Is IVF and Surrogacy acceptable in Sikhi?

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi
DarshanKaurSethi
New User

Is IVF and Surrogacy acceptable in Sikhi?

Post by DarshanKaurSethi »

Gurfateh ji,

I have a medical condition in which the doctors has said that I might not be able to have kids in the future and if i do it will be a very difficult process. I am currently seeking traditional treatment but only guru ji has a say in this.

I am currently single, tho my parents are looking for a gursikh for me, but I find it unfair to get to know the person or even marry anyone when I might not be able to provide the person with a family in the future.

I know there are many ways to have kids with the progression of Science, E.g IVF, Surrogacy and Adoption.

However is IVF and Surrogacy accepted in Sikhi? Is it really unfair for me to marry a gursikh when i know i might not be able to give him family?

Gurfateh ji
Darshan Kaur
Romesh Kumar
Power User

Re: Is IVF and Surrogacy acceptable in Sikhi?

Post by Romesh Kumar »

DarshanKaurSethi wrote:Gurfateh ji,

I have a medical condition in which the doctors has said that I might not be able to have kids in the future and if i do it will be a very difficult process. I am currently seeking traditional treatment but only guru ji has a say in this.

I am currently single, tho my parents are looking for a gursikh for me, but I find it unfair to get to know the person or even marry anyone when I might not be able to provide the person with a family in the future.

I know there are many ways to have kids with the progression of Science, E.g IVF, Surrogacy and Adoption.

However is IVF and Surrogacy accepted in Sikhi? Is it really unfair for me to marry a gursikh when i know i might not be able to give him family?

Gurfateh ji
Darshan Kaur
Being deeply personal matter between wife and husband, I don't think it has to do anything with any religion.
If any religion is so powerful and perfect then follower should not have had this kind of problem!Can any religion or religious practice cure this problem?
Adoption is the best in my personal views(if would be partner agrees).
I wish you all the best.
loveforsikhi
Active Forum User

Post by loveforsikhi »

Romesh Kumar wrote:
DarshanKaurSethi wrote:Gurfateh ji,

Gurfateh ji
Darshan Kaur
You'd be surprised that sometimes people are still able to have children, but I dont know your specific medical situation. Trying naturally at first is probably worth a shot. Sometimes there are medical interventions like fertility medications which a lot of people use before going to IVF, etc. IVF is very costly. Remember Mata Gujri was blessed with Gobind Rai (Guru Gobind Singh) 33 years after her marriage! So I'd say there is a component of patience and trust in God as well. I dont think there is anyhting against IVF, surrogacy or adoption. In terms of looking for a family, it's up to you but i feel it would be appropriate for you to mention upfront to people you are seriously considering as a partner that you may have trouble getting pregnant, and this is the sitaution. You dont want to have a lie (of omitting it) going into the relationship or it will cause more strain, and at the same time you'd marry someone prepared to face that challenge with you. I think it is unfair for you to leave yourself to a life of having to be single just becuase you found out early that you might not be able to have kids. You deserve to be married and happy. Just being honest about the situation is probably a good idea for a healthy relationship.
TyrantStryker
Active Forum User

Post by TyrantStryker »

I don't think there's an instance in Sikhi where science and medicine is rejected on a spiritual basis, we don't want to go down the path of other organized religions that adhere to anti-science psuedo-spritual practices. Is your condition PCOS by any chance? If so there's plenty of treatments well before exploring fertitlity that can treat such hormonal imbalances.

God Bless.