Regarding touch any human being’s feet

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Regarding touch any human being’s feet

Postby ramneeksingh » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:12 am

In SGGS or Gurbani, where it is written that “ Sikh should not bow and touch any human being’s feet particularly of a Saint”?
ramneeksingh
New User

Re: Regarding touch any human being’s feet

Postby RHKAUR » Fri May 03, 2019 12:25 pm

I am not sure where it says this in the Gurbani however I remember the kattha i heard as a child that we only bow down to the Guru Garanth Sahib as s/he will give us the wisdom on being true humans. But I must ask, why would you touch someone's feet?

I believe our community gets lost in the translation of culture and religion and make everything they hear or see a ridiculous a custom or a tradition. By touching someones feet you honestly do not gain anything. I asked my dad and grandparents and they says its a sign or respect however in my eyes its showing that this person has more authority or power. In Sikhi all humans are equal and therefore touching feet is wrong.

I am not a truly religious person but I do like to question everything. I am sorry if i did not answer your question or offend you or someone else in ANY way.
RHKAUR
New User

Postby Bundha » Fri May 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Karam or cause and effect is a very complex thing, very intricate like a massive web of delicate links that is all reaching, but we do not see it. We do not see it because we do not have the spiritual intellect .Everything we do is recorded, everything we say is recorded and we will be answerable to all of them when we stand on our day of reckoning. It makes sense that we do good deeds and get as many blessings as we can as they will hold us in good stead.

Guru Ji tells us - 'Jo deesai gursikhra tis niv niv laago paae jio'

Does this suggest that bowing to someone means nothing ? Guru Ji is saying when you see a Gurus Sikh then bow down to him.

Bhagat Kabir Ji poses the question – who do you bow to if your Guru and the Almighty are standing infront of you?

Kabit Ji then says – You bow to your Guru first because only through your Guru did you realise the Almighty.

So who is your Guru when you are a baby? It is your mum. Your mum is your Guru because she looks after you, feeds you, keeps you warm, gave you birth. Would you not touch the feet of your mum? And if you do will she curse you? I would suggest she will bless you.

What happens when you bow to a true Mahapursh? You are bowing to the divine spirit that is manifest and glowing so brightly and will they curse you? No they will bless you.

So, I suggest we all leave our egos at the door and understand Gurus bani , there is a whole Sukhmani Sahib astpathi on Sadhus and a whole one on Brahm Giani

saaDhsang naanak parabh suparsan. ||2||
In the Company of the Holy, O Nanak, God is totally pleased. ||2||

If God is pleased when you are in the company of the holy then why would you not touch their feet.
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Bundha
Power User

Postby pgill89 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 2:24 pm

I was looking for a post like this.
I was recently married. When I got married, my husband asked me to touch all the elders feet. I was raised not to touch anyones feet. My family has always say girls dont touch feet. So I never did. When I got married, I was asked to. I am conflicted between both. I don't want to offend my in laws but I don't see a reason to touch feet.
Please give me some knowledge.
pgill89
New User

Postby JeejaJi » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:12 am

This practice started mostly as respect to gurus (teachers) and elders and as a sign of humbleness. There is no need if you don’t want to and feel uncomfortable. There is no religions basis to do it. Speak up and let your opinion known. I know it is not always easy...

pgill89 wrote:I was looking for a post like this.
I was recently married. When I got married, my husband asked me to touch all the elders feet. I was raised not to touch anyones feet. My family has always say girls dont touch feet. So I never did. When I got married, I was asked to. I am conflicted between both. I don't want to offend my in laws but I don't see a reason to touch feet.
Please give me some knowledge.
JeejaJi
Active Forum User

Return to Sikhi Discussion