KARAM/KARMI Meaning???

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

KARAM/KARMI Meaning???

Postby pooja » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:05 pm

I remember the following three quote :

1 KARMI Aavaii Kapra, NADRI Moth Duwar

2. KARMI KARMI Hoi Vichar

3. KARMI Apo Apni, Kai Nadhe Kai Door.

I think these lines explain that whataever we have in this life, these are all accounted from our previous Karmas.
Sorrows/joys we feel all are due to our Karmas.

But, my question is - There must be one (first Janam) life where we started from or started accumulating Karma.
When was that first life we started.

And another question- people (population) are increasing in number and many of them may not have previous karma. They are new people, where they come from? Are new souls are generating from light without karmas? If yes, they may have sorrows and joys in their lives- why?

Thanks
pooja
Active Forum User

Re: KARAM/KARMI Meaning???

Postby Satyajit Singh » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:37 pm

Pooja ji, A very good inquiry, on the topic of Karma best explanation that I have heard is from Dr David R Hawkins in his trilogy books, "Power vs Force", "Eye of the I" and "I", on his fan web site 'consciousnessproject.com' there is a PDF file that has a detail subject index for the book "I". there is also radio interviews archives with Dr Hawkins 'beyond the ordinary'. I have found Hawkins work very helpful in understanding Gurbani.

I understood previous lives are necessary to have Karma. And there are other life forms such as plants and animal and bacterias that could collect Karma, I guess, I'm not sure. I love the deep insight of Gurbani that you quoted, that Guru Maharaj are pointing us to the realization that this is a fortunate opportunity to undo bad Karma and do good Karma in this life. I have also learned that the joy is from our inner self, our real self and has no opposite, just like light doesn't have an opposite and darkness is an absence of light not its opposite, so joy and love has no opposite, and sorrow and suffering is an absence of love. Thus sorrow and suffering is an invention of the mind. Best wishes.
Satyajit Singh
New User

Postby manvir singh » Fri Jul 24, 2009 11:03 pm

Ji,

I believe the concept of Karma is very mis-understood and mis-interpreted.

People relate Karma as fate, but do not understand the manner in which it acts within the world and within peoples lives.

Yes, indeed, being born within a certain family is Karma, yes accumulation of wordly attachments is Karma

Indeed, Karma is not whether or not we will obtain a good job, or certain amount of digits in our bank account.

Karma is that which is manifest in the subconscious of the soul. It is accessible and malleable according to whether the conscious taps into it.

For example, an individual may have committed various good deeds in a certain life, and in the next life come under the influence of various negative attachments. They may at some point feel within their conscious the attraction to a Spiritual revelation or insight (Guru {light dispels darkness}- Gurmukh), but they may choose (mind - manmukh) to ignore it.

There is a Sakhi (although I can not recall the names of the individuals involved), in which the two individuals are described as per their previous lives and the opportunity to complete their journey of life. One of them fell back into the trap of duality, and became separated from the path of Dharma (Righteous Living) that would lead to emancipation. {Perhaps a Online member can post a link to this Sakhi}.

Karma is far more dynamic than we are capable of understanding.

Gurfateh!
“Be inspired, appreciate your life, and love others as you find divinity within them, Blessings."
http://sikhinspiredhealth.motionsforum.com/index.htm
manvir singh
Active Forum User

Postby pooja » Sat Jul 25, 2009 12:00 pm

Satya Ji and manvir ji, Thank You.

I did not get the answer what i ask.

Population is increasing, many new people have fresh soul, and they have no previous life.
Are new souls generating in these people? we all may have started from beginning (first birth when we started accumulating karmas).

May be it's a mystery and nobody knows the answer.

Thanks again
pooja
Active Forum User

Postby Nihal Singh Kanakpuria » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:14 pm

I first came heard of this thought of souls multiplying in the movie "Before sunrise", where the protonogist questions the concept of soul and mentions that since population has increased over the years, have souls multipled as well and if so how.

I think the question arises because of how we view soul, most of us view soul as some something thats within us that departs/leaves our body once we die (hence the white light or shadow departing the body at death as shown in movies etc).

I am not yet sure what soul really is, but i believe its not something that enters our body when we are born and leaves us when we die. Soul isnt really within is but its us. Our body, our consiousness/sub consiousness is all manifestation of the of the great soul/light that is the creator. There is no distinction between our soul and the great soul or another soul.
Nihal Singh Kanakpuria
Power User

Postby csghumman » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:55 am

1 KARMI Aavaii Kapra, NADRI Moth Duwar

First line means that that your deeds prepare you for HIS grace.
Second line means that your deeds decides your fate.
Third line means that its because of the deeds that some people are closer to HIM while others are not.

There is nothing about previous lives.
NAAM=GOD'S ATTRIBUTES,JAPNA=CONTINUOUS EFFORTS TO ADOPT GOD'S ATTRIBUTES BY LIVING ACCORDINGLY
csghumman
Power User

Postby ekmusafir_ajnabi » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:20 pm

1 KARMI Aavaii Kapra, NADRI Mokh Duaar

By the karma of past actions, the robe of this physical body is obtained. By His Grace, the Gate of Liberation is found.

By the deeds and their actions, they shall be judged.

According to their own actions, some are drawn closer, and others are driven farther away.

I think these lines explain that what ever we have in this life, these are all accounted from our previous Karmas. Sorrows/joys we feel all are due to our Karmas.

Yes indeed.

But, my question is - There must be one (first Janam) life where we started from or started accumulating Karma. When was that first life we started.

Every individual will have a different starting point. Become a victim of Desires. When one made their first mistake/ welled up their first desire, it would be difficult to say.

And another question- people (population) are increasing in number and many of them may not have previous karma. They are new people, where they come from? Are new souls are generating from light without karmas? If yes, they may have sorrows and joys in their lives- why?

This earth is called a Karam Bhoomi. Without karmas life here cannot exist. It is ones unfulfilled desire that causes one’s return / to be reborn. Life exists in many planes. If souls are on the increase here in this realm, then there would be a decrease elsewhere in another plane. There are very few souls that really come out of this cycle.
ekmusafir_ajnabi
New User

Postby Guest » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:59 pm

Dear Pooja Ji,

I think the answer to your question is that karma comes in the life forms. Guru Ji tells us that we spent many life times in different forms. We have Lakh chaurasi 8.4 million lives as animals etc. That's alot of Karma already built up. I have never read anywhere that we (humans) started off as human with a chance to down grade. Our being human is a very lucky occasion as we have actually earned the chance to actually meet Waheguru and have our light merge with His. The way I see it, is that every human you run into has experienced alot of Karma through 8.4 million lifetimes and we have a final chance on Mukhti.

Devinder Singh

Postby Swaraj Singh » Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:38 pm

Hukam of the Almighty is manifested or prevalent everywhere.To accept that hukam or will is the greatest wisdom.
The life and karmas are delusion. We live in uncertainty of everything but there is no uncertainty with God. His master plan is set or fixed.To live in his will, accepting it as his plan is primary objective of Sikh or a believer.
Objects in his creation have the various degrees of freedom but not the will to use it.Everything is happening according to one master plan and our fate is fixed.
Knowledge of Karmas, good/bad is necessary to educate oneself or to recognize the positive path of life however karmas are delusional.Only hukam is present.
Swaraj Singh
New User

Postby gurmail » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:17 pm

My understanding of karma and past lives is different. In a strict literal sense I believe that we are born once and die once and that's the end of it. Karma means action. We live and should lead life of actions every day throughout our lives. The it makes perfect sense. Our condition at any point in time is affected by our past actions. Karams of our past life. We do change directions several times during our lives and start living differently. The are our past lives. As we change our direction, we can say we are reborn each time, especially if change is significant. Sometimes an insignificant action can have a major effect in life. Say a chance remark can upset a friend significantly, something said at interview, etc.
Where and to whom we are initially born defines our life trajectory and we make changes to this by our actions. Both good and bad actions change us and we are effectively reborn. Past baggage of habits acquired stays with us unless we follow Guru and ditch this baggage to lead a baggage free life.
If we are good then past baggage gets lighter.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion