Clothing Debate?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
anmol2004
New User

Clothing Debate?

Post by anmol2004 »

Hi. Im a 15 year old teenager. Im into clothes, sneakers, designer brands, etc.

I understand that “Maya” (Illusion of the World) is heavily incorporated in the teachings of our Gurus.
However, does collecting sneakers, wearing nice-looking outfits, etc. go against this?
If I am not being prideful or looking down on people, then is there anything wrong?
As long as I don’t get too attached to these materialistic things I don’t see why not, correct?
I just want to be able to have a hobby, something to do in my freetime, collecting and shopping for nice looking clothes (in my opinion whichever clothes I like whether they are $5 or $500) that are aesthetically pleasing can be pleasureful, but not harmful.
If anyone has any insight or light to shed and bring in something informative, please reply. And please make your reply thorough and long! Thanks!
IJJSingh
Power User

Re: Clothing Debate?

Post by IJJSingh »

Anmol2004,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji Fateh.

Sikhi does not ask us to shun maya but rather to shun attachment of maya. Your clothes are OK as long as you don't do anything unethical to get them, or become resentful if you don't get them, or think you are better than others once you get them. You may find an episode from Guru Hargobind ji's life enlightening:

Guru Hargobind met Samarth Ramdas, a Maratha saint at Srinagar around 1634 AD. Fully armed and riding a horse, the Guru had just returned from an excursion.

"I had heard that you occupied the Gaddi of Guru Nanak", said Swami Ramdas.

"Guru Nanak was a Tyagi sadhu - a saint who had renounced the world. You are wearing arms and keeping an army and horses. You allow yourself to be addressed as Sacha Patshah, the True King. What sort of a sadhu are you?" asked the Maratha saint.

Guru Hargobind replied, "Internally a hermit, and externally a prince. Arms mean protection to the poor and destruction of the tyrant. Baba Nanak had not renounced the world but had renounced Maya, i.e. self and ego:

These words of Guru Hargobind found a ready response in the heart of Samarth Swami Ramdas who, as quoted in Pothi Panjak Sakhian (written by Hanumant Swami), spontaneously said, "this appealeth to my mind - Yeh hamare man bhavti hai".
ameliasheperd88
New User

Re: Clothing Debate?

Post by ameliasheperd88 »

IJJSingh wrote: Fri Sep 13, 2019 4:04 pm Anmol2004,

Waheguru ji ka Khalsa, Waheguru ji Fateh.

Sikhi does not ask us to shun maya but rather to shun attachment of maya. Your clothes are OK as long as you don't do anything unethical to get them, or become resentful if you don't get them, or think you are better than others once you get them. You may find an episode from Guru Hargobind ji's life enlightening:

Guru Hargobind met Samarth Ramdas, a Maratha saint at Srinagar around 1634 AD. Fully armed and riding a horse, the Guru had just returned from an excursion.

"I had heard that you occupied the Gaddi of Guru Nanak", said Swami Ramdas.

"Guru Nanak was a Tyagi sadhu - a saint who had renounced the world. You are wearing arms and keeping an army and horses. You allow yourself to be addressed as Sacha Patshah, the True King. What sort of a sadhu are you?" asked the Maratha saint.

Guru Hargobind replied, "Internally a hermit, and externally a prince. Arms mean protection to the poor and destruction of the tyrant. Baba Nanak had not renounced the world but had renounced Maya, i.e. self and ego:

These words of Guru Hargobind found a ready response in the heart of Samarth Swami Ramdas who, as quoted in Pothi Panjak Sakhian (written by Hanumant Swami), spontaneously said, "this appealeth to my mind - Yeh hamare man bhavti hai".
i totally agree with you what you are trying to say. thanks for sharing