KHALSALAND--- *The wonder land*

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Re: KHALSALAND--- *The wonder land*

Post by ImperfectSikh »

Kuldip S. Virdi wrote:
On the other hand, we have more people willing to go out of Punjab on any day rather coming back to settle there and carry out local productive economical activities including agriculture. How many of our friends 'settled' abroad want to come back and make it their home brining their newly acquired skills and capital.

So, in my humble view, wonderland envisaged with a minscule portion of the population can be wished but achievable, does not appear to be practical.

Wahe Guru Ji Ka Khlasa, wahe Guru Ji Ki Fateh,

Kuldip Singh
Well presented, and argued.

That said, I would not even wish this to happen. The resulting state (even if it could be dreamed into existence) would be landlocked (and hence dependent on one or more of its neighbours for access to world trading routes). That in itself would make it certain that it could not thrive economically. Do we really want to be Mongolia, or Lesotho, or even Congo ?

Second, it would extremely vulnerable to attack from at least three directions. The required military expenditure (and the dubious loyalties of the large non-Sikh population, who would have no reason to prefer a Sikh-led secular state created by a minority over say, India) would itself empty the treasury.

Third, its mainly agrarian economy would be at the mercy of foreign powers who could at any moment of their choosing, choose to redirect the river flows. If you have any doubts, look at what Russia did to Aral Sea.
AS Khalsa
Power User

Post by AS Khalsa »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!
'Mona Sikh', your idealist views appear to have no connection with reality, I'm sorry to say. For a start, the 'KhalsaLand' or Khalistan will never happen - The Sikhs are simply too few in number - there are only 25 million of us, and if Khalistan were to come into being, it would be sandwiched between over hundreds of millions of Pakistanis and over a billion Hindu Indians - Both of them have nuclear capability, as has been mentioned by the Sadh Sangat. In such a country, our armed forces would be tiny, because the population from which armed forces can be drawn is absolutely miniscule- many Sikh soldiers owe their loyalty to India before their faith, as was indicated by the disgraceful attack on the Harmandir Sahib in 1984, in which many of the soldiers who commited the atrocities were 'Sikhs'. Secondly, you talk as if this land and its inhabitants are perfect - let me remind you that the Punjab, our perfect 'Khalsaland' is the world's number one transit point for opium (heroin) and there is much crime there. Again, you talk of this Khalsaland as a place of tolerance. The Punjabi society is not tolerant - Casteism is everywhere, and there are several atrocities commited in the name of caste, as well as severe caste-based discrimination. And you seem to be certain that this 'Khalsaland' will be economically prosperous. That is complete speculation. Dont forget that if such a country comes into existence, it will undoubtedly end up being run by the Akali Dal, or some corrupt political organisation, who will destroy Punjab's economy, because they have no experience in politics, they just blow their top and preach. If there was a significantly higher number of Sikhs in India, then maybe there would be a Punjab, but there is not - We could go out and try and convert people, but our religion doesn't condone evangelicism... 'Khalsaland' wont happen. And yes, as someone has mentioned above, Sikhi is going downhill in India, whereas it is experiencing a fresh and reinvigorating burst of life in the West.
MONA_SIKH
New User

Post by MONA_SIKH »

At least sikhi is rejuvinating some where in the world. Do they (western sikhs) have no duty to regain the prosperity of 5 takhts or do we simply leave the current punjab and migrate to canada, usa and uk. Punjab is the birth place of sikhism and no power can deviate sikhs from the holy land.
Every body even the Akalis know what they are capable of. The only reason why they are in constant power in Punjab is because of operation Blue Star. Once a free state all the feet lickers of BJP and other indian parties can stay with them out ot punjab.
And if some one points out the strength of sikhs than history is proof that sikhs were always outnumbered against their enemies despite they achieved a significant place in the present world. It might be true that this wonderland wont be a reality at present. But the sikhs can carry this hope of light in their hearts till the last day.

Satsri Akal
Jas4raj
Active Forum User

Post by Jas4raj »

Vaheguru ji Ka Khalsa, Vaheguru ji ki Phateh!

Mona_sikh, I envy your vision of Khalsaland. Personally, I would love it see it. But realistically, I dont think we will get to see it in our lifetime. But you never know what Vaheguru can do.

For all the people who say it is not possible, the situation now is no worse then when Singhs lived in the Jungles, who were hunted with prices on their heads, they fed off leaves and barely had any belongings. But they had something most of us lack now a days, faith in Vaheguru and were in Chardi Kala no matter how they lived. But Guru Sahib did bless them with Khalsa Raaj. Unfortunately, we lost it to the British.
Moreover, you never know of political developments that happen everyday could lead to something. Who ever thought the great USSR would break down in to smaller countries? Yet it happened.
And for those you say landlock countries can never survive, my feeling is your perspective is glass is half empty. I would look at the glass as half full, why dont you look at successful landlocked countries? Think harder...how about Switzerland.
Basically what I am getting at is, if you are always thinking "things cant happen" there is not way it will happen for you. You need to remove the Mental Blocks, have a 360 vision and dream big and keep faith and hope alive! Be in Chardi Kala, and dont be a downer.
In the end, I want to share with you what Willliam Wallace said in the movie Braveheart,.."fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!I"

Mona_Sikh, Keep the flame burning!
AS Khalsa
Power User

Post by AS Khalsa »

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa, Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh!

Yes, I agree, Western Sikhs could fill in to manage the Gurdwaras an so on. But lets not forget that these are Western who have their home in the Western world, and because they live in the West, they will not have the time, nor the capability to run a Khalistan (I dont even think they want one) because their homes and families are on the other side of the world. Just think what a hassle it would be for all these Western Sikhs to emigrate to 'Khalsaland' if it comes into being (Millions upon millions of Sikhs all migrating at once), it just isn't possible.

And if Khalsaland were to come into being, who apart from the Akali Dal do you suppose will run it? All of the prominent Sikh politicians, including Manmohan Singh, are opposed to Khalistan. So who else can possibly run it? Some Jathedar from a Gurdwara? These kinds of Sikh leaders have absolutely no political experience, and so will be incapable of running this 'Khalsaland'.

And you say that Sikhs were always outnumbered against their enemies but still won... Thats was in the age of swords and shields... This is the age of guns and tanks. Lets not forget that the Shaheeds that died defending Harmandir Sahib (which contrary to popular belief were not there demanding Khalistan) were outnumbered (not vastly), but were massacred. In the age of guns, there is no such thing as skill in battle, because everyone is now at an equal advantage. A fat general in an armchair can kill 100 people with the push of a button, far more than a strong, brave Singh can with a tulwar.
ImperfectSikh
Active Forum User

Post by ImperfectSikh »

This is almost surreal.

Sikhi exists in the heart, and in the congregation. Not as a prisoner of a place where it is constantly subjected to the worst indignities by those too besotted with an incompatible culture.