Dera-Sikh clash! How many more Sikhs will be killed ?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
Harbhajan S. Sangha
Power User

Dera-Sikh clash! How many more Sikhs will be killed ?

Post by Harbhajan S. Sangha »

DERA-SIKH CLASH! HOW MANY MORE SIKHS WILL BE KILLED ?

Dera-Sikh clash: Three arrested in connection with firing

MUMBAI, JUNE 21 (PTI)
Three persons have been arrested in connection with the firing by the body guard of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Ram Rahim Singh outside a suburban mall here, which left one person dead.

"Three persons of the group, who are suspected to have fired, have been arrested and the revolver used in the crime has also been recovered from them," a senior police officer said here.

A group of Sikhs had raised anti-Dera slogans inside the Nirmal Lifestyles mall in suburban Mulund during a visit by the Dera head to the place last evening, which led to an altercation between Singh's supporters and the Sikh group, that later turned violent.

Asked if any action would be taken against the sect head, the officer said it will depend only upon the progress made during investigations and on the statements of arrested people as well as the witnesses.

A case of murder, attempt to murder and unlawful assembly under the provisions of Arms Act has been registered in connection with the incident, which left one dead and two others injured.

The police officer said the entire probe into the case has been now handed over to the city police's crime branch for investigation.

The body of the deceased, Balkar Singh Thakur Singh has been, meanwhile, sent for postmortem and security has been beefed up across the city to avert any possibility of road blockades by the Sikh community to protest against the incident.

Security has been stepped up at the mall, the Mulund police station and other spots in the vicinity.

The Lal Bahadur Shastri Marg, and the Eastern Express Highway, both important arterial roads, were blocked by protestors from the Sikh community till 0230 hours this morning but traffic has been moving smoothly since daybreak.

Ram Rahim Singh left Khopoli last night itself and is reported to have reached Pune airport from where he will take a flight for a north Indian destination, police sources said.

"A mob of over hundered persons were stopped on their way to Khopoli at Airoli junction on the Eastern Express highway resulting in a traffic blockade. We had reports that the mob was on its way to take action ....Against Singh and his followers, who were held near Khopoli," the officer added.

Sikhs have been enraged at Singh after he was seen at a public function dressed as Sikh Guru Gobind Singh in Haryana's Sirsa where a religious commune started by him is located.

*************************************************************************************************

MURDER AT THE MALL
Guard of Sirsa's rapist baba shoots a Sikh dead, Baba whisked away
Emergency meeting at 6 pm at Sri Guru Singh Sabha Dadar
WSN Bureau

MUMBAI: SHOTS rang out in a crowded Mall in India's commercial and business capital Mumbai when security guards of Dera Sauda head Gurmeet Ram Rahim fired point blank into unarmed, innocent Sikhs protesting against the self-styled fraudulent holy man. One Sikh was killed, the Baba was whisked away.

The incident occured at the upmarket Nirmal Lifestyle Mall and agitating Sikhs immediately took to the streets and blocked traffic. The victim was identified as Balkar Singh. Two others were also injured. The Dera chief was present in the area when the killing happened.

The Sikh community in Mumbai has announced that they will not cremate Balkar Singh, unless the 'Baba' is arrested.

On Saturday, the Sikhs blocked railway tracks and a shutdown was observed in areas dominated by the community. Last evening witnessed clashes between Sikh protesters and bodyguards Gurmeet Ram Rahim.

India's federal investigative agency, the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI), has named Gurmeet as a prime accused in murder and rape cases but the Government of India continues to back and support the baba because of his anti-Sikh stance.

Sikhs squatted on railway tracks near Mulund station and stopped suburban and long distance train services from 11.30 a.m. This inevitably caused some hardship to thousands of office-goers and college students.

A Central Railway spokesman said the agitators blocked all the four lines and damaged the Mulund railway station. He added that two suburban lines were later cleared with police help and the other two would be cleared soon.

Mulund and neighbouring suburbs of northeast Mumbai remained tense Saturday with a shutdown observed since morning. Groups of Sikhs were seen walking the streets, brandishing swords.

All schools and colleges run by the Sikh community remained closed and a shutdown was in place in Sikh majority areas in Thane district like Kalyan and Ulhasnagar.

Badal protests

Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal has called his Maharashtra counterpart Vilasrao Deshmukh and demanded that those responsible for the firing be arrested. Maharashtra Deputy Chief Minister R.R. Patil ordered an inquiry into the incident.

SGPC chief Avtar Singh Makkar and the DSGMC chief Paramjit Singh Sarna, alongwith many others, have expressed solidarity with the Sikhs in Mumbai and urged the government of Maharashtra to arrest the pseudo-baba.

SGPC has announced a grant of Rupees two lakhs for the family of the deceased who was a daily wage earner for his family.

Some of India's TV news channels went hammer and tongs against the Sikh protesters in their bulletins, ignoring the long drawn out struggle being put up by the Sikh community against the Baba who has been provided Z-level security by the state, the highest in the land. The Sikhs of course must take care during the protests because there is no end to the embedded enemies in the media that will make a mountain out of any mistake.

And for a community that professes Sarbat Da Bhala, it is all the more necessary that it sends out signals to that effect.

And the TV channels would do well to see the restraint of the Sikhs over the months right from the time when the Sikh crowds could have razed Salabatpura dera to dust but held their rage and anger. The point is: When will the media start seeing the things in a wholesome perspective?

20 June, 2008
With Divine Love & Blessings of Waheguru Ji, may you all enjoy: peace, unconditional love, light (enlightenment), health, happiness & prosperity in life !
vikramjit gurufateh singh
Power User

Re: Dera-Sikh clash! How many more Sikhs will be killed ?

Post by vikramjit gurufateh singh »

Saad Sangath Ji,

Fateh

This Dera is a vote bank and that's why despite serious charges against the Dera and the Dera Chief Government is treating him and the Dera with kid's gloves.

In Haryana there is a Congress Government and the Dera os close to the Congress. Had there been a Congress Government in Punjab I'm sure any protests against the Dera would have been dealt with a strong hand.

Now questions are being asked that if he had Z Plus Security then why were gun licenses given to his personal security?

Guru Rakhaa
kabeer kookar ram ko mutheea maero nao ||
Kabeer, I am the Lord's dog; Moti is my name.
galae hamarae jaevaree jeh khinchai theh jao ||74||
There is a chain around my neck; wherever I am pulled, I go. ||74||
Power User

http://www.ndtv.com/convergence/ndtv/st ... 0080054024
Sunday, June 22, 2008 (Mumbai/ Mysore)
Police on Sunday shifted Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh to an undisclosed destination for ''security reasons'' amid continued protests over the gunning down of a Sikh demonstrator in Mumbai while radical groups demanded the Dera Sacha Sauda chief's immediate arrest.

As protests by Sikh groups spilled over into Bangalore, Mysore and Jammu besides several towns of Punjab and Haryana, SGPC president Avtar Singh Makkar appealed to them to ''maintain calm and not to allow themselves to be provoked.''

He said the protests should be within the ''parameters of the law'' and announced Rs 5 lakh to dependents of Balkar Singh Thakur, 40, who was killed when Ram Rahim Singh's security guards allegedly opened fire on Sikh demonstrators near a mall in suburban Mulund on Friday.

The head of the Sirsa-based sect was whisked away by police to an undisclosed place this morning after he reached Mysore from Bangalore.

The controversial spiritual leader arrived in his bullet -proof car and headed straight to the sect's Prathana Mandir at Siddalingapara on the city's outskirts, but police shifted him from there apprehending a threat to his life as his presence had triggered protests by local Sikh groups.

Swords and daggers drawn, members of the community also blocked traffic on Jammu-Pathankote national highway and burnt the Dera chief in effigy in Sirsa, Moga and Sangrur though the protests remained by and large peaceful, police reports said.

Radical groups Damdami Taksal and Sant Samaj demanded that Ram Rahim Singh be arrested by Tuesday after which they would call a rail and road blockade. They also asked the Centre to withdraw Z plus security cover to the Dera chief.

All that I can say is .... this happens only in India.
GABHRUji
Active Forum User

Post by GABHRUji »

why is indian media so anti sikh?? i was reading thru sum of indian news channel websites and the headlines on sum of the news were like " sikh mob go wild in mumbai " and so on...which sikh mob ?? those arent hired thugs from bihar brought there to create havoc....those r an average citizens....and i was seeing sum of the videos posted there and police going crazy after sikh protestors....sum 5-6 police men were beating sum old sikh guy with sticks.....wat kinda democracry is that ?? reminded me of 84 riots.......police rather then arresting the fraud baba is going after sikhs.....
Power User

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/Indi ... 154526.cms
Sena chief: We will hit back if Sikhs repeat act
23 Jun 2008, 0034 hrs IST, S Balakrishnan,TNN

MUMBAI: Shiv Sena chief Bal Thackeray on Sunday warned Sikhs in Mumbai against indulging in further violence.

Thackeray was reacting to the violence that occurred in Mumbai on Friday and Saturday after a Sikh protester was gunned down allegedly by a bodyguard of Dera Sacha Sauda chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh.

In a strongly-worded statement frontpaged by party organ, Saamna , Thackeray said it was the Sena which had protected Sikhs in Mumbai after the assassination of Indira Gandhi.

Thackeray noted that a large number of Sikhs were seen roaming around the streets of Mulund brandishing swords and attacking innocent people, including women. Train commuters were targeted for no fault of theirs, he said, adding that several women went to the Shiv Sena shakha in Mulund and complained to local leader Prabhakar Shinde about the violence.

However, despite complaints from Shinde, the police failed to take action, he added. Thackeray said the Sikhs should ask their elders about the Delhi riots in case they had forgotten about them. He further pointed out that if the anti-Sikhs riots did not spread to Mumbai in 1984, it was largely because of the Shiv Sena.

He said the then President, Giani Zail Singh, had thanked him for protecting members of his community in Mumbai while those in Delhi had suffered.

Sources in the Sena said party activists would not remain mute spectators if the Sikhs resorted to violence in future.

"The open display of swords, assaults on innocent men and women, forced closure of shops and vandalising of railway property have angered Thackeray and his son Uddhav. We will hit back if the Sikhs repeat their acts. Nobody is justifying the opening of fire by the Dera bodyguard, but why should innocent people and public property in Maharashtra be targeted?" a senior Sena leader asked.
1/It is a well known fact that Mumbai Sikhs paid Shiv Sena
2/ Thackrey should think what would Shiv Sena do if some person charged with rape and murder dressed up like Shivaji?
3/ Thackrey reminds Sikhs of 1984 riots. Sikhs should remind him of the time when a few thousand and sometimes a few hundred marauders crossed into India wan looted people and took away their women. And it was Sikhs who put their lives at peril and chased the marauders and brought the women back
4/ Thackrey needs to go to Andmans and read the names of the people who were gaoled by the Britishers for fighting for India's Independence. He'll find that Sikhs outnumber Hindus and Sikhs are only 2% of India's population. Hindus are the majority and Sikhs are a minority in India
5/ Thackrey should check out the role of Sikhs in the wars independent India has fought.

You can send your thoughts to Thackrey : [email protected]
( Saamana is the mouthpiece of Shiv Sena)
Power User

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/mumbai-stil ... 603-3.html
Mumbai still tense, govt trying to diffuse Sikh standoff

Shoaib Ahmed / CNN-IBN

Published on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 11:09 in Nation section

Tags: Dera Sacha Sauda, Mulund Firing , Mumbai

A LIFE SHATTERED: Balkhar Singh was allegedly shot dead by Baba Ram Rahim Singh's bodyguard.

Mumbai: The Maharashtra government is trying to defuse a tense situation in Mumbai city following the killing of one person in firing allegedly by the Dera Sacha Sauda chief's bodyguard on Friday.

Forty-five-year-old Balkhar Singh was allegedly shot dead by Dera Sachcha Sauda Chief, Baba Ram Rahim Singh's bodyguard in Mumbai's Mulund area. The Dera Chief's bodyguard allegedly opened fire when Sikhs started chanting anti-Dera slogans in a mall that Baba Ram Rahim Singh was visiting.

Balkhar Singh's wife, Darshan Kaur is yet to come to terms with her loss. Wringing her hands in despair, she asks of nobody in particular: "What will I do now? He's gone!"

The Dera Chief has been at loggerheads with the Sikh clergy for a long time now. The trouble started last year after he appeared in a newspaper advertisement dressed as the tenth Sikh Guru - Guru Gobind Singh - and was shown distributing amrit (holy water) to people.

The controversy died a natural death after Baba Ram Rahim issued an apology. However, angry sentiments still simmered below the surface and the firing incident on Friday triggerred an erruption of Sikh community's pent up anger.

Following Balkhar Singh's death, angry protesters from the Sikh Community took to the streets late on Friday evening. They blocked major roads including the Eastern Express Highway and even stopped trains in Mulund on Saturday.

The police retaliated with lathicharge and even had to resort to tear gassing the mob, when people refused to disperse.

The Shiromani Gurdwara Prabandhak Committee (SGPC) made an appeal to the community on Sunday to refrain from violence and SGPC Chief, Avtaar Singh Makkar appealed to the community to be calm and maintain peace.

It was only when Maharashtra state Home Minister, R R Patil assured the community that strict action would be taken against the accused that the protest was called off till Monday. The State Minorities Commission has recommended judicial inquiry into the firing incident. The coming week will determine the state government's role in diffusing this standoff.

Meanwhile, the core committee of the Shiromani Akali Dal is meeting in Chandigarh on Monday. There is also going to be a Khalsa Action committee meeting on Monday afternoon.

(With inputs from Tanaya Adarkar and Deborah Grey in Mumbai)
The link has the photograph of the Sikh killed.
djs2281
New User

Post by djs2281 »

Video clippings of merciless beating of innocent and unarmed Sikhs in Mumbai did not evoke any sympathy from the media-print as well as electronic just because this was preceded by clippings of sikh youth carrying unsheathed swords and stoning public property. The sikh community must ponder over this issue. Unsheathing of swords and taking to streets did not augur well for the image of this valiant community, spread all over the globe. Present political as well as religious leadership of the Sikhs, starved of any ideas of solving their own internal problems, will jump at smallest opportunity to divert attention of gullible sikh masses. The sikh leaders lost no time in dashing to Mumbai instead of solving internecine war between sikh priests. Welfare of the community is the last item on their agenda .It is unfortunate that sikh intelligentsia has almost become irrelevant in leading the community at such critical juncture, leaving the community at the mercy of wily politicians and selfish religious leaders.
Let us not forget that our panthic leaders were in attendance in Sirsa dera just before Punjab assembly election and it will be no surprise if they again broker peace with him before next general election.Ram Rahim is alraedy being tried in court for insulting sikh panth.Let us wait for court verdict.
Anmol M Singh
New User

Post by Anmol M Singh »

Bala Thackery certainly is baised against Non Maharashtrains. But I would appluad the Current Mumbai Police Commissioner for speaking in favour of the Sikh community. He said that the sword is part of the Sikh religion, though there was display of open swords but not a single Non-Sikh was injured. It was just a mark of protest.

Plus the local Marathi News channel also spoke in favour of Sikhs, stating possibility of causing disturbunce in the forcoming "Gurtaa Gadi Diwas" to be held at Nanded in Oct this year.

We should always thanks people / groups who speak in our faour.

Roiting possibly is not the right way to handle such situations, but the saddest truth is that Government in India doesn't listen to you until force is applied. Since 84-roits, 2 decades of silence and not a single curprit convicted. It is but natural to loose ones tamper.

Sikhs have taken the legal path in case of 84-roits as well, where lawyer H S Phoolka has been fighting cases for roit victims since last 2 decades. Same is the case of Gurbachan Nirankari, responsible for killing Sikhs in 1978 at Amritsar & Kanpur, was set free by the court from all cases in 1980.
Power User

http://www.ibnlive.com/news/dera-chief- ... 616-3.html
Dera chief asked to leave Mysore, then Delhi

CNN-IBN

TimePublished on Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 13:20, Updated at Mon, Jun 23, 2008 in Nation section

SECT CHIEF BUNDLED OUT: Dera Sacha Sauda chief asked to leave Delhi promtly.

New Delhi: Dera Sacha Sauda chief Baba Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh returned to his headquarters in Sirsa in Haryana after the police shifted him out of his ashram in Mysore in the middle of the night to prevent trouble.

The Dera chief took a Monday morning flight to Delhi and was promptly put on a helicopter to Sirsa. Sources in the Delhi Police said the Dera chief, who faces a threat to his life, was put on a helicopter to prevent trouble in the national capital.

The Dera chief took refuge in his ashram in Mysore on Saturday after violent protests against him in Mumbai.

Sikhs in Karnataka held a demonstration opposing his entry and demanded his expulsion from the state. According to sources, Mysore police visited his ashram and advised him to leave at around 1400 hrs IST on Monday.

Eleven persons associated with the Dera Saccha Sauda were arrested in Mumbai on Monday in connection with the gunning down of a Sikh allegedly by a bodyguard of Dera chief outside a mall in suburban Mulund.

Besides this, a total of 27 persons have been arrested on charges of rioting for indulging in protests against the killing yesterday, police said. The 11 arrested in connection with the murder case were remanded to police custody till July 2 while those held for rioting have been remanded to police custody till June 26.
Dera Chief on the run. He's now back in Sirsa. Though there were orders banning his entry into Sirsa the orders were lifted by Congress Government.
Power User

Saad Sangaht Ji,

Fateh.

Balasahib is a bully and he makes noise only in Maharashtra.

Didn't Sikhs brandish kirpans during the times of the Mughals and during the British Raaj? Then I'm sure Balasahib's ancestors must have applauded the Sikhs for sticking their heads out.

In the riots there been just one injury and that too is not confirmed. Imagine practically every second Sikh was brandishing a Kipran and no fatalities! Just shows that Sikhs brandished the Kirpans responsibly.

And then Balasahib knows that the Sikhs were brandishing Kirpans against the Dera Chief and his body guards.

I feel Balasahib's weak in History. Because had his history not been weak he would not have objected to Sikhs brandishing Kirpans. Yes Balasahib's geography is good because he roars only in Maharashtra. Outside Maharashtra he's meows!

I understand now the Dera Chief is under Dera Arrest (like house arrest) in Sirsa.

Guru Rakha