JOKES ON SARDARS

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
kulbir_singh
Active Forum User

JOKES ON SARDARS

Post by kulbir_singh »

Waheguru ji ka khalsa Waheguru ji ki fateh g...Recently while browsing the net, suddenly i came into contact to a website where there r published as a separate group named as SARDAR JOKES reading which filled me first with anger.. Then i thought to search on google to check if there were more other sites containing JOKES ON SARDARS... I put the search words "SARDAR SMS JOKES" and out of search result of lakhs, i opened some sites and found lakhs of jokes on SARDARS....
Sikhs are not jokers or clown but a class of most respected people. I think Nobody in this world has a right to make jokes and funny stories about sikhs. The media today makes funny characters wear turban and make them do rubbish things giving them appearance of sikhs. This is absolutely wrong and reflect a very stupid, cheap and immature behaviour, even jokes on PANDITS,BRAHAMANS and SHERMA/VERMA or any such kind should not be practised. I ask people whether making such jokes on SIKHS is reasonable and unprotestable by sikhs and if not, then what we sikhhs are doing to stop such websites from publishing or displaying jokes on SARDARS.
ssarabjit68
Active Forum User

Re: JOKES ON SARDARS

Post by ssarabjit68 »

Look at it the other way. They say that jealousy is the highest form of flattery. Similarly, in every society, successful community is always at the butt of jokes. It is the way of not-so-successful to get even. Just google JEWS JOKES on net and you will find that it spits out million times more pages than SARDAR JOKES. Why? Because looking to their small number, Jews have been disproportionately successful in every walk of life, giving jealousy to other communities. Have you noticed that the most desirable women group i.e. BLONDES has maximum number of Jokes about them? It is the way of non-BLONDES to get even with BLONDES. In India, the more successful communities viz. Sardars, Marwaris, Sindhis etc. have more jokes about them than other not-so-successful communities.

Next time you see a Sardar joke, don't get all worked up. Realize that it was probably started by someone who was feeling inferior before Sardar community. It was his way of getting even. The poor fellow might already be burning with jealousy of Sardars. Why do you seek additional punishment for him?
Theodorus
Power User

Post by Theodorus »

kulbir_singh ji,

The problem with jokes is that they can be good humored and friendly but they can also be mean and denigrating.

The good humoured and friendly jokes usually enlarge a specific attribute of a person or group of persons (can be even a nation) to such an extreem that it becomes rediculous (funny)
From this kind of humour you can learn 1. how others percieve you 2. on what specific attribute you either need to work of be proud of.

The denigrating jokes spread lies about a person or group of persons (can be even a nation). They are mean and intentional so. When they are so obviously wrong and hatefull it will be noticed by everyone but most often they are not and resemble the good humored jokes.

The problem is that often only the subject (or victem) of the jokes will know the difference between the two. And he will not be able to explain or protest as nowbody will understand what he is complaining about.

So to my opinion protesting will not help and others might percieve you narrow minded.

The only solution I can see is to take over yourself. Meaning that Sikhs should make (good humored of course) jokes about Sikhs. That is the only way to be sure the jokes will be good humored and hurt nobody. Jews are famous for doing so and I think it works for them.

An other thing with jokes is that they are often very cultural dependent. What in one culture is percieved to be a rude insult might go totally unnoticed in an other. (e.g. the Mohammed cartoons in 'Christian' culture, compared to the Monty Python Movie "life of Brian"). So I'm not sure if Sikh (Punjabi) culture is self reflectant enough to make it's own humour or jokes.

I think my culture (I'm Dutch) is rather joke insensitive. Our (stand up) comedians make jokes about everything. We value these people as they make us look into a mirror. That might not always be pretty but it shows our problems. If jokes are absolutely wrong (have nothing to do with reality and people do not recognize anyting in them) then nobody likes them and the comedian will not stand a chance (he or she will just be ignored, which is, I think, one of worst things you can do to a comedian). So to my experience jokes (humour) can be healty for a community too. Sometimes a joke is the better way (less confronting) of telling somebody how you think about him/her.
Jaspworld
Active Forum User

Post by Jaspworld »

Hello,

How can you stop them? The best strategy is to become a good Sikh model yourself and then these jokes will be proven wrong themselves. Then next time someone tries to read or write a Sikh joke they'll know that they're being hypocrite.

Regards.
kulbir_singh
Active Forum User

Post by kulbir_singh »

Can't we LEGALLY stop such websites from publishing jokes attacking on a particular community...
Manjit Singh
Active Forum User

Post by Manjit Singh »

Sardar Kulbir Singh Ji,

Waheguru Ji Ka Khalsa
Waheguru Ji Ki Fateh,

The joke is on them. If one grew up in India, they know how common sardar/jat jokes are among people. Anyways, with our number being small in India, I think only thing that can be done is unite and throw in lawsuits against these organizations where ever they are found. Another better option in my opinion is to do nothing. Some of these people are looking for reaction, and Sikhs have not been giving them reaction, so it works best. It shows their inferior and insecure state of mind. And, sometimes, it is okay to laugh at ourselves too. The biggest joker among our community is "Khushwant Singh". Check out his joke books if you get a chance. Also, I have noticed that many of these jokes are the same, for Italians, Polish, Blonds, etc. People just take the joke and recycle it by adding sardar in stead of an Italian or Polish or Jew or others etc.
Lee Douglas
Power User

Post by Lee Douglas »

Ahh my freind please do a similar search for jokes about the Irish, or the English or Jews or Muslims, Hindus, Christians, teachers, policemen, politcians.

There are countless jokes about countless people, let it go my freind, after all they are only jokes.
Theodorus
Power User

Post by Theodorus »

kulbir_singh ji,
Can't we LEGALLY stop such websites from publishing jokes attacking on a particular community...
I think you shouldn't even try..... as this is probably just the thing they are aiming for. Sikhs trying to legally stop them and not succeeding.
So I agree with Manjit Singh ji,
Another better option in my opinion is to do nothing. Some of these people are looking for reaction, and Sikhs have not been giving them reaction, so it works best. It shows their inferior and insecure state of mind. And, sometimes, it is okay to laugh at ourselves too.
Besides the jokes are made on the internet. What law would prevent them?
himmat_singh
Power User

Post by himmat_singh »

ssarabjit68 wrote:Next time you see a Sardar joke, don't get all worked up.
Theodorus wrote:The only solution I can see is to take over yourself. Meaning that Sikhs should make (good humored of course) jokes about Sikhs. That is the only way to be sure the jokes will be good humored and hurt nobody.
Jaspworld wrote:The best strategy is to become a good Sikh model yourself and then these jokes will be proven wrong themselves.
Manjit Singh wrote:Another better option in my opinion is to do nothing. Some of these people are looking for reaction, and Sikhs have not been giving them reaction, so it works best.
Lee Douglas wrote: There are countless jokes about countless people, let it go my freind, after all they are only jokes.
So many quite laid back people in this Sikhnet community. It's nice to know a lot of Sikhs can take a joke. Life is for living and accepting people's ways, not for getting upset over words.

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji ki Fateh
kulbir_singh
Active Forum User

Post by kulbir_singh »

Lee Douglas wrote:Ahh my freind please do a similar search for jokes about the Irish, or the English or Jews or Muslims, Hindus, Christians, teachers, policemen, politcians.

There are countless jokes about countless people, let it go my freind, after all they are only jokes.
Thanks LEE ji for ur views, I did a similar search for HINDUS and MUSLIMS sms jokes in google and i found a very very few, almost none sites. And if u find a hindu joke there, that would be good humored and friendly. As THEODORUS ji said, the jokes may be good humored and friendly or mean and denigrating. The jokes which are made on SARDARS are always mean and denigrating spreading lies about sikhs to TAKE SADISTIC DELIGHTS IN HUMILIATING THE MINORITY SIKHS, MAKE THEIR DIGNITY VANISHED AND MAKE FUN OF THEIR DIFFERENT LOOK AND RECOGNITION OF STANDING OUT AMONG A CROWD.
A joke is good when it is up to a limit, but when it will attack on the sikh dignity, at least i am not any more ready to endure or tolerate it. I recently passed out my graduation in some college where one of my so-called humorous class professor is addicted to make jokes on sardars. Everytime he used to make such jokes in the class and to start the joke he used to say "IK WARI NA IK SARDAR JI HUNDE NE" (ONCE UP ON A TIME THERE WAS A SARDAR JI) and immediately after it and during and after the joke, all the class used to start laughing shoutly with slapping the table repeatedly by looking at me (as i was the only sikh boy student in the class of hindus), and i could not do anything but to go red in the face.
Once i went on a college bus trip in which i was again alone sardar. During journey, one of the student got up and standing in the aisle started to crack sikh jokes, meanwhile the bus reached to a historical gurudwara and stopped for visit. Seeing this, that very student said to the fellows with a sign of fear on his face that they must stop cracking jokes as the Sewadars, standing at entering of gurudwara, had kept big kirpans and other weapons with them.
What is this? This clearly proves that sikh jokes are made to take sadistic delights in humiliating the minority sikhs. What one does privately is none of our business but if such jokes are cracked in public then sikhs should have every right to object. It is time that we should unite and stop accepting this sadistic delights of others.