Sikh Gurdwara Management Committee (DSGMC) to Baba Harbans Singh - who has launched a kar seva (voluntary service) to make the project a reality - on Friday.

DSGMC chief Paramjit Singh Sarna says the work will be completed in around 18 months and will be done in phases to ensure that devotees are not put to any discomfort.

The gold plates will be fixed at a height of six feet from the ground to prevent any damage to them. The entire inside portion of the main hall would be covered by gold. The outer portion of the dome of the gurdwara is already gold-plated.

The move has, however, sparked off a debate, with critics saying that the money required for the project could have been spent on education of community children and other welfare works.

"It is a sheer waste of resources that can be used to uplift the condition of riot victims," said Jarnail Singh, author of the now famous book on the 1984 anti-Sikh riots "I Accuse..".

Sarna’s rival in politics and the head of the Delhi unit of the Shiromani Akali Dal, Manjit Singh GK, says the wise move would have been to educate the community kids with the donation. But Sarna is unfazed. Lashing out at Manjit, he said: "He is jealous of the good work done by us for the Sikh community." Cost, says Sarna, is not an issue.

Some portion of the gold has been donated by managing bodies of various schools runs by the DSGMC in Delhi.

The community members are making donations, he added.

In the past, the DSGMC had gifted a golden "palki" to Gurdwara Nankana Sahib in Pakistan.

Bangla Sahib was built in 1783 and is associated with the Eighth Sikh Master, Guru Har Krishan. Originally a bungalow stood at the site, hence the name "Bangla Sahib."
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
Kuldip S. Virdi
Power User

Re: Gold walls for Bangla Sahib Gurdwara

Post by Kuldip S. Virdi »

Why do we as Sikhs appear to have great love for the glitter of the gold at our religious places even in the present time, when the whole world knows that there are better use of the Sangat's money then cladding of good walls of the gurudwaras.

Are we in the process of telling the world around that we are so rich that we can get our religious places covered by the real gold plates ?

DGMC does run several schools and colleges and has been in the process of setting up a hospital cum medical college. Certainly improving facilities in such institutions or starting new similar facilities for the Sikh and general public would have been better idea then thinking of covering the walls of Bangla Sahib with the gold plates.Even giving succour to the 84 affected poor sikh families would be worthy task or it does not attract good press.

DGMC through Sarna brothers had donated a 'gold' palki for the Nanakana Saheb a few years ago, which went in a procession through Delhi, Haryana and Punjab, before reaching Nanakana Saheb in Pakistan's Punjab. The 'gold' palki was never installed there as the earlier installed marble palki continues to tbe there in the main gurudwara hall. The gold palki was just left in some corner and we had a raging controversy about the gauge and weight of the gold sheets used therafter. I do not know the outcome of this controversy only for some time Sarnas thought they have scored a brownie point over Badals.

Let us see what happens to this project now.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khalsa, wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh
hars1699
New User

Post by hars1699 »

We all are aware that DSGMC has initiated a new project to decorate Gurdwara Bangla Sahib with 125 Kgs of Gold which is a non judicious act of wasting the community's wealth in the utmost useless way.

In the wake of stopping such activities to spread further, lets do our part by just sending an sms to support the cause.

Please send the below message to the DSGMC members:

JAISE SAT MANDAR KANCHAN KE USAAR DEENE
TAISA PUNN SIKH KO IK SHABAD SIKHAAYE KA.

"Even if you build hundreds of fancy and shiny gold studded temples in the Name of God, it is still incomparable to the act of teaching Guru's Word to a person." -Vaar Bhai Gurdaas Ji

Please sms this message to the below DSGMC members:

Paramjit Singh Sarna - 9810640061
Harvinder Singh Sarna - 9810172761
Inderjeet Singh Monty - 9811174950
Joginder Singh Walia - 9818304354
Joginder Singh - 9312272330;9911073550
Gurmeet Singh Shunty - 9810034093
Kartar Singh Kochar- 9811063250;9871397181

I believe this is the least we can do if we really support the cause.

If you hesitate to do so then please give a thought to the below facts:

Is this a wise thought to spend crores of rupees for the needless expenditure of decorating Gurdwara Bangla Sahib with Gold?

Do we want our Gurdwaras to look like a worship place or a spot of tourist attraction for the purpose of showing off sikh wealth?

How much money does DSGMC contribute for supporting underprivileged sikh society and riot affected families?

How well paid are those school/college staff members operating under the leadership of DSGMC?

How many funds does DSGMC contribute for supporting the education of poor family kids?

What justification does DSGMC has for the failed results of 100+ students in XII CBSE exams of GHPS, Punjabi Bagh?
Punjabi G
Power User

Post by Punjabi G »

Ironically, while Sikhism rejects such practices, Sikhs and Gurudwara Committees are becoming notorious for indulging in these practices. Most people indulge in this behaviour and I guess "Pardhans" and committee memebers of Gurudwaras don't want to be left behind!

The thought process is somewhat like this. You offer valuables to your God(s) and hope that the God is pleased with such a fancy/expensive offerings and in return rewards you with even more material riches. Other reasons are simply to show-off and getting masses to believe that you are doing a great seva, so that you can continue as a President of the committee !

People keep indulging in this show-off even though Gurbani and lives of Guru Sahib show us the other way. They all want to be Malik Bhago when Guru favors Lallo! This is the same thought behind marblization of all gurudwaras and giving fancy/expensive rumallas when a simple one could suffice and the money can be used in a better way. The list is endless on the amount/ resources wasted on such endeavors.
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

This news makes me feel ashamed.

Sikhi is dying out in India, and all these jokers can come up with is an ostentatious display of vulgar wealth ? I mean, where are these people's priorities ?

All that money could have gone towards funding scholarships for Gursikh students who could in turn be asked to spend vacations doing prachar or reform work in various villages where alcoholism, drug use (prevalent among about 73.5% of Punjab's youth), female foeticide, casteism, etc. are rampant. Or even sent to other parts of India where potentially millions of people possibly open to the message of Sikhi and looking for a way out of the prison of caste await them ?
nnnsingh
Active Forum User

Post by nnnsingh »

This is main reason I dont donate money SGPC......of DgPC

there are so many sakhis from the gurus times that rejected this material wealth....

they obviously have so much money they just dont know what to do with it.

Why use it on things such as propogating sikhi......when you can waste it on gold covered walls.

this will be a good example of how sikh "leaders" led us astray.....
rajats26
New User

Post by rajats26 »

Waste of money. Showing off. Attempting to show that sikh gurudwaras are more richer and better than others in the world. Guru Granth Sahib - "The greatest saint does the best, but never allows himself to be seen doing it." No ego. I want to know, how much of that money, did the guy in charge of the project sneak out of it for himself. 24 crore, no one will notice 1 or 2 crore missing. with 24 crore rupees, you have any idea how many poor people could be fed and clothed? This is DISGUSTING! But eh, too bad our Akaal Takht is too busy regulating one simple word change in ardaas (could be a big deal too, i know) but do nothing regarding this. Got to love people in power and politics, and corruption, yay......
malwastyle
New User

Post by malwastyle »

Sat Sri Akal

As you can see this is my first post in this forum and I would like to respectfully disagree with some of the statements made by other users. If I am not mistaken Maharaja Ranjit Singh commissioned the the gold plating and marble inlays in 1830 as a sign of respect and reverence to the holy shrine. Bangla Sahib Ji is the most prominent Gurdwara in Delhi and a powerful symbol of the faith. It remained for the most part unmolested by the 1984 genocide and was the principle refugee for many Sikhs at the time. To me it stands as a symbol of our undying resilience and the reawakening of Sikhism after its many years of slumber. The golden walls will act in many ways to further entrench the Gurdwara into the Delhi landscape where it will be a symbol for all dignitaries both foreign and domestic that there is a powerful minority living in India. One that has with stood powerful storms against its faith and have emerged more united than ever.

It is not my intention to disregard the aforementioned opinions of my fellow Sikhs. I agree that poverty is a prevailing issue, not only in Delhi (my city of birth) but also much of the world. I agree that these funds could have been used to allay the suffering of the poor and destitute, the widows of the 1984 riots, and a myriad of problems in India. What needs to be realized is that we as Sikhs are a nationless people, the only major religion in the world that does not have an autonomous homeland. These gestures like the gold plated walls for Bangla Sahib Ji will serve to draw humanities attention to the Sikh community and lift this shroud of ignorance towards Sikhs that permeates our planet.

I believe that the Sikh community in Delhi will be invigorated to continue our proud tradition of service to humanity, the spotlight will be one our community, the world will take notice of our struggles and applaud at how we continue to weather the storms upon our faith. Upon writing the last sentence I remembered a saying I heard in high school and for the life of me cannot remember who spoke it "you can't change the wind, but you can adjust your sails." How apt a metafor of our history!
nimana
New User

Post by nimana »

In my point of view this is an irrational expense. If putting GOLD in the Gurudwara can make Devotees sit & listen to the Katha, Kirtan & imbibe Sikhi in them then , no doubt it is a very good move else it is a complete waste of time & money.
If I recall Mr. Sarna few years ago, he had started a Project to adopt villages in Punjab & educate the younger generation about Sikhi so that they would not be Patit? What happened to that project can I be informed? How much money was spent on the same with what result?
This only goes to show that no Gurudwara committee is interested in promoting Sikhism but promoting Religious "Tourist" Places as that will get their Coffers swelling.
All I can Quote is "OONCHE MANDAR SUNDAR NAARI RAM NAAM BIN BAAZI HAARI."