Sikhs & Turbans

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
gurmail
Active Forum User

Sikhs & Turbans

Post by gurmail »

There seems to be a view going around in the non-sikhs that turbans are not a requirement because it is not mentioned specifically in the Rehat Mariada.

I heard this on you tube today, from an educated Indian, who said that French justified their Turban ban due to this and also some of the Sikhs have also said the same to him, implying that need for turbans is just made up. This narrative disturbed me.

All Sikhs know clearly (should know) why turbans are worn. We know what happened in Chandni Chowk. How one Sikh who was there confessed to Guru Gobind Singh Ji that he didn't step forward.

This is why the turbans are worn and are very much part of being a Sikh. That is why a turban is required. It make it clear to everyone that you have stepped forward up to the line to be counted.

Whenever a Chandni Chowk like incident happens, it is no longer necessary to dare a Sikh to step forward. By virtue of his/her Turban, a sikh is already on the line ready to be counted.

In recent times, after 9/11, we know that Sikhs were shot and killed in Americas, Australia also attempts to kill were made in UK. Sikhs did not throw their turbans away. They easily could have. They stayed on the line and were counted. This is a historical fact.

Conventional wisdom at one time was that non-sikh parents told their daughters to look for a sikh if they needed help. I don't know if this is still the case.

It also needs stating clearly that a sikh not wearing a turban perhaps is not yet ready to be counted. There is nothing wrong in that. It is not easy to step up and be counted.

A clear understanding is also required on why Sikhs refer to Guru Teg Bahadur Ji as Baba Ji and why Guru Gobind Singh is their Pita. House of Baba Ji is in Chandni Chowk.

We need clear understanding truths of who and why we are as we are. Above are historical facts, and there is no need to confuse others and ourselves with grand scholarly sounding sophisticated narratives.

Sikhs must not let others define who we are and why we are. If we let others define us then, given time, we will end up as others want us to be. In this respect we already seem to be somewhat on our way.

Moderator Note: Sikhnet is planning to convert the discussion forum to a read-only archive since plenty of topics have been already discussed and they can be searched on this or the old forum. Everyone please post your response (if any) soon.
gurmail
Active Forum User

Re: Sikhs & Turbans

Post by gurmail »

The moderator is correct. This has been discussed a lot. I didn't mean to bore anyone with well discussed topic. I shouldn't let untruths upset me too much.

However, I cannot help feeling that even if after a lot of discussion people are not clear then the message is either wrong or it's not getting there.