Why sikh females prefer non-sikh males?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
deepharn
Power User

Why sikh females prefer non-sikh males?

Post by deepharn »

Sikhs take pride in the fact that when invaders would come to India and capture/imprison women and take them back to their country, sikhs would intervene/fight the invaders, recover the imprisoned women, save the honour of women, and return them back to their villages/cities.
Sikh are proud of this fact.

What has happened today, that many sikh females prefer to marry non-sikh males - this is a universal phenomenon both in India and abroad and amongst both educated/well employed and uneducated/unemployed females. sikh parents also accept the fact and some encourage it too.

Does any body know what could be the cause of this sociological choice exhibited by sikh females?
Yugrajveer Singh Chauhan
New User

Re: Why sikh females prefer non-sikh males?

Post by Yugrajveer Singh Chauhan »

I do not think if sikh females prefer to marry non-sikh males but clean-shaven sikh males.

Why ? Onle sikh females can answer this question.
PCJ2K
Power User

Post by PCJ2K »

deepharn wrote: Sikhs take pride in the fact that when invaders would come to India and capture/imprison women and take them back to their country, sikhs would intervene/fight the invaders, recover the imprisoned women, save the honour of women, and return them back to their villages/cities.
Sikh are proud of this fact.
I personally don't see any relationship between Sikhs saving women a few centuries ago and someone willing to marry Sikhs today. Why should someone marry a Sikh today just because Sikhs saved women couple hundred years ago. Even if Sikhs saved women today, this would not be a good reason for someone to marry a Sikh.

Basically, there is no relationship between one person saving women and someone else wanting to marry someone of the same background as the person saving women.

What's more important is compatibility.

Having said this, I neither deny nor confirm any anything from History.
deepharn wrote:
What has happened today, that many sikh females prefer to marry non-sikh males - this is a universal phenomenon both in India and abroad and amongst both educated/well employed and uneducated/unemployed females. sikh parents also accept the fact and some encourage it too.

Does any body know what could be the cause of this sociological choice exhibited by sikh females?
First reason seems to be simply compatibility. Some of the ladies simply don’t think that there is compatibility between her and a Sikh guy.

Second seems to be is that a nice Sikh guy is usually too shy and an aggressive guy usually is too aggressive. So some of those who have love marriage end up with non-Sikhs.

Plus, it seems like Sikhs spend a lot of time telling people that they are not Sikhs if they trim their hair. So, it wouldn’t surprise me if this kind of behavior causes ladies not to marry a Sikh guy.
Live your life to the fullest, Lord will take care of the rest...
What a wonderful world: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5IIXeR5 ... re=related

or

Neelay gagan ke talay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ipuJOUwWkD8
suji singh
Power User

Post by suji singh »

First, it is not an established fact that a statistically significant number of Sikh females prefer non-Sikh males. Anecdotally, to the contrary, a negligible number do.

Second, most Sikh females living in Punjab do not select their mates. Indeed, Sikh females living abroad have some flexibility, however, they still need parental consent in most cases.

A simple answer to your questioin based Darwinian Principle of Selection: Given the choice, all humans (species) are pre-programmed to select mates for the preservation of best traits.

Bottom line, a Sikh female will select the best match among all the males including non-Sikhs if she has a choice, something wrong if she does not. The same goes for males as well. This is natural and healthy. Unfortunately, majority of Sikh females are not free to select their mates.
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Post by Nihal Singh Kanakpuria »

Suji Singh,

Its extremely naive to say women are just following the natural process of selection and selecting partners with "best traits" and just leave it there.

What are these best traits ?, are they really traits or a mere reflection of what the media is pushing down our throat ?.
Are women and men for that matter really thinking on their own ?, Do they know what they really want or is it more of women thinking i want what the cute girl in gillete advert has.

I hvnt seen a single advert where a sikh man with beard is shown sharing a romantic moment with his lady, so this becomes an unconcievable event to some ppl, for example PCK2K. Who has already conviently boxed nice sikh guys as shy and aggresive as too aggresive, so as to make men completely responsible for the choices some sikh women make, rather then making an attempt to understand what makes them make such a choice.

This mentality can be well understood by a women taking pride on purchase of a Louis Vuitton bag even when there is another non-adverstised, more durable,more visually appealing , more cost effective and environmentally friendly bag in the market. Just cos the non advertised bag does not satisfy the false and empty desire created by the Louis Vuitton adverts that can be satisfied only by the branded bag.

Understanding humans is extremely complex activity, one should look at things objectively rather than applying blanket Oprah winfrey or Dr Phil suggestions to complex behaviours
VictoryEverlasting
Active Forum User

Post by VictoryEverlasting »

This topic goes along the lines of...
why some Sikh cut their hair...cause they think it makes them look 'better' / visually appealing or some other reason...that I probably will never understand.
and same way...why some Sikh women want clean shaven men.

end of topic..its just the way it is. let it ride...

:/
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Post by vikramjit gurufateh singh »

Fateh parwaan karro jiyo,

Girls and boys who put Sikhi first marry Sikhs. I do not think one can expect girls and boys who are not firm in their Sikhi to marry Sikhs.

Its all about one's own abidance.

Guru Rakha
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
haynem
New User

Post by haynem »

Who Cares.......they(those particular sikh females mentioned above) loose. There are plenty others (sikhs and non sikhs) to go around and willing to become new generation sikhs. In the end of the day Khalsa will rule. Cheers
keshgarh
Active Forum User

Post by keshgarh »

Let me first address the question head on- why sikh females prefer non sikh males?
I asked some sikh girls- they said that- non sikh boys look more handsome, neat, movie star-like and romantic. Sikh boys with beard look totally non-romantic and too religious.
HOwever ,
THere are two more facets to this statement-
--- the non-sikh girls too prefer non-sikh males.
--- sikh males are not in the preference of sikh or non-sikh females.

SO who is to be blamed?
- THe system( for the emergence of too much broad mindedness)
- THe Females( for Being too choosy), or thinking themselves much more beautiful compared to bearded sikh males.
- THe males( for loosing the battle of proving themselves smatter then their counterparts, for not excelling in any field be it games , be it singing, be it science, be it research etc etc)
- THe indian or western movies ( where sikhs males only get roles of taxi-drivers or gate keepers at 5- star hotels)
- THe media ( who is hardly projecting sikh males in positive light)

as of now i will leave it at this but come back with some more thought - provoking answers to Deepharn ji's dilemma or statement.

-
KaurPrincess
Active Forum User

Post by KaurPrincess »

i'm not that age yet, but i think its cos of the media and sikh girls living abroad tend to prefer what their friends do?
i dunno....
(random quote - i'll change it every so often)

"The trouble with the rat race is that even if you win you're still a rat!"