JOKES ON SARDARS

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Re: JOKES ON SARDARS

Postby punjabiguy » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:06 pm

Lee Douglas wrote:Ahh my freind please do a similar search for jokes about the Irish, or the English or Jews or Muslims, Hindus, Christians, teachers, policemen, politcians.

There are countless jokes about countless people, let it go my freind, after all they are only jokes.

Hi guys...i just browsed through some comments and yes they are millions of jokes on the net and in peoples minds.......people will always have something to say...if we all kept to out business, then we would all be united.....look at blonde jokes...dont u think they get really hurt when they hear people say them....i qouted the above, because the best cure would be ignorance.....we cant throw lawsuits....like that everything would be based on lawsuits and someone will be sued daiily......

I am a clown myself (as in a very cheerful person and have a good sense of humor)...i always make people in my office laugh and it the best pleasure i get...seeing people happy....yes jokes on sikhs hurt and nothing can be done to those millions of people, but look at the bright side....u have brough joy to people....they laughed today because of a sikh joke......

some jokes go to the extreme and are really degrading, and all i can say about such people who post them and tell them is they have no self respect......if they cant respewct some1s religion, how will they follow thiers......It used to really huurt me as i always hear my hindu friends say bara bajge?....but i always keep quite cas we know the full stiry, if it wasnt for 12 oclock, many of hindu and sikh ladies would have been captured by mkoghuls and god knows what wiuld have happend...when i see people say such jokes, i feel like telling them to shut up...but well truth is bitter and they wont want to hear the past.....only solution is god give such people some brains

But minor jokes like banta and santa ones, i personally feel are ok.....sikhs arent dumb or anything....for God sake...india is being led by as sikh pm....i was one of the best students in class...but i alwasy act dumb funny at work to bring smiles on peoples faces......in this world, whats on ur face isnt what u r.....what people say abut sikhs isnt wat is in fact...we know wat we are capable of.......and one great thing is we respect all peoples religion.,...all il say is God gave us the courage to protect us, people and bring smiles on peoples faces.....

sorry if what io said hurt any1 in any way....we all are humans
If you break an egg from the outside....a life ends.....if an egg breaks from the inside......a life begins......to live life, look at your inner self and not your outter self
punjabiguy
New User

Postby snowy » Thu Feb 04, 2010 3:43 am

All I want to know is what happen to hindujokes.com

It says that the site was attacked.

If hindus are saying they want Sikhs to be able to laugh at jokes about Sikhs.

Then why cant hindus take it, especially brahmins.

What I have noticed is that the old muslim media (bollywood now taken over by hollywood) were the ones egging
on the ridiculing of Sikhs, and hindus just past it along.

For instance the famed 12 oclock joke, it makes sense that muslims would make fun of that
because a small forces of Sikhs strategically humiliated and decimated these large army of foreign invaders freeing many hindus.

So, the muslims just try to make fun of the situation but the hindus started repeating the joke, and in
reality its sad, eventhough they outnumbered the muslims, the hindus didnt fight to free their loved ones.

So, I say from the Pinds of Vancouver to the Pinds of Punjab, and even those in new mexico, let all Sikh children learn to tell really good brahmin/hindu/muslim jokes spare the danes and the irishman, but let the english have it as well, it will be like practicing Ghatka with the tongue.
snowy
Active Forum User

Postby Lee Douglas » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:51 am

Hah hah Snowy Ji,

Yes I agree with you. I'm not sure we shold let the Danes off they are far too liberal, in fact let them all have it.

Ghatka for the tounge, heh very good my freind very good.
Lee Douglas
Power User

Postby lotus lion » Thu Feb 04, 2010 4:50 pm

Hi,

What needs to be understood about these jokes is that they are malicious in nature and not good hearted with the sole objective of embarrassing and humiliating the Sikh who wears a Turban. When one responds, they are told to lighten up to and not spoil the mood(?)
Ironically when one little joke is thrown back at the them, they become upset and angry very quickly indicating the strength of their mindset.

I am not surprised when i see Brothers cut their Kesh and stop wearing the Turban as the ridicule becomes too much to handle. Ironically some Sikhs who cut their Kesh then join in, almost in relief and being perfectly frank, with a tinge of cowardice in their voice as they mock. It is quite pathetic really.

A thread that has relevance to this is about a Young Sikh Brother from Punjab who is dealing with people who mock him.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=2874&start=0

It is the ugly side of what happens when as a collective we take a laxed, irresponsible and shortsighted approach when Sikhs are bullied in various forms because they adhere and connect to the Dharma in a proactive way.

Up until recently the Turban was practically universally accepted as indicators of authority governance and righteousness, Sardaari if you will.

To the Brothers who have responded saying that we should be relaxed about it, I have to disagree. It is because we have tolerated this for so long as whole that this thread is being discussed and it is not the first time either.

What must be noted is that the people who say so are either Older Sikhs or New Joiners to the Dharma who have not been exposed to what Younger Sikhs are up against.
Please note that I say that sincerely with the greatest of respects. Different viewpoints are infact necessary and help build a full rounded picture. I welcome all perceptions even if they do not flow in the same direction as mine and offer different resolutions.

Older Sikhs most possibly had positive experiences in their life where Sardar was said with honor. It is from this base that one speaks and that is perfectly fine, but i am of the belief that it is not in keeping with how Sikhs are generally perceived and treated in today's climate.

Changes are being made ofcourse through Bollywood with films such as Rocket Singh and so forth but we have a long road to travel before Sikhs can reclaim their respect.
Another point of interest is that if old Bollywood films are watched, one will see how Sikhs were generally presented as respected honorable people who others would turn to in times of trouble. It was during the Khalistani movement Sikhs were presented in a non-positive light through the media and sadly it became the status quo, but as i say it is changing.

On a personal level living in the UK, i can recall two occasions where others attempted to mock me.

In the first instance a Tamil person sent me and my Sikh friends a text mocking Sardars. We were taken aback but did not get angry, we simply sent him another "joke" text replacing the character with a Tamil. Needless to say he never said anything again.

On another occasion, i was on the tube and in my carriage there were several Sikhs from India who were wearing colourful Turbans. Three other (Hindu's?) from India were also in the same carriage started mocking the Sikhs with the colourful turbans, naturally i was included. I immediate turned round to them and said that this does not work here and if they would like to take the matter further we can get off on the next stop.
They apologies straight away and stayed completely quiet not making eye contact with any of us at all for the rest of their journey.

I appreciate that some may say that we should ignore it and i understand that, but when someone else is attempting take away your self respect in a bid to make themselves look big infront of others, standing up and putting that person in his place with some quick wit and backbone is most possibly best way to stop it and make sure it does not happen again.

My best regards,

Lotus
"Chirian to mein baaz tudaun, Gidran to mein sher banaun, Sawa lakh se ek ladaun,
Tabe Gobind Singh Naam kahaun."
lotus lion
Active Forum User

Postby KamaljitSingh » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:00 am

Sadh Sangat ji I wish to share an incidence that took place in my office in around 1994.A colleague was cracking a joke on Sardars.My blood boiled and I gave him two super tight slaps on the face.The chap went to the manager with his hand on his cheek.He did not talk to me for two years but later shook hand with me and invited me to his marriage which I did not attend though.This incidence occurred in Delhi.Jokes are a kind of verbal violence.This violence got paid back in physical violence which may not be an appropriate way though.Once my son came home and told me about some ugly remark made on Waheguru.I was hurt.I would like to mention here that one of the reasons why I shifted to Jagraon from NOIDA was these Jokes.WJKKWJKF.
Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh
KamaljitSingh
Power User

The next time somebody makes a joke about Sikhs remember thi

Postby Sikh-learner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:16 pm

The next time somebody makes a joke about Sikhs remember this little story !!
An excellent response by a true Sardar:

"Hello friends!!
Well, jayant , my friend, told me the following incident which I wish
to share with you. It has had a deep impact on my thinking.
In the diwali vacation, Jayant and his couple of friends had gone to Delhi.
They rented a taxi for local sight-seeing.
The driver was an old Sardar, and boys being boys, Jayant and his pals began cracking Sardarji jokes, just to insinuate the old man.
But to their surprise, the fellow remained unperturbed.
At the end of the sight-seeing, they paid up the hire-charges. The Sardar returned the change.
Moreover, he gave each one of them one rupee extra and said, (in Hindi, of course),''son, since morning you have been telling Sardarji jokes. I listened to them all and let me tell you, some of them were in a very bad taste.
Still, I don't mind coz I know that you are young blood and are yet to
see the world. But I have just one request. Here I am giving you one rupee each. Give it to the first Sardar beggar that you come across in this city."
Jayant continued," That one rupee coin is still with me. I couldn't find a single Sardar begging on the streets of Delhi."

Sikhs are one of the most prosperous and diversified communities in the world. The secret behind their universal success, according to me, is their willingness to do any job with utmost dedication.
A Sardar will drive a truck or set up a roadside garage or a dhaba, but he will never beg on the streets
Sikh-learner
Active Forum User

Postby Sikh-learner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:18 pm

Sikhs Struggle to stop these Jokes

http://www.expressindia.com/latest-news ... es/246587/

FIR against Anil Ambani over Sikh jokes

Agencies
Posted: Dec 04, 2007 at 0000 hrs IST

Lucknow, December 4: An FIR has been lodged against Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group Chairman Anil Ambani and senior officials of Reliance Communications for allegedly circulating derogatory jokes against the Sikh community through its mobile Internet services.
The FIR was lodged by Lucknow Gurudwara Prabandhak Committee (LGPC) after an emergent meeting held in Lucknow on Sunday, official sources said on Monday.
"These jokes are insulting as some Sikhs have been abused. They offend the feelings of the entire Sikh community. We cannot tolerate this insult being heaped on us," LGPC President Rajendra Singh Bagga said.
He said the LGPC wanted a written apology from the Reliance Group Chairman, failing which they would stage a nation-wide protest against the group all over the country.
Bagga warned that they would not hesitate to boycott all products of the company if it did not tender an apology.
When contacted, Vice President, Corporate Communication (North) Reliance Infocomm, Avinash Jain said that an FIR has been registered.
He, however, said the company had served a legal notice to the Internet service provider, who is responsible for circulating jokes.
Sikh-learner
Active Forum User

Postby Sikh-learner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 pm

Sikhs ask cops to ban 'Sardar' jokes on Net

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/arti ... page-1.cms

TNN 19 March 2007, 12:30am IST

MUMBAI: Buoyed by a successful campaign against a publisher of joke books, members of the Sikh community have now approached the Mumbai police to block any form of humour on the net targeting them.

The cyber cell department of the crime branch has received a plea asking it to "ban jokes on the internet" which portray Sardars as objects of ridicule.

Community heads feel the jokes, many of them bordering on the obscene, have begun to have such a demoralising effect on Sikh youths that they feel "ashamed when they interact with members of other communities."

The latest provocation was the publication of the Santa and Banta Joke Book found stocked by a Matunga-based book publisher. Ranjit Parande had been selling copies of the book for the last year and a half.

On Sunday, nearly 25 Sikh youths from a youth body, Sikh Media and Culture Watch (SMCW) gathered in front of the Shivaji Park police station demanding Parande's arrest.

Based on a complaint filed by Sikh businessman Mohinderpal Nanksingh Kakar (42), the police have now arrested Parande under section 295 of the IPC which is non-bailable in nature. The section deals with "hurting religious sentiments."

The Sikh community heads feel the arrest vindicates their position that such jokes, although circulated for years now, have got out of hand with TV and internet precipitating the situation.

The concern is that the stereotypical idea of a dim-witted Sardar tends to generate a certain degree of prejudice and negates the positive traits which are commonly associated with the community.

"We have excelled in all fields and even done yeoman service in the freedom struggle. Our members are a real asset to the armed forces and today one amongst us has become the prime minister," Karnal Singh, the president of Dashmesh Gurdwara at Sion-Koliwada, said. "These jokes are clearly tasteless and cause deep anguish."

Some among Mumbai's 2 lakh strong Sikhs hold their own icons responsible for perpetuating a certain image. Swaranjit Singh Bajaj, who is also the VP of SMCW, puts the blame on commentators and satirists like Navjot Singh Sidhu and
Khushwant Singh.

"Though some jokes were created by the Sikhs themselves, now it has gone out of hand," said DGP Pasricha. He said he would support the call for action if similar complaints continued to surface.
Sikh-learner
Active Forum User

Postby Sikh-learner » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:30 pm

It's 12-o'clock!

By guruka
Created May 20 2009 - 10:15am

"Its easy to joke on a Sardar, but it's too difficult to be a Sardar".

Ithought, again some joke on sardar ji, but finally there was plea, not to make fun of other religion. i was happy that someone has started to convey my views.

I was standing at jalandhar station when my attention went towards a Sikh youth standing near me wearing a Black turban having a long beard and wearing a kirpan over his shirt looking similar to a terrorist.

After a while, one local train arrived, which was totally packed. The Sikh youth tried to alight the train but failed to do so.

Just then a voice was heard from the back coach 'Sardarji Barah Baj gaye' (Sir it's 12 o'clock!)

The Sikh youth looked over at that voice maker who was a young Mischievous type of person and instead of showing any anger made a smile towards him.

The smile made was so enigmatic that it seemed as if some type of truth lies behind it. Not able to resist my temptation, I walked towards him and asked why did he smile at that person who teased him. The Sikh youth replied, 'He was not teasing me but was asking for my Help' . I was surprised with these words and he told me that there was a big history behind that which one should know. I was eager to know the History and the Sikh youth narrated:

During 17th Century, when Hindustan was ruled by Mughals, all the Hindu people were humiliated and were treated like animals. Mughals treated the Hindu women as their own property and were forcing all Hindus to accept Islam and even used to kill the people if they were refusing to accept.That time, our ninth Guru, Sri Guru Teg Bahadarji came forward ,in response to a request of some Kashmir Pandits to fight against all these cruel activities. Guruji told the Mughal emperor that if he could succeed in converting him to Islam, all the Hindus would accept the same.

But, if he failed, he should stop all those activities . The Mughal emperor happily agreed to that but even after lots of torture to Guruji and his fellow members he failed to convert him to Islam and Guruji along with his other four fellow members, were tortured and sacrificed their lives in Chandni Chowk. Since the Mughals were unable to convert them to Islam they were assassinated.

Thus Guruji sacrificed his life for the protection of Hindu religion. Can anybody reading this lay down his life and that too for the protection of another religion? This is the reason he is still remembered as "Hind Ki Chaddar", shield of India. For the sake of whom he had sacrificed his life, none of the them came forward to lift his body, fearing that they would also be assassinated

Seeing this incident our 10th Guruji! , Sri Guru Gobind Singhji (Son of Guru Teg Bahadarji) founder of the Khalsa made a resolution that he would convert his followers to such human beings who would not be able to hide themselves and could be easily located in thousands. At the start, the Sikhs were very few in numbers as they were fighting against the Mughal emperors. At that time, Nadir Shah raided Delhi in the year 1739 and looted Hindustan and was carrying lot of Hindustan treasures and nearly 2,200 Hindu women along with him. The news spread like a fire and was heard by Sardar Jassa Singh who was the Commander of the Sikh army at that time. He decided to attack Nadir Shah's Kafila on the same midnight. He did so and rescued all the Hindu women and they were safely sent to their homes.

It didn't happen only once but thereafter whenever any Abdaalis or Iranis had attacked and looted Hindustan and were trying to carry the treasures and Hindu women along with them for selling them in Abdal markets, the Sikh army although fewer in numbers but were brave hearted and attacked them at 12 o'clock midnight and rescued the women.

After that time when there occurred a similar incident. People started to contact the Sikh army for their help and Sikhs used to attack the raiders at Midnight, 12 o'clock. Nowadays, these "smart people" and some Sikh enemies who are afraid of Sikhs, have spread these words that at 12 O'clock, the Sikhs go out of their senses. This historic fact was the reason which made me smile over that person as I thought that his Mother or Sister would be in trouble! and wants my help and was reminding me by saying 'Sardarji Barah Baj Gaye'

Pease don't make fun of religions. Every river is different but they all flow into the ocean. "Its easy to joke on a Sardar, but it's too difficult to be a Sardar"
Sikh-learner
Active Forum User

Postby ssarabjit68 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:55 am

Lucknow, December 4: An FIR has been lodged against Anil Dhirubhai Ambani Group Chairman Anil Ambani and senior officials of Reliance Communications for allegedly circulating derogatory jokes against the Sikh community through its mobile Internet services.

What next? Should we start suing Gmail and Hotmail as well, because most of the jokes now get circulated via email?

My feeling is that we are making a joke of ourselves by over-reacting on these issues. A successful minority will always be at the butt of jokes from their not-so-successful counterparts from the majority. This is how envy works. Jokes on Sardars will stop only on that day when Sardar beggars are seen begging on the streets just like other communities. Ever wondered why there are no Dalit jokes? Why all the jokes are reserved for Sardars, Sindhis, Marwaris, Banias etc.? What is common among them? They all are successful communities.

All I want to know is what happen to hindujokes.com

It says that the site was attacked.

If hindus are saying they want Sikhs to be able to laugh at jokes about Sikhs.

Then why cant hindus take it, especially brahmins.

If Sikhs cannot stop sites with jokes on them, what makes you think that Hindus can do it? No one has prevented you from hacking Sikh joke sites just like "they" did against Hindu joke sites. Then why don't you do it? And who told you that Hindus cannot take it -especially brahmins? Did brahmins come and tell you? And if they cannot take it, why are you taking it? Just as they are refusing to take jokes on hindus and brahmins, why don't you also refuse the same?
ssarabjit68
New User

PreviousNext

Return to Sikhi Discussion