Former Christian wanting to change religions...

Discussions on various aspects of Sikhi

Former Christian wanting to change religions...

Post by Guest »

Most of my family has never read the bible, but they go to church once a week and say that's enough. However, I know more of the bible than even most Christians do. The thing that is hard for me is all of the violence in the book. I am a sensitive person and when I read something tragic happening to a person, I feel deep sorrow for them. However, the God of the Bible just throws human life away like it was yesterday's garbage. I got a whole list of them, but it's too long to share.

What is Sikhism? I read one website that it's monotheistic and another website that they worship the Hindu Gods. Which is it? Honestly, I want to be a monotheist and believe in one God. I just don't get all these Hindu Gods. I think one of them has a thousand arms and another one has a elephant nose. I'm sorry if I offend anyone, but can someone please explain Sikhism to me?
swarn bains
Power User

Re: Former Christian wanting to change religions...

Post by swarn bains »

the sikh religious scripture is called sree guru granth sahib. it only deals with spiritualism, nothing else. it has no stories. it is written in gurmukhi language which is an indian language. i have translated it in english. it is available at
www.swarnbains.tripod.com please down load and read it . if it appeals to u then proceed further. thank u for interest

Post by Guest »

Thank you so much, I will check it out.
Bundha
Power User

Post by Bundha »

Hello MacLeod,

Sikhism is a monotheistic faith that stresses great importance of the Oneness of God. He is a loving, caring, all pervading God. He is within us and around us and looks over us. He is our father and our mother our brother and closest friend. With Gods command Guru Nanak Dev Ji came to this world is 1469 to show the true path to God, His work was continued by 9 Gurus culminating with Guru Granth Sahib the Sikh scriptures. We see God in all people , there is no outsider, we are all one family.

Were are a few misconceptions cleared :

Although respected the Vedas, Puranas, Shastras (Hindu scriptures) hold no relevance to Sikhs.
Sikhs do not believe in fasting
Sikhs do not believe in the tilak and jineu, marks of the Hindu
Sikhs do not believe in high caste or low, all are one in the eyes of the Lord.
Sikhs do not hold any significance in ritual shaving of the head, in fact removing of hair id forbidden in Sikhism.
Sikhs reject Idol worship
The Gunga river (Ganges) holds no significance for a Sikh.
Brahama, Shivji and Vishnu hold no significance to a Sikh

The Quran holds no significance for a Sikh.
Circumcision holds no relevance to a Sikh.
Halal meat has no significance for a Sikh.
Sikhs do not go in for ritual slaughter of innocent animals.
Sikhs do not face in any particular direction, east or west, when praying.
Sikhs do not divide the world into believers and non-believers.
Sikhs believe that there are uncountable worlds in the universe (not just seven).
Sikhs do not believe there are rivers of wine and 72 virgins awaiting the 'believer' in the afterlife.
There is gender equality in Sikhism.
All are welcome in a Sikh place of worship, the Gurdwara.

Please visit my little site for more information : www.info-sikh.com
Guru Nanak Dev Ji Guru Gobind Singh Ji Guru Granth Sahib Ji Dasam Granth Sahib Ji.
Khalsa_Raj
New User

Post by Khalsa_Raj »

Introduction to Sikhism (Sikhi) talk done at a school in London. The talk is about 27 mins and then about 10 mins of Q&A.
This is a great place to start to learn about the Sikhs and also watch his other videos on youtube to go deeper "Basics of Sikhi" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wI2mm7esurs